This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10480 March 16th, 2003 at 01:17 AM
J
joy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I wonder if anyone out there can help me. My garden had grape hyacinths in when we moved here. I have tried for four years to get all the bulbs out, but it is tricky. This year I seem to have even more! Is there a plant that I could put in to maybe hinder them growing, or any suggestions at all really. Greatful for any help, Joy.

[ March 17, 2003: Message edited by: joy ]

Send them to me!

Gee, all I can think of is perhaps something invasive that makes I heavy mat which they may not be able to get through, eventually. Of course, then you'll be stuck with that plant. So make it pretty! How do you feel about Iris or Hemerocallis? Or both?

C
C
Don't really know why they are such a bother to you?! They bloom early and then die back to practically nothing. Just plant around them. Heck they only get to be approx 6" tall. plant right over them. The worst thing that they might do is send up greenery only later in the season (no flower). This period of time is one way to locate where the remaining ones are...if you still feel offended by thier presense. Ask around...I AM SURE ANYONE WILL TAKE THEM OFF YOUR HANDS!!! HINT: YOU ARE ONE OF THE FEW THAT ARE TRYING TO GET RID OF THEM.
If it is in an area where you ARE going to put a ground cover, then you can just put in the ground cover with no regard for the grape hyac...all you will ever see is their flower heads appear and disappear.

J
joy Offline OP
OP Offline
J
thanks for your advice all,so I probably will keep them then. I suppose they are quite pretty when they all bloom. Just a bit frighened of my cats eating the leaves as I thought they were poisonous. (my cats are fond of eating grass).

J
J
Hmmm -I have not heard that Grape hyacinths ( aka muscari) are poisonous...I suppose that as long as the cats have grass available, they will probably not explore the muscari delicacy...and if it is poisonous to them, chances are that they would throw up and then avoid them in the future...
of course, you never know with cats, eh?

enjoy the muscari, they are delightful and make a nice cut flower - I mix in some candy tuft and forgetme nots adn voila! a delightful little bouquet of cheer.

jinda

jinda

:p

Link Copied to Clipboard