This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10810 March 26th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
First of all, let me tell you that this forum is really great. I haven't come across such expert information on so many plants anywhere else on the web. Keep up the good work!
Secondly, I have a question regarding pruning, especially of ivies. I have heard that pruning induces bushiness in plants but haven't ever tried it as I was not sure if the stem should be pinched off right at the tip where the new leaves are unfolding or somewhere else. Actually I was scared that the stem may stop growing if I pruned the tip. Also which kind of plants benefit from pruning? Are there any that stop growing if pruned at the tip?
Please advise.

#10811 March 28th, 2003 at 12:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pinching is mostly a waste of time. It will not stop new growth, but the plant will try to put out new grwoth in the same place that you just pinched it out. This technique is effective if your goal is to keep the plant looking exactly the same and you are willing to keep pinching ad infinitum. It does not promote bushiness

Pruning is much more effective for keeping plants looking full and bushy. For trailing plants, such as ivies, periodically cut back the longest stems to within a few inches of the soil line. Remember this: new growth always emerges at the ends of the cut stems. Thus, if you want to promote new growth close to the pot, the you have to prune the stems back close to the pot.

Many tree-like plants, such as Ficus, also benefit from regular pruning. The pruning will help promote new growth in the center of the tree.

plants that have a single growing point, such as African violet, should not pe pruned or pinched. The same is true for palms. For these plants, once the growing tip is removed it will stop growing.

#10812 March 28th, 2003 at 01:08 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks very much for your help.

Link Copied to Clipboard