This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#103865 January 12th, 2004 at 05:45 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Any quilters out there??

I love working with fabric, new and vintage. Lots of fun!

I also like to collect vintage tablecloths, etc....and remake them (only if they have tears, stains...not perfect ones!) into something else.

Barbara flw flw flw

#103866 January 12th, 2004 at 06:01 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Barb,
I don't make them (I'm rotten with anything that looks like a needle and sometype of thread)
but, I have a quilt I am unbelievable attached to.
When my step~gramma died (I really liked her,
she was wonderful to me) we were going through her things, and she had some of those round circle pieces, pieced together, all pretty colors, and
I took those and gave them to my grannie (mom's mom) and she made me a quilt out of them,
it's like a "Double~Grannie'd Quilt".
And I just think of those two wonderful ladies, everytime I go by the quilt!!!
Thanks for the memories!!

Weezie

#103867 January 14th, 2004 at 03:54 PM
Hi Barbara,
I love the vintage quilts. I make some quilts myself.. But I prefer to tack mine. It is something that the kids can help do and doesn't take so long to do. Material... well I have enough material and yarn to open my own craft store! It is a dying art I think... flw

#103868 January 16th, 2004 at 10:46 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Weezie,

Oh, do you mean yo-yo's? They are round, sewed around and gathered? If that's what you mean, I love them! They always remind me of my favorite aunt. She used to make them and every time I see them I smile and think of her!

I think that's why I love quilts/quilting. It reminds me of a...I dunno....kinder, gentler time, maybe? Sort of like a wonderful garden...all those memories!

In fact, my aunt was the one to get me into gardening in the first place! She had the sunny yard and I dug and bought all of the plants. Wanna know what I got out of that garden? Two squashes and maybe three tomatoes!! My aunt would GIVE away all the produce, and I never got any of it!!!! LOL!!!!!

Barbara

#103869 January 17th, 2004 at 06:13 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by moonstar:
Hi Barbara,
I love the vintage quilts. I make some quilts myself.. But I prefer to tack mine. It is something that the kids can help do and doesn't take so long to do. Material... well I have enough material and yarn to open my own craft store! It is a dying art I think... flw
Moonstar

Sounds cool! I am no quilting expert...rather a novice, so mostly I experiment. I know what you mean about having enough fabric...I have a Lot!

Barbara

#103870 January 18th, 2004 at 03:36 AM
I am the baby shower? your-gonna-get-a quilt-queen. I made a few for our beds also. The baby quilts are more fun.

#103871 January 18th, 2004 at 09:10 PM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by tamara:
I am the baby shower? your-gonna-get-a quilt-queen. I made a few for our beds also. The baby quilts are more fun.
Tamara,

I like doing children's/baby quilts the best too! I find it so much easier to finish them before getting bored/frustrated. The smaller size are easier to work with. I like wall hangings too.

What is your favorite baby quilt to make???

Barbara grinnnn

#103872 January 18th, 2004 at 09:58 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Barb,
The circles are, like the feathers on a peacock
I guess you'd call it, or like when kids would make a turkey for Thanksgiving....big at the top, and for the part of the circle they were flat so
in the middle it was an open round hole//?//

Does that make any sense???

The very closest I could come to a pattern like is the following one, the one I found is in the shape of a heart when they are done putting it together, mine were circles....

circle like pattern

Weezie

Is your Aunt still around?
She sounds like a wonderful person!!!!!
Well, actually, most all gardeners are wonderful people!!

#103873 January 25th, 2004 at 02:48 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by weezie13:
Barb,
The circles are, like the feathers on a peacock
I guess you'd call it, or like when kids would make a turkey for Thanksgiving....big at the top, and for the part of the circle they were flat so
in the middle it was an open round hole//?//

Does that make any sense???

The very closest I could come to a pattern like is the following one, the one I found is in the shape of a heart when they are done putting it together, mine were circles....

circle like pattern

Weezie

Is your Aunt still around?
She sounds like a wonderful person!!!!!
Well, actually, most all gardeners are wonderful people!!
Hey, Weezie! Yes!! The round ones are yo-yos!

No, my aunt died two years ago this April. I miss her every day. She was one of my best friends, and almost a second mother...lost to Breast Cancer that turned into Bone Cancer. Still can't believe she's gone sometimes....keep thinking to call her when something funny happens.

Thinkin' of funny....she was a riot. She once had a yard sale (due to cancer she was moving in with her son) and I caught her selling one of the BELOVED books I had loaned her....I had to BUY it from her!!!! laugh laugh

LOL!!!!

#103874 January 27th, 2004 at 01:23 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Barb,
I found the name of the quilt pattern,
It's called "Dresden Plate"
I'll go look for a picture in a bit!!
*I"m cooking dinner and it just happened to be
on the QVC, quilts, just going off and it
said, last chance for the Dresden Plate design,
and we're on to the next quilt!! I"m glad I saw it)
Weezie

#103875 January 27th, 2004 at 02:07 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Weezie,

Oh,OK! That's NOT a yo-yo. I'm sorry...I must have misunderstood! laugh

The Dresden Plate pattern is gorgeous, isn't it? You can make it with scraps...for a down home country scrappy look, or you can make it with pastel colors, or any other colors you can think of! thumbup

There are sooo many different kinds of gorgeous patterns...you should see my quilt book pattern library!! grinnnn

I've seen some of QVC'S quilts, and I have to say most of them are awesome! I just bought a featherbed from them from Northern Nights...Love it!!!

Weezie....do you have a sort of *theme* when you garden...a style I guess says it better? My style is cottagey countryish/shabby chic mix....and throwing a homemade quilt outside on a sunshiny day on my rockers gets a lot of notice. Even if the quilt didn't turn out as well as I would have liked it looks colorful on the porch, and people from the road don't see the mistakes! wink wink laugh laugh

#103876 February 3rd, 2004 at 03:27 AM
I am learning how to quilt. My mother-in-law is a quilter. The first time we met, I was amazed by a quilt that she had on her frame(which had taken over their dining room). Since then, I've met her quilting group, helped out with some shows, and have started to learn the processes. I'm not great at piecing yet, but I'm getting there. I just got done with a chenielle quilt that I made for my newest neice. My favorite block is "card tricks"

#103877 February 7th, 2004 at 06:12 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally posted by Jennifer Vermeire:
I am learning how to quilt. My mother-in-law is a quilter. The first time we met, I was amazed by a quilt that she had on her frame(which had taken over their dining room). Since then, I've met her quilting group, helped out with some shows, and have started to learn the processes. I'm not great at piecing yet, but I'm getting there. I just got done with a chenielle quilt that I made for my newest neice. My favorite block is "card tricks"
Jennifer,

Cool! You're learning to hand quilt! I use the machine. I am not all that good either...but I enjoy it. I love the Sunbonnet Sue pattern.

#103878 February 8th, 2004 at 10:55 PM
I have a Sunbonnet Sue quilt that my grandmother made for me. I LOVE the whole hand quilting thing...its the learning to piece things correctly that is getting me. But I am learning. My favorite part is sewing on the binding...which seems to be everyone's least favorite part! I've mastered hiding my stitches. I'm starting to look at different blocks to make a quilt for my oldest niece. She graduates in 2006...I figure if I start now, I should have it done for her graduation gift!! laugh I want to do a sort of lifetime quilt. I looked online and haven't really found much on something like this. But each block will have a special meaning...ie: 1st block will be for the day she was born, 2nd block a first word, 3rd block her first step...and on and on. I could design the blocks myself, but I don't feel like doing all the applique. I'm really good at the button hole stitch, but this quilt isn't the kind that you use that stitch on. My mom-in-law is going to help me out when we go to see her in a couple of weeks. She said she has a book that might have what I'm looking for. I have some pictures of quilt tops that her quilting group did in a round robbin. I will post them on my website sometime in the next couple of days. kit

#103879 February 11th, 2004 at 03:59 AM
B
Barb H. Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Oh, please do post them...let me know!

I would love to see them

Link Copied to Clipboard