This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#106798 November 6th, 2004 at 06:48 AM
Cindy's Cuz
OP Offline
Cindy's Cuz
Hello all,

I am new here and this is my first post. I am also new at this forum-type posting, so I may need some help from time to time.

I'm not much of an outside gardener, but am really in to houseplants. My favs are shamrocks (obvious?).

I have heard so much about this forum, for months now, from my cousin -- afgreyparrot. I'm sure the regulars here know her. She invited me here.

I'm really not sure what to say at the moment but hope that I can fit in and maybe get and give some gardening advice in the future.

Les flw

#106799 November 6th, 2004 at 03:51 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
LES!!! wavey You made it! thumbup
Nice to see you!

O.K. First rule of the forum is kinda like...you remember the Vegas trip in '93? shk nutz lala Well, same rule applies here.

What happens on the forum STAYS on the forum!
laugh laugh laugh

Thank you for joining!

Cindy

#106800 November 6th, 2004 at 04:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Shamrock [Linked Image] I'm really glad Cindy invited you to join kissies

G-Mom grinnnn

#106801 November 6th, 2004 at 04:08 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
And you ADMIT TO THAT
HEY! I resemble that remark! laugh

#106802 November 6th, 2004 at 05:02 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
my cousin -- afgreyparrot.
I PROMISE...we won't hold that against you!

laugh

G-Mom grinnnn

#106803 November 6th, 2004 at 05:38 PM
Cindy's Cuz
OP Offline
Cindy's Cuz
Hi Gardenmom!!!

Glad to finally meet you. I've heard a lot about you.

Thanks for the wonderful welcome, and please DON'T hold it against me that afgrey's my cuz. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh She is a great cousin, actually. I'm glad she can remember what happened in Vegas in 93. eek

I have really enjoyed the time I've been on here so far, and it was only one night. AND I have learned a whole lot. I am just an amateur so I need all the help I can get!

Oh, I'm glad you made it through all the hurricanes okay.

Les

#106804 November 6th, 2004 at 05:56 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'm glad she can remember what happened in Vegas in 93.
laugh laugh laugh
You SHOULDN'T be glad! thumbup

cin

#106805 November 6th, 2004 at 06:52 PM
Hi Shamrock~ wavey

Welcome, Welcome! muggs

Merme

#106806 November 7th, 2004 at 01:54 AM
Hey Sham! Welcome to our great forum! wavey

You'll learn a lot here and have fun doing it !

Lesson # 1:The toilet paper goes under!

Oh, I'm glad you made it through all the hurricanes okay
I'm glad you remembered that.

#106807 November 7th, 2004 at 02:01 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Lesson # 1:The toilet paper goes under!
LESSON #2 - We can politely DISAGREE here!
The toilet paper goes OVER! ! !
:p

Cindy laugh

#106808 November 7th, 2004 at 02:09 AM
Ahhm, No, I Said it goes .....................

:p

..UNDER

mad mad mad

#106809 November 7th, 2004 at 02:14 AM
Now, let's not start this again , Cindy. mad You're embarrasing yourself in front of your cousin ( yeah, like that's never happened)

Rule #3: Be nice to other forum members! kissies angell

#106810 November 7th, 2004 at 02:25 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
mad O V E R ! ! ! mad

#106811 November 7th, 2004 at 02:29 AM
UNDER mad mad

#106812 November 7th, 2004 at 02:35 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
mad mad O V E R ! ! ! ! ! mad mad

(If you don't stop this I'm gonna tell on you!)

#106813 November 7th, 2004 at 02:50 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
frown If you don't stop, you'll both be using maple leaves! crit

#106814 November 7th, 2004 at 02:55 AM
shk

#106815 November 7th, 2004 at 03:10 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Oh.....Hi, Bill! wavey

Uhhh...melcon was trying to start a fight with me.

(I didn't think you read these posts!)

[Linked Image]

Your humble servant,
Cindy

#106816 November 7th, 2004 at 03:18 AM
:p Nah ah, She started it! mad lala

#106817 November 7th, 2004 at 03:21 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
melcon-----> [Linked Image]<-----afgrey!

#106818 November 7th, 2004 at 03:38 AM
Uh, ACTUALLY ladies, the proper way is OVER BECAUSE.....

You are supposed to take the flat edge and make it into a handsome point by tucking the two sides under. This also puts the design on top AND makes it easy for the person to grab the end. thumbup

So says the woman who doesn't even put it on the wall mount because the mount isn't accessible any more, so mine just stands up sideways on the sink counter. Which Maxi occasionally knocks over into the sink to get all wet.... laugh laugh

Ah, to have a genteel home again someday!
Merme

#106819 November 7th, 2004 at 04:00 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
thumbup

When Martha Stewart gets out of prison I'll invite her to join the forum, and she can set melcon straight!

Cindy

#106820 November 7th, 2004 at 05:29 AM
When Martha Stewart gets out of prison I'll invite her to join the forum, and she can set melcon straight!
Sorry, nobody can set me straight, I'm as warped as they come! laugh laugh nutz

#106821 November 7th, 2004 at 05:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Here is the "Official" word on T.P. Straight from Gertie laugh

Gertie Delves into the Great Toilet Paper Debate
Gertrude Butterbean [©Angela Gillaspie 2004]

Being the self-appointed southern sovereign for the code of behavior in the bathroom, many of y'all have sent me heartfelt requests for help. The issue I'm touching on today has been known to wreck marriages, blow up family reunions, and make Uncle Chester abandon his crapper and head for the outhouse.

My email box has been filled to the brim to resolve this horrible dilemma: What is the right way to hang toilet paper?

As far as myself goes, the placement of toilet paper is a non-issue since I just set the roll on the back of my toilet on top of my Popular Mechanic magazines. If I'm going to have guests that I want to impress (the preacher or my nickel poker buddies), I might slide the roll down on the plunger next to the toilet to give my bathroom that rustic look.

Anyway, back to the question - what's the "right" way to hang the toilet paper? After polling folks on the Internet, up there at Winn Dixie, over at Wal-Mart, and down yunder at the post office, I found out:

51% of folks hang it with the paper dangling over the top.
24% hang it with the paper dangling at the back.
14% of folks say that they hang it whichever way they can get it on the roll the fastest.
11% ain't got no toilet paper holder.
1% said, "Daggum, I'm a guy! I don't know how to change that toilet paper thang!"
Less than 1% (actually 0.03%) didn't know what toilet paper was.
Of course this only answers the question about how most folks hang their toilet paper, it doesn't address the question of what the "right" way is to hang it.

Before I answer that question, I'd like to take a minute and look at all the different types of toilet paper holders there are. First off, here in my neck of the woods most folks (unless they live down there in the city) don't have toilet paper holders. It don't bother us none - we just set the roll on top of the tank, on the edge of the garbage can or edge of the sink.

In government buildings, gas stations, and fast food joints they have those institutional holders where the roll slides on sideways. These vertical holders allow for the owners to put them big four-foot spools of sandpaper-type toilet paper on them. When I was pregnant, my husband (God Bless him) offered to get me one of those so I'd only have to change the roll three times a week instead of three times a day. What a man!

Hey, I wonder if them government boys are upset about whether those rolls are hung right or left?

Everybody's got an opinion on the pros and cons of hanging the roll "over" versus "under", and here's what I found out:

As far as being fashionable, the "over" position wins. I visited those nicer hotels (the ones that charge at least $24.95 overnight) and saw that they hung their roll with the paper dangling over the top and then they took the end sheet and folded it into this little fancy triangle. I don't rightly know what that triangle-sheet is for - seems like a waste to me, well, unless you tear off that end sheet and use it to clean out from under your fingernails while you finish your bidness or sumthin'.
If you have toddlers or cats, you should hang it in the "under" position - it doesn't unroll as easily.
If you have boys, by putting the roll in the "over" position, the paper is just begging to be used. This way, the boys will want to use it and you won't have to soak their drawers as long to get out their skid marks.
If you choose a print, you must hang it in the "over" position or the print on the paper will be upside down.
It is easier to grasp if the paper is in the "over" position, of course on the flip side, reaching to the back is just as easy - unless static cling makes the paper stick to the wall.
Standing men prefer the roll over-the-top. I didn't ask why. They scared me.
A physics professor in the "under" camp offered this analysis: To get the paper to turn requires a certain torque, which comes from the tension in the paper being withdrawn. The greater the distance between the plane of the paper being pulled and the axle support line, the less force is required and the less chance of tearing the paper before you have enough. Uh, yeah.

So the "right" way to hang toilet paper? It depends on what person or critter will be using your toilet and what kind of holder (if any) you got. But, if I just have to choose, then I'll vote for the "over" position.

All this toilet tissue talk has got me to thinking about what I want to get Momma for Christmas this year. She ain't got no toilet paper holder, so I'm gonna install her a nice one. Maybe one of those that have a radio in it so that she can listen to Conway Twitty as she reflects on life's deep meaning. Hey and maybe a cup holder so that she can sip her sassafras tea and meditate on the throne ... ooh, and a telephone jack just in case she is going to be there a while and might want to check her email. I definitely will get her a matching magazine holder for all those Guideposts and Enquirer magazines she dearly loves.

Which way would she hang her roll? Why in the "over" position, of course!

G-Mom laugh

#106822 November 7th, 2004 at 05:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I win!

I WIN! ! !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard