This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#104165 August 20th, 2004 at 05:42 AM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Hi...
I went into my bird's room to check on my begonia so i could water it... >.< The bottom 1/3rd of it was still in the pot, and the other half was on the floor ters I shoulda steaked it >.< *stomps* i shoulda! I'm so sad and frusturated now ters It was almost 4 ft tall, and that was since may eek

Oh well... I'm wondering if i should attempt to fuse it back together... It probably won't work though... I snapped off a few 18" leaves on the bottom of the top half, and stuck the node in a chalace full of water... It was the chalace it was originally rooted in...

eek Howcome it had to snap? It was doing so well! I'm just so sad cuz of this, cuz my mom gave it to me as my 3rd plant, and now its back where it started... *sigh* atleast it'll be easier to send to college now...

~Phoebe ters

#104166 August 20th, 2004 at 06:31 AM
Awww, so sorry, Phoebe. ters

#104167 August 20th, 2004 at 06:58 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Phoebe,
Is it completely snapped off, or
still partly attached!!!!

One of my first gardening adventures was;
I had an Angelwing Begonia when I was a kid,
and same thing happened, it snapped 3/4 of the way off, I was sooooooooo sad, I know exactly how you feel!!!

But I wanted to do the same as you, put it back...
And this is what I did, and learned something from it!!!

I took duct tape and put it back side around the stem to hold it up... So the sticky side was on the outside, it takes a bit of concentration to get it that small against it'self, with out sticking itself together a 1000 times... laugh shocked

But, make sure it's tight enough around to hold it up, but not enough to strangle it,
Well, as the weeks went by, I knew it must have
taken because it was Happy looking, so I left it for a good part of the summer....
But, I figured, I'd better take it off sooner or later and see what it did, well, low and behold
it had grown roots under the darkened duct tape area.... so, I snapped it off and stuck it in the dirt....

There's a place called Lee Valley Tools that has a unit, just like that, clamps down over the area you want to root, and you throw
in some dirt so the roots have something to grow into... kinda neat little tool..

Buttttttttttt, if it's off, I'm not sure that procedure will work, when it's completely off,
there's no mamma plant to feed it in the mean time, but hey, give it an experiment!!!

The top part should root, I would think also,
if you stuck it in the dirt... *and even a tiny bit of some rooting hormone can't hurt it*

Good luck!!!
thumbup
Weezie

#104168 August 20th, 2004 at 02:50 PM
yep minees done that before thumbup I hope your roommate likes plants.LOL

#104169 August 20th, 2004 at 06:33 PM
Nako Offline OP
Greenhouse Pixie
OP Offline
Greenhouse Pixie
Well, this plant was made from a cutting from my mom's mother plant. The stem on hers turned a very pretty purple color, and is over an inch thick! I want mine to do that smile But ya the entire thing was completely snapped off clean... Right at a node though, so that worked out okay... Every cutting i've taken, node or not, has rooted just fine in water without rooting hormone... so i think i'll just root the top and give it to Ryan's mom. I'll make sure its properly steaked this time >.< oh! or i could give it to ms. cindy! She loves begonias! But she'd probably think it was evil lol. It does look kinda evil with its big leaves all poised for attack lol. But ya, every day i had to rotate it, and every day i said "i'll steak it tomorrow!" so ya, i asked for it kinda...

>.< Still sux that i let that happen before i could get a good picture of it for my august photo album. I'm just gonna root it in water and give it to somene for now though. Its a pretty easy plant to care for anyway Duh

>.< I was so sad last night when i found it like that though. I cried for like fifteen minutes ters I still gotta tell my mom about it >.< I hope she won't be mad at me or anything...

~Phoebe

#104170 August 22nd, 2004 at 04:46 AM
Official Problem Child
Official Problem Child
I'll have you know that I couldn't possibly think any Begonia could be evil! laugh

(Great! Now I'll probably dream about a killer Begonia tonight! flw

Link Copied to Clipboard