This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10331 November 26th, 2003 at 06:45 PM
Wally Offline OP
OP Offline
:rolleyes: I have a Spider plant that was taken as a spiderling( is that the right term?),planted in the spring, and is growing quickly. The leaves are about 1 foot long now but I'm not seeing any signs of spiderlings from it yet. How long does it usualy take? The original stem it was cut from is still there and green up to about half way. Should I cut this stem off,cut the dead half off or just leave it?
Man I'm having fun here! This is a great site!!!
Thanks for your help,
Wally

#10332 November 26th, 2003 at 07:04 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
wavey Hey Wally wavey
Not too much into house plants,
But I just wanted to say HI!! wavey
Glad you're having fun here.
It is a nice place.........

If I were to offer some advice
until someone who grows it and
knows the growing habits,
my guess would be, to have a
bit of patients with the wee~one,
give it a bit of time to set in good roots.
As with any plant, house, annual or perennial...
Roots are important, that's how it feeds it's
self......(you wouldn't want to grow and take on a family with out time to set a job and place to live, right??)LOL thumbup

#10333 November 26th, 2003 at 07:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
hey wally, this one i know about. the spider will not send out babies until the roots are totally established and the foliage is full. it doesn't have to be root bound although i have heard some say that. mine weren't and did send out babies after about 6 months to a year. like weezie said, patience with the little one is in order!!

#10334 November 26th, 2003 at 07:30 PM
Wally Offline OP
OP Offline
zzzzz Thank you very much! I'll have a few winks and see what happens.
Patience is a virtue right?

#10335 November 26th, 2003 at 08:19 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
wally, momma always said that patience couldn't be a virtue because it does come with age (at least a little bit) and virtues can not be acquired! so i think to be patient is virtuous, but patience itself isn't a virtue! does that make sense? or am i starting to sound like weezie?! laugh laugh j/k weezie, you know we love you! kissies

#10336 November 29th, 2003 at 02:30 PM
I have 2 spider plants with quite a history. I received them as newly started plants. I kept them in my office window until they were so big that no one could walk by them without brushing against them. I brought them home and planted them in bigger pots with Miracle Grow potting soil. It was not long at all before they took off. I started getting shoots about 3 months later on one of the plants. The other plant was my "slow grower". When we moved north in November, I worried about the plants freezing on the trip and I think they did get a bit of a shock, but seemed to come back. I repotted them and can say that I have never seen plants as rootbound as there were! But once I replanted them, they did not grow as fast. We moved again in July and I accidently forgot the plants outside in the beating sun and heat and thought for sure that I had killed them. With encouragement from this message board, I did not give up. I cut the plants back and am very proud to announce that not only have they come back, but I have many new plantletts and even the plantletts that are still attached to the parent plant are now sprouting plantletts of their own. My slow grower is not my fastest grower. If I can't kill these plants no one can! Good luck and enjoy your spider! I love mine!

#10337 November 29th, 2003 at 04:14 PM
We have invasive spider plants! The former residents of this house aparently didn't know what to do with all their spiderettes, so they threw them up on our hillside......everywhere!
They LOVE being in the ground and go crazy. I have to hack them back every couple of months because they send shoots down over our concrete retaining wall & they dangle down onto my succulents. They've developed huge root systems & are a booger to dig up. You can have too much of a good thing.......

Link Copied to Clipboard