This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#103719 December 17th, 2003 at 09:21 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
ANYBODY DO ANY SCRAP BOOKING????

#103720 December 17th, 2003 at 10:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I do, I do....I just started about 6 months ago....not a scrapbooking expert yet, but I like to draw so I draw a lot of little pictures around the edges of the paper, and use stickers and different cut out shapes....it's a lot of fun..... thumbup

#103721 December 17th, 2003 at 11:26 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Oh goodie somewhere to ask ?'s about scrapebooking! Did one page one time in one of those sell the book kind of things. Really interested in it. Will be starting as soon as I get my mom settled in Jan. sometime. Can use her place since my cats would have a great time getting into it all. frown and I could leave the mess out. thumbup

My mom and I have tons of pictures. First ? of many ....what type of glue or sticky stuff do you use?
kit

#103722 December 18th, 2003 at 05:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Karen, it just depends....on some pictures I just use scrapbooking stick glue....you can find it with the scrapbooking stuff....sometimes I use these little double sided sticky tape things that are specifically for photos...they do a pretty good job and then I don't feel bad about gluing a picture in....but if it is a pic that is a double then I don't worry too much....you can buy scissors that cut different ways other than straight...diagonal or curvy blades....they make the pictures look a little more interesting....or you can just put the regular picture on a piece of colored paper and cut the edges around the paper...to frame the picture....There are all types of fun things that you can glue into the scrapbook...little butterflies, flowers, hearts...you name it, you can find it.....I use colored pencils to draw in the book with....it can be time consuming and can make a mess with all the scrapbooking tools out, but when I am in the mood I pull it all out and work on it for a while!!! wavey

#103723 December 21st, 2003 at 08:21 PM
AV Queen
AV Queen
I used the photo corners to attach my wedding photo's to the scrapbook pages...they work okay, but not great.

#103724 January 7th, 2004 at 06:39 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
HSN has scrap~booking supplies on sale,
go to HSN
and the front page has CRAFTOPIA,
there's four different catagories to select from..
If you're curious!!!

Weezie

#103725 January 8th, 2004 at 04:25 PM
R
R
I did ones for each of my children. It was so much fun but then I was done.

But then I thought of one that will be ongoing - one for my garden.

I use all my old catalogs, a few pictures and some pressed flowers. It is organized by alphabetical order of the latin names.

I add where it is in the yard, where I bought it or where I rescued it from and who gave it to me.

When I was on the garden tour last year everyone really enjoyed it.

#103726 January 8th, 2004 at 04:52 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Hey Rue,
Can you come to my house and do some for me??

I need to do that.... I am so bad at organizing...
Duh

(When I win the lottery, I'll send you a plane
ticket thumbup )

Weezie

#103727 January 10th, 2004 at 04:04 AM
R
R
Ok I`ll be waiting for that ticket.

#103728 January 10th, 2004 at 04:11 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
wavey grinnnn lala

#103729 February 15th, 2004 at 06:31 AM
ok, so I'm a little late to the game. but before I started a new thread I decided to see if anyone had posted on scrapbooking, and voila, here it is.
thumbup

my adhesive of choice is the tape rollers, they are like the two sided tape squares, but you just roll it out, it's much quicker and less messy than glue.

I'll stop there for now. I'm into scrapbooking the way Weezie's into compost. laugh if you get me started, you'll soon be saying someone's got a case of the "rellie's" on a long post. laugh

#103730 February 15th, 2004 at 07:31 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Rellie,
It is OKKKKKKKKKKKKKKAY to "Get the Rellie's"
When you talk about something you love!!!!!!!

We love to hear about it, and you help several
people along the way with your passion of scrapbooking!!!
Some members like to read the posts and learn, and they may never log in, but they are there.
And the ones that come here on a daily basis, also learn alot from you and your love and passion for something....
Some people may be looking for something to do,
and your enthusiasm helps them decide which to do first!!!

So you just go right ahead and get all the RELLIE'S you want too!!

I would love to hear about it,
I took a class for it one time,
I need to do my photo albums,
but just never seem to have the time
since the wee~one came along,
keeps me hoppin'............

They have craft day on HSN and QVC
and I love watching them, they seem to have
great deals there, but never know where to start.

Weezie

#103731 February 15th, 2004 at 07:14 PM
all right, here goes, but remember, Weezie asked for it, so ya'll can blame her, (or just not read the post i guess)

Scrapbook basics according to Rellie:
teech teech teech teech teech teech

First place to begin is ANYWHERE. if you've got piles of boxes of photos under the bed, or in a closet or anything, they are not being loved and enjoyed, so just dig in. Don't worry too much about starting with each kids birth, or the first day you dug a hole in your garden, JUST DO SOMETHING. one of my friends sayings is "life's too short, let's just scrap!"

I would start with idea books. I like to get the memory makers books. they are about $15 each, but have hundreds of sample pages to start your brain working.

On the day you sit down to work, just plan on doing a few pages, don't pull out more than you can do in a couple hours. and don't leave is sitting out, it'll just make you feel guilty when you pass by it and you haven't worked on it in weeks and it's gathering dust. (if there are any other "flybabies" out there, you know of what I speak. wink

Now to the actual Doing of Scrapbooking:

1.Choose photos of like theme or time line-- for example all your kids at 4 yrs old, or each of them fishing with dad, etc.
**I like to do what's called a "two page spread" it means when you open an album (or book) and lay it flat, the two pages that are up would all be part of the same layout, rather than the facing pages being different themes. I just like it better, but it's a personal thing.
So you chose about 4-5 pics per page, or 8-10 for a two page spread.

2.. head to your supply closet (or store) and choose papers, stickers, and embellishments that compliment your pics.
**I rarely buy kits because I have too much left over product that doesn't get used**
**I also bring my pics with me so I can see how they look with certain papers, also keeps me focused so I don't blow the bank on supplies**

3. lay your pics on the scrapbook page and get an idea where you want each picture.

4.crop your pictures.
**some people use templates and cut shapes, I mostly stick to Squares or rectangles, for time's sake. I also think the pages look better if there's just ONE odd shaped pictue that you want to emphasize. for example the happy couple at their anniversary party in a heart, and everyone else is squares. if there's hearts, circles, balloons, diamonds, there's no focus.
**Also for times sake I use a big cutter (kind of like the school paper cutters) rather than scissors. I may add a dcorative edge on one or two pics, but not all.
**remember to leave one or two pics full or nearly full size to show the context of the other pics.

5. Use PAPER. i sometimes double or tripple matte the pics for effect.

6. Adhere it all to the scrapbook page.

7.MOST IMPORTANTLY: JOURNAL most of the people who look at your albums will not know why these photos are so important to you. write it down. I prefer to use my own hand instead of the computer. I know I can recognize my mom's handwriting out of a hundred samples. it's part of who she is. I want to leave that for my children in my books. eventhough my handwriting is not the best, but it is penned by my own hand.

8. add stickers and other embelleshments. there are tons out there. remember no to overdo it. make sure the pics tell the story and the other stuff adds to it.

there you go! I'm taking a breath now. whew. I hope that wasn't too basic or too overwhelming, I'm not sure where you're at in the process.

#103732 February 15th, 2004 at 09:06 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
OMG....like I stated earlier, I really want to get into this....I have a ton of pix as well as my mom's catrillion pix. Have a lot of pix from family long ago that I really want to get together....I am sooo lost as to where to start! You stated start with a few and go for it. But WHERE???? I guess I need to go to a Michaels and look around and check out some books ideas.

Should I pull out ALL the photos and sort into categories? I feel so unorganized....like I said their are tons.

*Will the books ruin the pictures....some of my pix are REALLY OLD and don't want them ruined....a lot of them are the ONLY one around.

*I like the idea of writing in your own handwriting. Several close family members have passed recently and when I run into love letters or just simple handwriting...well lets just say massive memories come flooding through. Are there special pens you should use to not destroy pix on opposite pages?

*Guess I need to check out the store but.... do the pages come out of the albums so you can put together say 2 facing pages and then put those together and do that to several pages....then if some go together better later on group those together in another album. I'm afraid of putting some pix in one album and later on wanting them in another album.

Geez I'm making myself confused and nervous but I want to start.

Keep your ideas flowing Rellie....I am taking it all in!!!

Is there anything that is a biggggg no~no in scrapbooking....I sure don't want to learn the hard way?????? wavey

#103733 February 17th, 2004 at 12:19 AM
Ok, Catlover, I'll try to address as many of your ?? as I can...

"Should I pull out ALL the photos and sort into categories? I feel so unorganized....like I said their are tons."
--Well, You'll definately need to do some sorting. I suggest you set aside an hour or other specified amount of time and sort by either persons (Family, Friends, extended family, pets,) or event types (birthday parties, christmas, vacations, etc)
-some people use envelopes, but I found photo boxes with dividers at Target for a reasonable price. (and a tip, when I am getting pages ready I will put stickers or stuff in with the pics so I can pull it all out together easily)
--don't go back and start from your birth and try to catch up. you'll get overwhelmed and never catch up. start with something pretty recent, so you can feel a sense of accomplishment.
-DONT start with a VERY important event, like your Grandmother's wedding pics. Your first pages will probably not be your best, so stick to everyday stuff for a little while. (till you get the hang of it.)

"*Will the books ruin the pictures....some of my pix are REALLY OLD and don't want them ruined....a lot of them are the ONLY one around."
--Photo safe albums are labeled so. You will also see the words "acid free" and "lignon free" acid and lignon are what turn photos yellow and age them.
--Everything out there in the photo section of your local Michael's or Tall mouse will be made photo safe- pens, stickers, paper, etc. and should be labeled as such.
-- you CAN use stuff that isn't photo safe as long as it doesn't touch a photo.
--There are "page protectors" most of the time like plastic sleeves that keep the items on oposing pages from touching each other.
--Also, the Kodak piture makers things do great at making a color copy and can re-touch or re-color photos and thus save you the risk of damaging the ONLY one you have. (last time i went it was about $5.00 a sheet)

"*Guess I need to check out the store but.... do the pages come out of the albums so you can put together say 2 facing pages and then put those together and do that to several pages....then if some go together better later on group those together in another album. I'm afraid of putting some pix in one album and later on wanting them in another album."
--There are all kinds of different albums, some with pages that can be rearranged, and some not. But remember, on the back of the two page spread will be the start of the next one. HOWEVER.. I recall seeing a type of album that was just sleeves, then you make your page on cardstock (thick special paper) and slide it in the album any way you want. This may work for you if you could slide two cardstock in back to back??? I have never used that kind of album myself.
-- I don't think I mentioned it on the other post, but I LOVE going to "crops". these are workshops hosted by supply stores or consultants where a bunch of people get together and work on their albums. I like to go cuz then I get a day away from the kids just to focus on having fun and doing my thing. but they are also a great way to meet other scrapbook addicts and the consultans or store workers are there to lend all their expertise. And there is product there to buy as well. And when you find a group that get together often, they tend to share supplies and trade papers, etc. They have different type of classes for all different levels of experience. I personally prefer to go to a Creative Memories consultant. It's usually in their home and often snacks or meals are included in the cost. They have a function on their website where you can find your local consultant. Michael's and Tall Mouse also hold classes locally.

OK, there it is for round 2, did I forget anything?? Hope it was helpful.
wavey

#103734 February 17th, 2004 at 05:04 AM
Welp, I'd call that the "Rellie's"

Awesome, Hon.... thumbup

I'm learning so much...!

You go, Girlie!

#103735 February 17th, 2004 at 07:53 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
"Scrapbooking thumbup

Thank you sooo much....there are A LOT of people that wander through here daily and I bet you have inspired many grinnnn
Thanx again Rellie for all the info....believe me I will be asking more ?'s later on!!!
Catlover

#103736 February 17th, 2004 at 11:42 PM
LOZ,
wish I had your artistic flair and could add to my pages that way. I stick to store bought stuff mostly. I have friends who add their own drawings, or whatever and their books look great! I'm good at the organizing, planning, type stuff, that's my thing... but I always draw my inspiration from other's ideas... wish i was more creative on my own. but it's fun either way! and at least the pics are in books and not shoe boxes anymore! grinnnn

#103737 February 18th, 2004 at 12:00 AM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
They have alot of that type of stuff on
the QVC on all day and HSN has Craftopia Day!

Weezie

#103738 March 12th, 2004 at 10:17 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Hey Rellie and Scrapebook people,
There's a Scrapebook Marathon on QVC this week~end!!
I missed one day of it but it's on tonight,
@ 7:00pm to 8:00pm March 12th. (Friday)
And again on March 13th @ 5~7:00am and 7~9:00pm (Saturday)
Hey, you never know what you might find!!

And if anything, just watch for IDEAS!!!!!
Have fun!!
Weezie

#103739 March 30th, 2004 at 07:26 PM
L
L
Hi I also do scrap booking love doing it and love to try all of the new items for it too,hope to see you around and I hope you all have fun scrap booking bye

#103740 March 31st, 2004 at 02:42 PM
Compost Queen!
OP Offline
Compost Queen!
Scrapbooking projects/items/ideas today 3/31/04~Wednesday on QVC

11:00AM - 12:00PM SNAP IT & SCRAP IT

Something to do with digital pictures for it too!!

Weezie

#103741 April 8th, 2004 at 05:36 AM
Yes! I do scrap booking. I only have started on one but once I get married I plan on Making another!!! It's fun and easy and you can keep a lifetime of memories in a creative way!!

#103742 April 10th, 2004 at 03:43 PM
Hey Danielle,
After seeing your scrapbook, well I am just going to have to try my hand at putting one or 20 together. You know me...I get a little obsessive with my hobbies. Yours is just so darn cute, I have to give it a go. I'm not sure if grandma would like the photo of her feeding her face at the family dinner, but it gave me a good chuckle lol:) BEWARE: Now you know what you'll be getting for Christmas, as well as birdhouse gourds, corn brooms, hand collected garden seeds, homemade teas...and so on & so on lol laugh Chrissy (Mom)

#103743 April 16th, 2004 at 08:48 AM
Danielle and "Mom",
Wanted to reply to this sooner, but it's been a BUSY week. Glad to have more scrappy folks on the board! Saving our memories for us and family and friends to enjoy is such a worthwhile and rewarding hobby.

Catlover- made any progress? too busy diggin in the dirt?

Weezie- stop sendin' me the QVC specials, you temptress you.
wink

my mom sent me a shoe box full of pics from my childhood. and two albums to fill. one to be of myself and one to be of my brother. While watching tv the other night I went through and seperated by pics of bro, pics of me, and pics of us together.
The next step will be to sort by age. although she didn't write on many of them, so it will be broad age categories, like baby, toddler, elementary, high school and adult. while sorting i also noticed several Easter, christmas, and birthday photos. I may group those together and not so much with the "by age" pics. Also I noticed there were lots of pics of me with animals, that will probably be one layout, and my brother in sports, and also of him with his "catch" after fishing. first one is at about age 7 and last one he's a senior in high school. The pics of us together I will just divide up, and the really special ones I will photo copy so there can be one in each album. Anyway, that is how my brain processes stuff. I would like to have at least one of the albumsdone by mother's day, but would be a long shot.

how's everyone else progressing?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard