This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#104639 December 4th, 2004 at 03:17 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
I remember when I first joined the forum in Bill's attempt to keep this site "clean" we couldn't even write about our lawns without it looking like this "gr***" laugh laugh

#104640 December 4th, 2004 at 03:21 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
does it get bleeped if i swear? I donno, cuz i've never seen anyone swear, or attempt to. >.< i'm too afraid to test it, cuz i don't want the F word or anything like that to show up on the site, cuz then i'll be the only person here to have used it, and kids will read it, and parents will hate me, and *exploads*

~Phoebe

#104641 December 4th, 2004 at 03:28 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
does it get bleeped if i swear? I donno, cuz i've never seen anyone swear, or attempt to
Oh, yeah, Nako, you'll get bleeped right the
@#$#@!#$%*@* outta here if you start swearing. Cindy and I were talking about a special place just for swearing where you'd need a password to get into but I'm afraid to ask for it! eek

laugh laugh lala

#104642 December 4th, 2004 at 03:30 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
soooooooooooo is it okay to try it?

#104643 December 4th, 2004 at 03:34 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
NO, DON'T DO IT!!

laugh laugh

#104644 December 4th, 2004 at 04:28 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
k ^.^

#104645 December 4th, 2004 at 04:32 AM
I've posted "dam# and a#s", and I've seen others post "h*%l". (The actual words, without the symbols.) Those are the worst I've seen. I was worried about those, but nobody reprimanded me or deleted the posts, so I figured those were okay.

#104646 December 4th, 2004 at 04:47 AM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
I would prefer to never have to edit a post on here. I'm as loose as a goose, but we have an 88 year old "old world' (VERY elegant) lady from Japan who visits just to enjoy my photos, I don't know where else she wanders. We have nuns, priests, an Anglican Bishop, KIDS, and folks from 123 countries who visit to read about their plants. Who know who else? We have been in Time magazine twice, Seventeen and will be in Women's World soon... I would hate for anyone to form an opinion of the site and forum based on a word that was posted without thinking. Thats why I try to watch for certain words and if I see them I delete them..

I'll update the "banned words" list.

#104647 December 4th, 2004 at 05:12 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
Gee....I have company for a few hours and I miss all kinds of stuff!

I'll update the "banned words" list.
Where is this list? Duh
I probably need to go study it! shocked
(There might be a pop quiz sometime!)

From now on I'll call Freckles "H kissies

Cindy

#104648 December 4th, 2004 at 05:38 AM
shocked shocked shocked

My kid kissies

#104649 December 4th, 2004 at 05:45 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
In person, i swear a little bit, but most of the time, *even on the board here* i replace my swears with real words that you would never use in a business meeting ^.^ Like "foozle" and "shnickin" and stuff like that smile

~Phoebe

#104650 December 4th, 2004 at 06:15 AM
Um, where is this list?
I would like to read it and see if I need to edit any of my posts...

I try to be considerate of others, but in real life I cuss like a sailor, and have stopped thinking of h---, d---, and a-- even as swear words. Though, we've got a kid now too, and I suppose will have to start cleaning up the ol' act.

#104651 December 4th, 2004 at 06:18 AM
Greenhouse Pixie
Greenhouse Pixie
I donno if this still applies, but i remember "stupid" and any other derogatory word being a swear when i was 3 o.O Then again, that was back in New Zealand ^.^

I also remember getting a time out for saying "I gotta poooooooooooooooop! eek "

#104652 December 4th, 2004 at 06:29 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
in real life I cuss like a sailor, and have stopped thinking of h---, d---, and a-- even as swear words.
I started to say NO SH#! ! , but better not! laugh

And POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP?
Duh
I read Brennan a book in the doctor's office the other day entitled "Everybody Poops!"

Cindy

#104653 December 4th, 2004 at 06:42 AM

I read Brennan a book in the doctor's office the other day entitled "Everybody Poops!"

Cindy
Hey, I just almost bought my son that very same book from Children's Book of the Month Club! How was it? grinnnn

#104654 December 4th, 2004 at 06:53 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
It was great!
He laughed so hard when we were reading it. laugh
As soon as I got done, he said "Read it again!"
thumbup thumbup Two thumbs up!

Cindy

#104655 December 4th, 2004 at 06:54 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
How old is your son?

#104656 December 4th, 2004 at 08:52 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We have been in Time magazine twice, Seventeen and will be in Women's World soon...
Bill... CONGRATULATIONS!!! thumbup grinnnn

#104657 December 4th, 2004 at 11:09 AM
melcon6 Offline OP
OP Offline
Ya know, Bill, when I started this topic what I was really after was some retrospect on how the site has evolved and some of the things we remember from the beginning. It's turned into a discussion on swearing which wasn't my point , but it just used to look funny whenever I was talking about mowing the gr*** to see that it had been changed and how about the special effect when changing pages?? Didn't it used to change from top to bottom, slowwwwwwwwwly and then from the middle outward??? I don't even know how to describe it.

Come on Jiffy and Bill , and other "old-timers" what else about the forum from way back when?? thumbup

#104658 December 4th, 2004 at 03:42 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
It's turned into a discussion on swearing which wasn't my point
Well, maybe that wasn't your point, but I'm glad it was brought up. It made me think about what Bill said...
I would hate for anyone to form an opinion of the site and forum based on a word that was posted without thinking.
...and it made me realize that I have said things on here that I shouldn't have, for that very reason. Kind of a "wake-up call"!

This post has made me aware that I need to THINK a little bit more before I hit that reply key!
And maybe I need to lay off Bill and stop the "remarks" I make on here to him sometimes... :rolleyes: kissies

Cindy

#104659 December 4th, 2004 at 04:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
stop the "remarks"
C,mon Cindy thats part of your charms thumbup laugh

G-Mom grinnnn

#104660 December 4th, 2004 at 05:21 PM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
C,mon Cindy thats part of your charms
laugh That's probably not what Bill thinks! laugh

#104661 December 4th, 2004 at 09:13 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well, this is going to be a "2 parter" so, i'll do the first part first laugh laugh

the site has evolved from a place that i checked once a week for changes and new posts to a place that changes by the hour.

the quality of information has stayed the same, but the quantity has multiplied exponentially.

in the beginning, most of the posts were answered by bill himself, flower (one of the hostesses who has dropped out of the hostess league, but a very knowlegable, sweet lady - who happens to be a friend of bill's), or some of the other folks.

the "know it alls" usually tried to get the scoop on what was best, and most of us were afraid to disagree with them, so it was up to bill to set the record straight.

if i remember correctly, there were about 6 areas. many of the other areas (welcome wagon, webmaster's corner, all of gardening friends EXCEPT gardener's chat and banter hall, are additions that have come as the need arose.

and this is the one site that has consistantly been open, friendly, welcoming, and free. in my time here, i have only know of about 4 members who have been "poofed" for unbecoming behavior, maybe another 4 who left due to differences of opinion, and the "hackers" and solicitors who seem to come in waves. additionally, there have been quite a few who leave or drift away due to personal circumstances, but we are all excited when they come back (hence "returning members").

i love it here, and wouldn't trade it for the world!!

#104662 December 4th, 2004 at 09:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok, part 2...

this is a warning to all the parents out there...

my husband, who was a sailor the first 10 years of our marriage, had a particular saying that included a hand gesture (NOT the one fingered salute) to describe folks he thought were obnoxious and he generally didn't like. i warned him not to say/use it in front of the kids, but he was a stubborn sailor until...

our younger daughter was developmentally delayed and couldn't talk until she was almost 4. well, when she was 2, we were driving cross country and she decided she wasn't going to get in her car seat. her daddy made her, and she was most unhappy about it. after he got back in the driver's seat, and started the car, she caught his eye in the rearview and made the gesture to tell him exactly what she thought about him and that car seat. 18 years later, the gesture (which looks innocent w/o the words to go with it) is enough to make him stop and think about his language! laugh laugh laugh

so, if you have kids (or grand kids) of the impressionable age... (or care what others might think about your intellect) be careful, very careful! and that includes what you write on the board! laugh laugh laugh kissies

#104663 December 4th, 2004 at 09:49 PM
My son is 14 monts old. Maybe a LITTLE too young for "Everybody Poops", but I'll remember it for later! grinnnn

Okay, now I feel properly chastised for my swear words. Gotta go change some posts... wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard