This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#106054 June 29th, 2004 at 10:28 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi!
Back when i was in elementary school, i used to play violin for school band. I watched a few home movies of me playing back then, and i'm sitting there going "Wow, i was really good!" All self taught, learned how to read on my own, figured out the fretboard made a bow out of rock maple, acrylic, and horse tail smile

So ya, i got a lil envious of myself, and decided "Hey, i'm gonna start playing again!" I think i wana be taught professionally this time though. Does anyone here play? I've been reading about different teaching styles, but can't find anything about the styles. What do they do? What's the difference between them?

I still got the feel for it ^.^ But i had to get a bigger one. The one i have is a 1/4 size, and i just bought a used 4/4. My bow is still usable though ^.^

So any suggestions on getting started again? I haven't played for *counts* holy crap o.O 9 years.

#106055 June 29th, 2004 at 10:47 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
[Linked Image]

#106056 June 30th, 2004 at 03:49 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
hehe, cute ms. cindy :rolleyes:

#106057 June 30th, 2004 at 04:20 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I've ALMOST bought a violin several times in the last 10 years. (Except here, we don't call them "violins"...we call them FIDDLES!) I would play it in the "Devil Went Down To Georgia" style! shk

#106058 July 1st, 2004 at 09:17 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Ever heard "Devil Went Back To Georgia"? Its just like the first one, only 10 years after the whole thing happened, and more complex fiddle playing smile

Violin and Fiddle are the same instrument, but i guess it just has to do with the position that you play it in. I play typical violin, between the shoulder and chin, pinky on the screw, neck on the thumb, other thumb on the grip, etc. lol. pretty much any modification to that style is considered Fiddle i guess Duh Fiddle is easier to play for me, but i prefer to look more professional while i play ^.^

But ya, i can play the begining of the "Johnny are you practicing, or will your hands go cold" part of "Devil Went Back to Georgia." If you have AIM or anything, i can send it to ya! Its done on Electric Violin smile I want one so bad!

#106059 July 3rd, 2004 at 05:08 AM
R
R
Oh, I hope my son goes back to it someday. He was really good.

I'm a flute player. Played in school then stopped for many years, picked it up again until lately I've been too busy!!

#106060 July 7th, 2004 at 06:56 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
omg that's so cool ^.^ I loved playing flute! i loved playing Thick As a Brick laugh Unfortunately, holding the instrument was giving me back problems, so i can't really play it too well anymore >.< every time i hold it up, i feel like my ribs on my right side are being crunched or something.

I'm happy though ^.^ My boyfriend decided to learn with me. We both just learned the C scale smile

#106061 July 7th, 2004 at 08:49 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
[Linked Image]
How ya like that greamlin, Phoebe? laugh
Thought you'd get a kick out of it! (If you don't already have it, TAKE IT!)

Guess I'll stick mainly with the piano ( a big, beautiful polished mahogany baby grand! Sold 5 acres off my farm to pay for it! eek ). I play the flute sometimes for Lola, but she LOVES the piano. (She HATES the mandolin and the guitar! She acts like I'm going to hit her with them, or something!)
Cindy

#106062 July 9th, 2004 at 12:32 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
LMAO ms. cindy!!

Ya that's what i feel like when i'm just kinda fiddling around, and someone else is in the house lol. Even if its my boyfriend, or dad, or friends or something ^.^ I suck so much right now that even i wana leave the room sometimes laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard