This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10702 October 26th, 2003 at 07:42 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi all,

I was just wondering where you usually go for your gardening supplies, especially soil, peat moss, sand, insecticides, fertilizers, etc.

I have not found anything even halfway decent around here for that kind of stuff. The best I've been able to do is miracle grow potting soil, and medium builders sand from Lowes. It seems to have worked alright for what I needed, but a lot of stuff I can't find there at all, and I'm not sure where else to look.

#10703 October 27th, 2003 at 04:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hey Boxmonkey,
Do you have Wal~Marts or K~Marts down there??
Home Depots? They all have garden centers now adays, local nursery centers..???
I can get a 25lbs of Shultz Plus potting soil
(my little trick is when it's going on to the
next season and they are trying to get rid of
it and put it at 50%~75% off to get it moving out the door, I buy 4~10 bags and store it up for the
following season... I'm not sure if your area ever gets a down time??? Does it??
I bought a great big huge container of Shultz water soluable fertilizer (10~60~10) at a local nursery... (I compost mostly though, just once in a while for the liquid)
Alot of my tools, rake, clippers, bulbs and plants etc. I've gotten on the HSN and QVC Only, I watch my local prices, scout the plant catalogs that come out in the spring, access what I'm looking for and find the best bar~goon!!!!
Heck, even our grocery stores and gas stations up here are selling peat moss and soil and cow manure, and compost!! Of course we garden up here alot.. FArm Country you know!!

Even mail order somethings, check out your gardening catalogs and magazines.............
Should be lots..

Sheritoots is from Florida, maybe if she swings by she can give you a name of a local store chain that might have something on the lines you are looking for!!!

gab Weezie gab

#10704 October 27th, 2003 at 06:03 AM
B
OP Offline
B
We have WalMart and Home Depot down here, but the garden section of WalMart is rather pathetic.
I will have to try Home Depot, I haven't yet because they're rather far away.

What plant catalogs to you get and where do I sign up? wink

#10705 October 27th, 2003 at 06:18 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Oh my gosh, how many do you want???
I am the catalog queen!!

And I just read, and read, and read, in the winter. And you can learn alot from those catalogs. And the more you read, different
catalogs, each will give you pretty much the same info, but sometimes, they will each give you one extra special point the other catalog didn't.

In the winter, I have a rocking chair that was my Grannies and I pull it over to the South facing window right by my heater and put my feet up (or I curl up on the couch) and get my favoritest sweats on, and a cup of something hot, cocoa, tea, cinnamin drink, and a blanket and my slippers and read those catalogs and listen to the winters wind whipping around outside.
I do usually end up falling asleep, since having my kids I can't stay awake too long reading, but
I really enjoy looking at the photo's of the flowers, I get a pen and paper and put some of them on wish lists, I really try to remember everything I can and keep my brain active.. That's a whole 'nother story. But I enjoy it much.

Are you looking for Bulbs, perennials, bushes, flowers in general, vegetables, ones with gardening tools and such???

Let me know.

Most of the time, when I sign up for the catalogs, I do it right on line. I don't order
over the internet but I will post my address because anyone can find an address...
but no banking info, they always have 1-800 #'s.
To be honest with you, I'm not a big orderer from the catalogs, I do alot of local shopping and don't always have the extra money for shipping and handling....

Weezie gab
I'll start posting some in a minute.

You can start by clicking the one at the top here that says the "Gardeners Supply" They seem to have quite the amount of items.....

I will say, my very first one to like is a tool book, it's leevalleytools lot's of good stuff there for products.. Reasonable prices!!!

#10706 October 28th, 2003 at 06:49 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Boxmonkey,
How many catalog's do you want??
I will send you the name of as many as you want...

But I don't want to undulate you if you don't want so many!!!

Weezie

And what kinds are you looking for??
Let me know!!

#10707 November 2nd, 2003 at 10:08 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Boxmonkey, wavey
Do you still want some catalogs???
Weezie

#10708 November 3rd, 2003 at 06:49 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Weezie smile Sorry, my life seems to oscillate between nothing at all happening and not having any free time.
I am back for the time being. (and I may soon have some new additions to my collection - passion flower vines!)

I guess just a couple of good catalogues would be a start smile

#10709 November 3rd, 2003 at 07:57 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I know how you feel about being busy and not busy,
Mine is busy and busier!!!!
Never a dull moment around here......

Okay, I have some, can you narrow my list down for me,
what types of catalogs would be for you...??
I sent Loz a bunch and she' going to be reading ALOT this winter, I suggested to her to get as many as possible for reading/remembering purposes.

Now, do you want perennials, container with annuals?/? Bulbs, or a little bit of everything in them.???
I'll dig the list out and send them to you!!
Weezie

#10710 November 4th, 2003 at 05:23 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Boxmonkey,
I sent you an IM...
With a list!!
Weezie

#10711 November 5th, 2003 at 03:12 AM
S
S
Hello, Boxmonkey!
Most of the gardening supplies I get come from Lowe's, a few things from Walmart, and I prefer to buy the majority of my plants at Home Depot. We all know the condition the plants at Walmart tend to be in, although in this area, they seem to be improving a little. Lowe's isn't too much better, but I've always preferred Home Depot. They seem to carry a wider variety of plants and soils, fertilizers, etc. Just my personal preference, though! grinnnn
As far as brands go, I usually try to go with Miracle Gro, Scott's, Schultz, or Peters. Those are the ones that have worked best for me so far.
Happy hunting! wink

Link Copied to Clipboard