This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104360 January 5th, 2004 at 11:53 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Hi,
I'm John, and i just bought a whole bunch of houseplants today, and having never had a plant before, i thought it would be wise to figure out what i'm doing from people who do.
Anyways, I'll probably be asking lots of annoying, obvious questions, but bear with me and maybe help a new guy out.
See you around.

#104361 January 6th, 2004 at 01:25 AM
Hi, John from Canada, welcome to out great site. How did you get them houseplants home from the store without freezing them? wink I was going to pick some up the other day but at -20 i'll have to wait.

#104362 January 6th, 2004 at 04:27 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Welcome to John from Canada! wavey

#104363 January 8th, 2004 at 01:03 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Wow, awesome responses. I've never been so welcomed in my whole life!
Well the transfer was tricky, but i just warmed up the car, drove up to the door, hurried the plants into the car as fast as i could, and drove hoem as fast as i could.
It was a gamble, but it seems to be working.
I play alot of guitar. I really don't stick to any one genre, but primarily I play with pretty acoustic stuff, classic rock, some heavy metal, funk and blues. Any other music nuts here?

#104364 January 8th, 2004 at 03:02 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
JC *aka Hollywood* loves music and does cd's of them for her self...
UV428 (Dan) is into music, but, it's been a bit,
since we've talked with him.......
Muskrat, in Germany also is a musician..........
Seems like a few others, but can't remember
right now.....

Glad to have you here.....Don't forget to add your voice to the new sections we have here,
Game room for jokes and stuff, Banter Hall for chatting, crafts and hobbies, recipes, all different sections for gardening questions......
Ask all you need to~to keep those plants healthy!!

Weezie

#104365 January 8th, 2004 at 05:52 AM
Hi John -

My husband has 4 guitars and our 20 year old son has 3 so far. They are both self-taught and quite good. They enjoy downloading music from the internet and playing it. They never play together unfortunately, but are both a pleasure to listen to. cool

I took 8 years of piano as a kid, but rarely play these days. I also took a few years of guitar, but that has also fallen by the wayside I'm afraid. Duh

Our daughter has been playing the flute for 4 years now - she's 13, and it's a joy to listen to her play - it just warms my heart! thumbup

#104366 January 8th, 2004 at 08:07 AM
J
OP Offline
J
Wow.. and you don't play any instruments?
That's surprising.

#104367 January 8th, 2004 at 02:44 PM
Hey John~

It's not that I don't play... I'm just really rusty - LOL! laugh
I sat down to play the piano for a few hours a few weeks ago, and I don't know which was worse - my playing, or how badly out of tune it is!!! Duh :p frown Gotta get on having it tuned right away.

I forgot to mention that I also dabbled in playing the soprano recorder for a while when I was in college. That was great fun - playing along with records, etc. The stairwells in my dorm were great for the sound effects too. wink

How long have you been playing guitar? What kind do you have? My husband recently went with my nephew over the holidays to get him his 2nd guitar - an ovation. My son has a really nice one too.

#104368 January 8th, 2004 at 09:46 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Ah, i see..
I've been playing for about 2 and a half years self taught. My acoustic is a Yamaha. My electric is a low-end Barracuda (now retired from action).

I used to play piano when I was little, and I can still hack out a rythym, but like you, i'm pretty rusty! I can't really read notes like I read a book anymore, but it I stare at them long enough they start to make sense. After I taught myself the basic scales and whatnot on guitar, ironically, I learnt more about playing piano by playing guitar!

Link Copied to Clipboard