This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106892 September 9th, 2004 at 01:18 PM
OP Offline
I was just watching the weather this morning and they said that Ivan is a Cat. 5 Hurricane and that the Hurricane Hunters that fly into the storms recorded sustained winds of 200 mph at 300 ft. above sea level. They also said this is one of the strongest Hurricanes ever recorded, right up there with Gilbert.

The worst of it is that the track as of right now, will take it up the west coast of Florida, and then into Georgia.

I pray it goes out into the Gulf and goes away.

#106893 September 9th, 2004 at 02:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I hope it goes away too. Florida can't take much more right now. I'm afraid if it hits Florida there will be total devastation frown grinnnn

#106894 September 9th, 2004 at 02:17 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I've been watching that one too!!!
They have been conjectoring which way it'll go,
that's got to be torture!!!
Will be praying angell for the best for all!!!

Weezie

#106895 September 9th, 2004 at 05:13 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Awesome photo of IVAN .

#106896 September 9th, 2004 at 05:38 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's an AMAZING pic!

Karen grinnnn

#106897 September 9th, 2004 at 06:06 PM
http://weather.net-waves.com/td09.php

Here is shot of Ivan on infaed radar.the colors are the water temps& is usually stronger where the reds are.I hope it does miss FL >They have had enough.probably don't have the wood or stuff TO prepare for another storm& I wouldn't look behind Ivan just yet.Sept is a busy hurricane month & has been a busy season.I've learned much this year.i didn't hear about 200 mph wind reading,but did hear 179mph,but a gust with 179 could be 200 +.Weather forum busy so not got in yet.I have missed 8 am discussion& hoepe to get the 11 am one.Won't know more for 3 days anyway.
stay safe ya'll.
gardenmom...bet ya rooting alot of stuff huh.
I got a FL question...
so have they opened the gas pipe lines back down there for recieveing gas are or they still shut down.so are delivering gas over the road.I know alot of places still without gas and some limiting a $10 gas purchase(which is wrong in my opinion.is the same as price gougeing to me)and are the shelves stocking up in stores now?

#106898 September 9th, 2004 at 06:27 PM
this is page about camille in aug of 1969 after it hit Miss.is the strongest CAT5 storm to land on GOM with a direct hit to US.you see steps where house slabs are and only a pool tells ya a house was here at one time.they had 22-25 ft storm surge come inland.I hope to NOT see this again.Is recorded as a costliest storm with $$ prices back in 1969,but think Andrew has beaten that now.Hurricane andrew was changed to a CAT 5 due to storm damage that was compared to this storm.
http://www.geocities.com/hurricanene/hurricanecamille.htm

#106899 September 10th, 2004 at 06:14 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've been watching the updates on Ivan and it looks like we're gonna suffer another hit. The projected path(at this time)puts it right over Jacksonville. We are 30 miles inland,at the southwestern edge of duval county. Even though Frances is gone our weather has been crappy. As I look out my window its another grey,wet,yucky day(we've only had a few peeks at a blue sky)

The kids went back to school today(I'm almost bald from pulling my hair out laugh ),but their saying that the schools will be closed Monday if the storm continues on its present track.

It has been 40 years since Florida got a 1,2,3 punch like this.

Thank god I haven't unpacked yet from Frances. I need to restock the canned goods( frown :p frown ) and water. I guess we are about as ready as we can be.

:p Ivan :p

Karen grinnnn

#106900 September 10th, 2004 at 10:10 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Karen.... can I ask you a personal question? Why aren't you leeeeeeaving???? kit

#106901 September 15th, 2004 at 02:05 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We are not in line for this one (thank god)!

I want to send prayers to all of our members in the Florida Panhandle and in Alabama grinnnn

#106902 September 15th, 2004 at 02:19 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I am sending some angell angell to Jiffy and Frustratedattimes....
Seems that's the general *kindasorta* way it's heading.
Keeping my fingers crossed and the hotline to the BIG GUY UPSTAIRS angell OPEN!!!!

Keep us posted!!!

Weezie

#106903 September 15th, 2004 at 02:20 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
At the top on the GOOGLE BAR on this post here, there's some sites that show up to track IVAN
and such..
Some pretty good info and shots!!!

Weezie

#106904 September 15th, 2004 at 02:27 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Gardenmom...
I wish I'd never showed Brennan the last hurricane on the Weather Channel, and told him you were there! Yesterday when I picked him up from school he said "We saw the hurricane that's coming, and it's killed a bunch of people! Is your friend going to get killed?"
I told him no, that it probably wasn't going to hit you.
Then he said "What if it does hit her? Will she get killed?"
So, I told him if it DID hit you, you were going to leave and you'd be in a safe place.
His next question..."Then, will she send us more seeds?"

#106905 September 15th, 2004 at 02:35 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Brennan is sooooooo sweet!!!! You tell him Miss Karen(thats what all the kids call me) is just fine and she's not gonna let anything bad happen to her.

I gotta find something neat,just for him!

Karen grinnnn

#106906 September 15th, 2004 at 07:40 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, ivan is going to miss us. but it is heading toward lots of my family. they are all between pensacola fl and mobile al.

the evacuations of my family are as follows:

1 cousin went to tallahassee

1 cousin is staying with friends just north east of pensacola

brother went to brewton al (he's in the national guard unit there, and they went to the armory. he'll be deployed out of there if he is needed anyway)

gramma evacuated with friends... (no word on where to)

uncle is riding it out in the house that my grandparents and i rode camille out in. he should be fine, but i'm praying anyway!

#106907 September 16th, 2004 at 01:28 AM
Damage will end up being up to 150 miles inland and can go further....Then it will stall out and give TN/GA carolinas some unwantred rain.
I don't hear much talk on how long will stay a CAT -any-number till turns to tropical depression.gotta watch for Jeanie.storm stalls.....jeanie will have plenty of un-needed moisture.

Anyone remember /dan rather tieing self to a tree to cover hurricane? was LA/MISS hit.I just can't find that storm in my brain.Was possible carla.he did final coverage with a ham radio or some type radio.
ya'll hurricane folks stay safe& watch the surge.not good to land in high tide.

#106908 September 16th, 2004 at 02:05 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Man, I am watching the Weather Channel, and they are showing waves 40' to 50' high! UNREAL!!!

I pray everyone stays safe.
This looks like a BAD hurricane!
angell angell angell

I'm scared and I am in Kentucky!
Cindy

#106909 September 16th, 2004 at 02:19 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Prayers to all [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Karen grinnnn

#106910 September 17th, 2004 at 05:59 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
www.pensacolanewsjournal.com has photo galleries if you want to see. and some good stories.

my family made it though ok, glad i'm not there, but wishing i could do something in addition to praying...

#106911 September 17th, 2004 at 04:57 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Wow! I just looked at that link, and all the devastation.
And, I thought I had it bad today!

It's made it's way up to Kentucky now, and we are getting major flooded here. I have about ten inches of water covering a large portion of my yard! The wind is at 30 mph right now, and I can hear the shingles tearing off the roof! frown They are all over the yard! All my plants are laying down flat on the ground ters , even my big beautiful butterfly bushes!
And the wind has blown the cover off the chimney, and rain and wind are coming down it into the living room! I have a big bucket sitting under the hole in the ceiling that you hook the stove pipe into. (We don't have the woodburner there anymore.)

KY radar photo

Soooo.....I guess I'll break down and go to Wal-Mart later and buy an UMBRELLA!

Cindy sca

#106912 September 17th, 2004 at 04:57 PM
J
J
Cindy, hope you and your family are safe. lt must be a real trauma for you, don't worry about your plant's they will survive, just as long as you are ok kissies
Human life is more precious than plant life. plant's alway's rise again.
will say a prayer for you angell angell angell

Doreenxxx

#106913 September 24th, 2004 at 08:51 PM
Ivan is dead finally.
May he NOT rest in peace.

#106914 September 24th, 2004 at 09:57 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You know, I was beginning to wonder if Ivan had something to do with that old saying "What goes around, comes around"!
(...and around, and around, and around.....!)

#106915 September 25th, 2004 at 01:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Ivan might be dead...but Jeanne is alive and kicking. There's no question we're being directly hit with this one. It will drop from a cat. 3 to a cat. 1 before it reaches us but a cat. 1 is still 75-100mph winds. They have already closed the schools for the beginning of next week and the shelters will be open on Sunday. They're already asking mobile home residents to evacuate. Haven't decided if we'll stay here or go to his sisters house(she's in line for it too...but is in a house). I never unpacked the essentials from frances(what was left)so we are pretty much prepared(did go buy some more canned food :p ).

I've still got your number Cindy...I know we'll lose power again(last time was for 4 days!). I'll contact you after the storm.

Karen grinnnn

#106916 September 25th, 2004 at 02:58 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
You'd better!
'Cause you know how I got last time! sca

Cindy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard