This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10165 November 4th, 2003 at 03:12 AM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi I planted mums 4 yrs. ago the colour was reddish they come up the next 2 yrs. the same colour .....the next yr. they never come up at all and this year they come up but was white with yellow centers Duh anyone know why they changed colours and will they come up next year the original colour .....thanks for any help.

#10166 November 4th, 2003 at 03:35 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hi Lakedancer, wavey
#1. Some plants revert back to their
original plants if they were hyberdized. grinnnn
Weezie

#10167 November 4th, 2003 at 04:08 AM
L
OP Offline
L
wink hmmmm lots of reason why I guess thank-you so much for your reply .. thumbup

#10168 November 4th, 2003 at 04:19 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lakedancer,
Stick around, someone else may have
an answer for you, like Bill, Papito, teech
Nikkal, any one of our gardeners may know,
I'm just taking' a guess!!

Weezie

What kind of plants do you grow??
Just curious!!

#10169 November 4th, 2003 at 05:50 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Hi I plant impatience, petunias ,geraniums ,sunflower dwarf & regular for my perenials I have tulips ,daffadils Lupins, phlox, Mums, Sedums , Hostas ,Pheones ,sandcherry bushes ,lilac trees ,snowball bush which I gonna try and turn into a tree ...lol I have freinds up there that have a master garden at their home just beautiful they are always giving me some new plants to have .... so some of them I don't know the name Duh ...oh yes this year I want to get a BJ tree they are beautiful.... wink

#10170 November 4th, 2003 at 05:59 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Okay lakedancer,
What's a BJ tree??? Duh

And with all those other flowers and plants
you'll fit in here nicely! thumbup
You grow alot!!!! gab

#10171 November 5th, 2003 at 01:51 AM
L
OP Offline
L
wavey Hi well it has flowers on it that look very similar to a Hydrangea plant , but they grow in a pear shape very very pretty .... wink they grow to about 4-5 feet ....

#10172 November 5th, 2003 at 03:57 AM
Lakedancer -
First of all, welcome to the board! wavey
I can't tell you exactly why your mums changed color (although I think Weezie's on the right track, esp. with the cross-pollination), but I know it happens, 'cause the same thing happened to me. Two years ago, I planted mums in 2 small beds on each side of the end of my driveway, in a pyramid shape, alternating white and burgundy. When they bloomed this past spring (in my zone they bloom at least twice a year) they were exactly like I planted them, altenating white and burgundy. When they came back into bloom this fall, they were all burgundy! Duh

Nikkal

#10173 November 5th, 2003 at 04:54 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lakedancer and Nikkal,
I had that happen with cone flowers, I had bought purple and white, planted them in the same bed,
but not even really next to each other, about 5 ft apart... had both colors two years, the third it the white patch came out pink..
I figured the dominance thing, one is a stronger
gene or when hyberdized, the stonger mamma plant
comes back through????

Bugged me when that happened, but I learned a
lesson, don't let the bees into your garden! laugh
No just kidding, I love the bees, but
the lesson was, don't plant the same variety so close together next time!! plant one in front, one in back!!!
I have to do that with my columbines...
I knew they did that, because I read about it.

Weezie gab

Link Copied to Clipboard