This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#104885 May 12th, 2004 at 04:07 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
So yesterday I was taking Stephen's suit to the dry cleaner's and got this awesome idea for a quilt. I want to use old ties!! I don't mean old as in stale and falling apart....just as in ones that people just don't use anymore. I can remember my dad throwing out trashbag fulls of them when I was younger, so I have an idea that other people have a whole bunch of them also??? So what do you say? Would anyone be willing to send me ties that they or they're husbands don't need anymore??? If you do, I'll give you credit on the quilt label and take pictures of the quilt when its all done.

#104886 May 12th, 2004 at 04:50 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I saw "Calling All Crazy People" on the header of the post, and man, I was HERE!!!
laugh

But, Andy doesn't have any ties, new or old!
I bet my dad has enough for 50 quilts, though. I'll make sure to find out!

#104887 May 12th, 2004 at 05:15 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cindy, that title also attacted me here too.....I'm a little crazy....lol Aren't we all? laugh

Jennifer, that would be a good idea I think.....my hubby owns one tie, and it's a clip on.....lol My dad has tons of them though, I'll see what I can do. thumbup

#104888 May 12th, 2004 at 06:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Crazy people,yep that describes me :rolleyes: I have seen a quilt made with old ties and it was gorgeous!!! thumbup I know my husband has some ties hidden somewhere(he would rather die than wear one), I'll look and see if I can find them.

Karen grinnnn

#104889 May 12th, 2004 at 06:28 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
laugh I thought the word "crazy" would get some attention! nutz I was sure the idea of a quilt made of ties had been used, but I wasn't sure. It was more an idea out of necessity than anything. I have a quilt that I want to make, but it will be made out of fabric called Batiks and it costs $9-$10/yd. So until Stephen will let me spend the $$, I needed to find something else to make a quilt out of. I don't know if I'll just do stripes or if I'll come up with a different design. So, if anyone finds ties that they would like to send, PM me and I'll give you my address. smile nutz nutz

#104890 May 12th, 2004 at 06:37 PM
B
B
heard you were callin' me, Jenn!

Ties....great idea! I will ask around and I am sure I will be able to send you some.

Barb

#104891 May 12th, 2004 at 06:59 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
WHO'S CALLIN FER ME??? laugh laugh laugh
Ties, yeah seen that Idea and back in the GOOD OL DAY'S A couple pretty lil Hippie chicks had dresses made from em, Sorry, never Had a Tie, Never Wore a tie, and PROBABLY...Never will! grinnnn

#104892 May 12th, 2004 at 11:44 PM
I'll check my hubby's tie collection. He used to have to wear them an eon ago. My uncle and dad did too so I'll check with them as well.

You might want to check in on church rummage sales and garage sales, I bet you could get a bunch pretty cheap. That is if we don't all inundate you with 'em. grinnnn

#104893 May 13th, 2004 at 03:07 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
You know I just checked this post,
just to see who answered it!!! laugh laugh laugh wink wavey

Weezie muggs

#104894 May 13th, 2004 at 04:39 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
You know I just checked this post,
just to see who answered it
Sure Weezie, Likely story!! laugh laugh Drawn to it Like a moth to a flame grinnnn nutz

#104895 May 13th, 2004 at 06:30 AM
S
S
gardengal has a great idea! love the church, yard,garage sales, flea markets, your loco hand me down stores! had a couple of ties for my hubby & son but they keep disapearing, idea

#104896 May 13th, 2004 at 06:50 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
I was planning on going to Goodwill to look for some also. I can't wait to see all the different designs and stuff. I hope I can find some really crazy ones also!! laugh laugh Who likes a totally serious quilt, anyways? The one that I'd like to make from Batiks has all these awesome swirlies that you applique' onto the background (which is 9 different shades of a color!!!) I'm going to use pinks for the background and then blues, lime greens, purples, and yellows for the swirls. But like I said, I need to find the $$ for that one first. Duh :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#104897 May 13th, 2004 at 11:44 PM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
lol the crazy people thing got me grinnnn My friends have ties, but they use them all i guess *shrugs*

I also have a bow tie, but i really don't wana give that up lol. Mum gave it to me as a present ^.^

But i wish you all the luck in your quilt!

~Phoebe

#104898 May 14th, 2004 at 02:20 PM
B
B
YOOHOO, Jen.....

I looked through my husband's tie collection...boy does he have some ugly ones!! laugh

I'll ask him to go through them this weekend and hopefully get rid of a couple!

#104899 May 15th, 2004 at 02:26 AM
What hippie chicks?!! I have very fond memories of a skirt I made with ties. The only dies that my husband has/had are plain black Navy issue ties. I'll look around here and see if there are any. You can make some really cool vests and yes skirts with them. A quilt would be oh so very cool. laugh wavey laugh

#104900 May 15th, 2004 at 06:29 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Well then maybe YOU were one of the "chicks" I seen! wink wink wink

#104901 May 22nd, 2004 at 12:09 AM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Sure Weezie, Likely story!! Drawn to it Like a moth to a flame
laugh laugh Phil...you are a character.

The title got me here as well laugh ....but the part that got my imagination going was when you said:
I was taking Stephen's suit to the dry cleaner's and got this awesome idea for a quilt
.... my mind wandered and thought for sure you didn't like the suit so you cut it up for a quilt. laugh kit Catlover

#104902 May 22nd, 2004 at 01:08 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Man, when I saw "Calling All Crazy People" it WAS like a moth to a flame for me!!!
Guess that pretty well sums my bio up, huh?

And if you have any ties left over, send them to me so I can make a dress like I had WAY back when!

#104903 July 21st, 2004 at 08:52 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
hisgal2....can't help you out with the ties.... but was just curious if you had received any ties and if any progress has been made on the quilt! wavey

#104904 July 22nd, 2004 at 07:39 AM
This is a great idea! (Must confess, I too thought you were going to make the suit into a quilt shocked )

My husband had ties he doen't like/use. But he's funny about getting rid of clothes, for some reason. He even hates to pack away his off-season clothes. I think he thinks the clothes will disappear, or maybe he's just a packrat (Sorry, getting off topic here - it's that stream-of-concious writing Phoebe mentioned an another thread) Anyway, I'll still ask him about the ties. Should be able to get at least a few. Then I'm PM you for your address. grinnnn

#104905 November 16th, 2004 at 09:52 AM
Hi "Crazies"

It's amazing how many people have responded to this subject! The idea of a tie quilt is great, but if that doesn't work out, make it a real, ole-timey CRAZY quilt. The material is rich like the Victorians may have used and you could do all sorts of embroidery stitches on it.

Of course, all that embroidery would probably keep me going on it for 30 years or so. I've got some embroidery now that I started 20 years ago and it's not close to being finished!

Ann1

#104906 November 17th, 2004 at 03:53 AM
I went to a thrift store and bought several ties in different designs but matching color tones so I can make Maxi a suit vest out of them. They were only pennies each and in very good condition.

And you know, you can make your own Batik fabric? Just put your piece of background fabric into a large embroidery hoop, paint your design with wax, then dye....A quilt made of handmade Batik would be lovely.

Merme

#104907 November 20th, 2004 at 08:59 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I am just SO tickled that there were so many responses before ME!!! (re: alling all crazies)

I am gathering a bunch of oldies but goodies for you....my father ~in~law has been a Pastor for 48 years....trust me...he has ties!!!!! And NEEDS to get rid of most of them!
Unfortunately I just got rid of about 3 boxes of ties that were my dad's........didn't realize they could have kept us toasty warm! Duh

#104908 December 13th, 2004 at 07:03 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
but was just curious if you had received any ties and if any progress has been made on the quilt!
I was given a paper shopping bag full of mostly silk ties that someone didn't want anymore. They are pretty nice. The man is a wealthy person who didn't wear them too often. He even had the dry cleaned before I got them!!! nutz laugh

I just started trying to piece them together the other day, but it is not my main prject right now. Remember that batiks quilt that I said I wanted to make?? Well, I started it a few months back and the top is almost complete. The swirls have been fused to the main top and now I am stitching around them with a blanket stitch. Each swirl is going to have glass bead work on it. The first one I did took me 5 1/2 hours to complete the bead work. For every blanket stitch I did, I put a bead on it. All of the swirls will be different. Here is a couple of pictures of the quilt top. More pictures can be seen in my webshots under "Noel's Quilt".

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

#104909 December 13th, 2004 at 08:47 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
That's a really really nice lookin' quilt!!!
I love cool the colors and the swirls,
that must have been tricky doing' that!!!!

The beads look neat, but that looks like alooooot of work....I'd be cross eyed by the time I got done with that!!!

But very nice indeed!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup

Thanks for sharing that!!!!

Weezie

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard