This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10288 June 5th, 2003 at 07:07 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
ok folks,
Last post of the day (at least for now wink ). I have a prayer plant cutting in water on my desk. It is doing ok (leaves are dropping or turning brown) BUT when ever I turn on my desk light (in the overhead cabinets over my desk) the leaves curve down as if to get away from the light. They don't fold as far as I can tell. I have had the cutting for about a week and it doesn't have roots yet. It is in water with a cutting from an arrowhead philodendron. they were both in the same planter in another office and I snitched laugh Can you help me - and how long before they start to root??

#10289 June 5th, 2003 at 07:25 AM
C
C
hmmm, did you use tap water? some flouride can cause plants to get brown n brittle. it takes a while to root the one i had i ended up throwing away the clippings because i was so annoyed waiting for it to root. -cassie

#10290 June 5th, 2003 at 11:03 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Cassie,
I used standing water that had set out for a couple of days. Actually it was water from the ice that had melted in my cooler here at work. that is what I use to water my office plants as it doesn't have any clorine in it, and I don't think it has any flouride either. So... eek

#10291 June 5th, 2003 at 02:57 PM
B
The Garden Helper
The Garden Helper
B
Prayer plants do their praying at night. When you turn the light on, she just thinks it's time to get up and go to work, so she unfolds her hands.
I have far better success rooting my cuttings in moist vermiculite. It's much quicker and there is far less stress when it is time to plant the cutting.
Are ther any leaf nodes submerged in the water? That is necessary because that is where your new roots will develop. Give the cutting another week or so, then you might consider appropriatinganother cutting and trying again, using moist vermiculite.
Good luck!
smile

#10292 June 8th, 2003 at 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
If the desk light is an incandescent light, then the prayer plant cutting may be reacting to the heat that is given off by the bulb. Fluorscent lights are much more effective for plants and don't give off heat.

#10293 June 9th, 2003 at 01:10 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
The overhead is a flouresent light. And I did "appropriate" some more cuttings, so now I have some in potting soil (that's all I can get here at work) and some in water. Will keep you posted. Also, I moved them all to another area that doesn't have the light directly over them.

Link Copied to Clipboard