This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106421 August 3rd, 2004 at 01:18 AM
O
OP Offline
O
Hi all, I'm probably the newest memeber of this forum, and I'd just like to extend my greetings to everyone here!

However, on an interesting note, I'm probably the only (or one of very few) here who are around my age or share similar interests.

A little bit about myself:
My name is Wilson, I'm 15 years old and I live in SoCal. I probably don't fit the gardening type, being techno-savy (I build computers, modify, and program), an extremely busy student (All AP classes, summer school, SAT prep, band, boy scouts....etc.), and a certified car nut smile

Why, you may ask, then, would I ever join a gardening forum?

The answer may lie in the genes :p

My grandma (who came from China) always liked to garden and such. I spent (and still do) alot of time with my her, so that ever since I was a toddler, I had always been helping out in the backyard, planting things, watching them grow.

After a long and stressful day of school, I often find that the most relaxing thing to do is to go out in the backyard and tend to my plants, or wath my tomatoes ripen smile Nothing beats picking a tomato off the vine, brushing off the dirt and eating it fresh. But, anyway, no matter how busy i get these days, I still find some time to go out and garden.

As of late, I have taken up a special interest in my gardening, and sometimes I find that suddenly, while sitting in class, the onl thing I can think of is tomatoes shocked So I embarked on an adventure to become the most sucessfull tomato grower in my neighborhood. In my mad rush to research as much information as possible about growing tomatoes, I stumbled upon this forum, which has been able to provide me with invaluable information, and the memebers seem exceedingly knowledgeable (more so than other forums) so, I decided that, rather than simply read the posts on this forum, why don't I just take the plunge and join! So I did, and I don't think I'll ever regret it.

Again, I'd like to say hi to all the memebers of this forum, and if there really is anyone here around my age, let me know!

#106422 August 3rd, 2004 at 01:30 AM
P
P
Greetings Young Man from an Oldman!! Age is not a factor. I'm more than likely the oldest online gamer you will ever meet. I game first person shooters. Current staring Ghost Recon. I run almost a 24/7 gaming voice server. I host GhostRecon every Tuesday night from 8pm EST/ Zula time Wednesday 1am. I'm 54 years of age. So you see as I said age is not a factor~~! BTW I'm known as DoW-Oldman in the gaming world. (Dogs of War.)

Again, a big hello and welcome to this place! Oh I think I can say we are all glad you stopped Ghosting and joined us. We will be looking forward to your postings with much interest.

I stumbled upon this forum, which has been able to provide me with invaluable information, and the memebers seem exceedingly knowledgeable (more so than other forums)

Ok Bill just how much did you pay this young man to say this~~~!

#106423 August 3rd, 2004 at 02:36 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hi Wilson wavey I'm glad you decided to join! It's great that you're starting the gardening "Bug" young. I wish more people your age would get interested.
Sounds like you keep really busy. And I think it's wonderful that you spend so much time with your grandmother. We think grandmas are pretty special too!

Hope you drop in often,see you around grinnnn

#106424 August 3rd, 2004 at 03:50 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
[Linked Image]
Wilson...Glad You Joined...15 , Hmmm, Wish I were 15 again and know what I know now...Or Do I... grinnnn Ph iL

#106425 August 3rd, 2004 at 07:31 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi there! wavey hmmmmmmmm, you're a lil too young for me wink *I'm 19*

I used to be the youngest person on the forum! I'm still the shortest though! *4'11"*

From your story, it looks like you had quite a few gardening adventures. I hope to read about them as you post here! If you ever have any questions on succulents, or carnivorous plants, I'm the person to ask smile

So ya! Welcome to the forum! Hope to see ya around thumbup

~Phoebe

#106426 August 3rd, 2004 at 08:17 AM
Hi Wilson wavey ,
I'm in Northern CA, and I'm growing tomatoes too. I was thinking today that I wish someone had introduced me to gardening with I was younger(I'm 29 now). This is my first year gardening. Like you, I do a lot of research online. I'm trying to make up for lost time!!!

You should see the variety of experiments I have going on my balcony right now... herbs, germinating avocado and mango seeds, tomato plants, carrots...

Glad you joined us. I look forward to reading more of your posts. grinnnn

#106427 August 3rd, 2004 at 12:49 PM
J
J
Welcome from NC...........glad you found this site and joined! YOu will definitely learn alot from everyone here and maybe expand your plant interest to other sorts of plants. These folks sure do know their stuff! Have fun! wink

#106428 August 3rd, 2004 at 08:12 PM
O
OP Offline
O
Wow!, the response and hospitality here is simply amazing! grinnnn

Special thanks to Pineapple Raye for his input on my quest for tomato knowledge.

To Phoebe: Yeah, you definitely got me on the short thing... I'm 6'0"

By the sound of it, I seem pretty lucky to be starting gardening so early grinnnn Hopefully I can get even more of a head start by pooling on all of your experience and knowledge.

Again, I really appreciate the hospitality here!

~Wilson

#106429 August 4th, 2004 at 02:27 AM
Welcome to the site, Wilson! I'm a newbie to gardening but my son (14) & my daughter (2) are learning with me. I'm hoping to be raising some gardeners! Great that you joined us! Lots of info & wonderful people here!

#106430 August 4th, 2004 at 04:00 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Hi! wavey
So VERY glad you joined us!

Cindy

#106431 August 6th, 2004 at 05:42 AM
thumbup 15 huh? That's great. Nice to see the younger people taking an interest in gardening. You'll really enjoy it here. Welcome!

Link Copied to Clipboard