This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106259 June 13th, 2004 at 08:59 AM
Tempest Offline OP
OP Offline
I just wanted to share with all the contents of my wonderful garden. (yeah, I know... I'm grinnnn I would have had catnip too, but the neighborhood cats already spend enough time in my backyard as it is...lol, don't need any fights over whos plants they are. Any one else care to share the contents of their gardens? muggs
tempest~

#106260 June 13th, 2004 at 01:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,your garden sounds wonderful. Such a nice variety of plants. At the present time I have 13 rose bushes,bearded iris,african iris(2colors),bat-face plants,wildflowers,amaryllis,10 lillies(pink & white flowers and wine flowers),4 o'clocks(pink and yellow),aloe veras,sansevera,yucca,agave,rain lillies,balloon flowers,coleus,impatiens,sunflowers,canna lillies,mexican petunias,petunias,2 thundercloud plum trees,1 red tartarian honeysuckle tree,lantanas(purple ones & yellow ones & multicolored ones),gladiolas,1 banana tree,beautyberry bushes,daturas(double lavenders & white),tomatos,all colors bells,green beans,cucumbers,carrots and strawberries. Whew,that wore me out! Believe it or not I've probably forgot a few!
I'm always adding stuff,cause I pick up alot of free plants(thru my job and friends). Oh yea,I have a pond with goldfish & water lillies too. Sorry about rambling on( bad habit I admit but come on,its my garden laugh )

If it grows,I gotta have it!

Karen grinnnn

#106261 June 13th, 2004 at 01:54 PM
A
A
My husband and I have recently gotten into gardening together. It started out a few years ago when I sent in $10 for a membership with the National Arbor Day Foundation. They sent me 10 trees and a French lilac! LOL We had never planted trees OR flowers of any kind before that, so everything was trial and error. We wound up with 2 Hawthorns, 2 Flowering Crab Apples, 2 Bradford Pears, 2 Red Buds, and 2 Dogwoods. All came as bare root plants. We managed to get them all in the ground, and fell in love with the Bradfords (even though we had a LOT of disease problems at first...lot of time clipping bad leaves off with shears dipped in bleach after each cut!), and the Red Buds. We moved last summer to a place that had no landscapping at all, and decided that we were going to try to add as much color as possible! So as soon as the weather warmed up this year we went to work! I now have 2 Red buds, about 20 azaleas (Tabers, Amys, and Joannas), 4 blueberry bushes, a magnolia, and some clamatis (which doesn't seem to be growing as fast as I was led to believe it would). We also have a blue hydrangea and a gardenia that were here when we moved in. Of course, living in Georgia, we have to amend the soil to plant ANYTHING, because of all the red clay. But it's been worth it. I also tried my hand at some lilies and irises. Everything came up, but there is no sign of flowers from the irises, and the lilies don't look as pretty as I thought they would. They are Oriental Hybrids, and I think they may be just a bit too fussy for my area. So next year I'm going to go with just ordinary day lilies in different colors. We have a lot of diseased trees that still need to be taken down. And I can't wait to get those areas cleared enough to start planting some more. But I think that for this year anyway, we are done putting new plants out. Now I'm just concentrating on keeping what I have alive and weeded so that they can grow. It helps now that our watering ban has lifted. I was worried that we would lose all the work we had done because of it, so I collected a bunch of milk jugs, punched small holes in the bottom of each, filled with bathwater, and set them at the base of each plant that needed it. When I heard that azaleas like acidic soil, and that you could put used coffee grounds around the base of them to help them along, I added a scoop of coffee to each jug that sat at their bases. BOY! Did they ever take off! LOL Anyway, I've rambled enough for now. I'm so glad that I found this site! It's wonderful!

#106262 June 15th, 2004 at 10:46 PM
Meg Offline
Wow Annette, you are full of helpful info! I potted my trees from ADF, as you gave me the idea. Hopefully, the ones that I potted survive, because I'm not so sure how the ones I planted already are gonna do. :rolleyes:

Meg

#106263 June 16th, 2004 at 09:18 AM
S
S
Karen. did you ever get your climbing josephs coat? i didnt get my blue girl tea rose,[ they were out! eek ]but im not giving up! i WILL have one someday thumbup

#106264 June 16th, 2004 at 05:49 PM
I've been slowly learning a little over the last few years & trying to decide exactly what to do with my yard.

We have virtually no trees in our yard so, we planted a Bradford Pear & a Silver Leaf Maple a few years ago. I had a couple other trees that didn't make it but these have grown beautifully. I have lots of "elephant ears" that I plan on using to border the inside of my yard on both sides with Canna Lilies lining the front of my yard. On my deck, in pots, I have 2 "mother of thousands" with lots of babies, several zinnias that I have seperated & repotted, several "mother-in-laws tongues", 4 Amaryllis, some sort of cactus & one very small aloe vera that has survived me thumbup

I have a few pine trees on the edge of my land that needs to be cut down, along with many different types of vines, poison ivy, various bushes, etc.

I, also, have a pond kit that I would like to install & add lots of plants around it, line my driveway with ribbon grass & have at least one Weeping willow. Who knows what else I'll do, if I ever get the time. cool

#106265 June 17th, 2004 at 07:58 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Wow,Sybil,sounds like you've got a fabulous yard! grinnnn

#106266 June 29th, 2004 at 12:57 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
thumbup what a great topic! I love reading about everyone's gardens, gives me idea idea

i have a hodgepodge of things bought and things shared and a couple of things aquired...

will post more when i go take inventory... but today bought a mandevilla and a confederate jassmine. both are in bloom and just beautiful, not to mention, smelling wonderful!

Link Copied to Clipboard