This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101560 March 27th, 2004 at 05:17 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
I have 2 Weeping willow trees that had to be pruned back due to electric lines. (Didn't realize how fast they grew. I started them from 18" long twigs I picked up in the Wendy's parking lot 4 years ago, and last fall they were higher than the electric lines!)
I've made 10 years worth of perches for Lola out of the thicker parts of the limbs. I spent two hours cutting those beautiful, long, graceful "branches" that hung down to the ground off the limbs. I had half my little Toyota truck bed full of them. So, I sat outside on the tailgate and started making wreaths out of them. They are beautiful. But, I have enough now for next years Christmas presents for everyone I know, and their kin. I have moved the rest of them into the back seat of my car due to rain, and now I'm driving around with weeping willow branches piled up to the windows! (Gee, and I wonder why the neighbors think I'm weird.)
I have problems (which I won't get started on here) with throwing anything away that I can make something out of.
What can I do with the rest of the branches?

(If I asked Andy that question I'm sure he would tell me EXACTLY what I could do with them!)

#101561 March 27th, 2004 at 05:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
cindy, you are funny, andy sounds like my hubby!

i would make baskets. basket weaving is fun (if a little agravating) and the baskets make good planters!

#101562 March 28th, 2004 at 02:15 PM
That was my first thought too, Jiffy--baskets! And the caning like for chair backs?

I'm using the windfall branches from my birch to make wicker style fences around some starts I transplanted from a friend's yard. One was a tiny thing and looked like it needed "definition" for others to know to stay away from it and that it was "supposed" to be there! I liked the result enough I made my hubby leave the pile I'd stacked near the starts when he mowed the other day, so I can do the same around the larger starts as well.

Cindy, I do know what you mean about "saving" anything that looks "potentially" useful, LOL! And my husband would have the same response as yours, too, heh! wink wavey grinnnn

Let us know what you do with them, ok?

Let's see...in the old days they could have been made into carpet beaters...but folks these days don't generally hang out and beat their carpets anymore, LOL!!! What else can we think up??? laugh

#101563 March 28th, 2004 at 04:03 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I have problems (which I won't get started on here) with throwing anything away that I can make something out of.
laugh laugh laugh
We must be related!!! thumbup

(If I asked Andy that question I'm sure he would tell me EXACTLY what I could do with them!)
laugh laugh laugh
They must be related too!!! :rolleyes:

There is someone that just joined that does stuff with those I thought, alright, brain~drain here, I'll go look up her post, maybe she can send you some ideas!! What wonderful things to have,
I'm very envious!!
We will HAVE TO SEE PICTURES YOU KNOW!!!

Weezie

#101564 March 28th, 2004 at 04:09 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Her name is Wendy Lisanby, from Illinois!!!
Maybe we can get her to do some postings on this
in the craft and hobbie section!????? kissies
Wendy?????????? Would you huh??? grinnnn
cool luv cool luv

Weezie

#101565 March 28th, 2004 at 10:37 PM
W
W
Hi Cindy!
Glad to hear you are looking for some ideas on what to do with your wonderful weeping willow twigs.
I applaud you on making a bunch of wonderful wreaths out of some of them this is an area that I haven't tried and would love to see how you made them if you would be kind enough to share a photo and explain how you did them.

While I do work primarily with willow i havent worked with the particular species weeping willow.
I do have fond memories as a child of the huge weeping willow in my grandparents backyard and how as a young child I loved to swing on the graceful branches. I do have a young weeping willow here on my property near my pond they are beautiful to look at.

As far as the characteristics of weeping willow their branches are not as strong as the other willow varieties such as sandbar and black willow. Therefore weeping willow branches are more suited to small trellis work and small projects rather than to be used in furniture or large trellises.

A few ideas on what to do with the branches. Normally with regular willow that i am going to bend but not going to use it right away i will put the ends in either a bucket of water or small kiddie pool so that they will stay pliable longer. They will on their own stay pliable longer in the winter than in the summer. So if your willow is still pliable some things you may want to make are
small bentwood projects like bentwood trellise, twig hearts, use as a small border around your plants as a short wattle type fence, use in floral swags,gather together and weave to make rustic style placemats, add willow accents to various items to give them a rustic touch such as mirrors, picture frames, journals, etc.

If the wood is no longer bendable then could focus on striaghter projects such as a no bend trellis, twig stars, glue a bunch around a coffee can or other container then wrap raffia around it to use as pencil holders, flower vases, larger containers such as round trash cans can also have twigs applied to the outside of them to give the piece a more natural rustic look.

hmmm. there are so many things you can do with twigs just use your imagination. If you are on the artistic side you may enjoy makeing sculptures with the willow.

If you have children or grandchildren, nieces, nephews, or if you are an avid doll or bear collector why not make rustic doll/bear furniture such as little chairs, beds, etc.

well there are a few ideas off the top of my head
if you see somethin there that might interest you and want more info about it email me with your personal email address and I will give you as much info on the subject as I can.

there are many ways to join items nails, screws, wire, glue, rawhide, etc etc so dont feel limited to just one way.

There are several wonderful books on the market that if you would like I could tell you about that I can recommend to you to check out or buy if you want to know about those feel free to let me know. I hope I have been of some help

Let me know what you decide to make out of it.

oh one other piece of advice for anyone working with twigs. If the twigs are dry no longer green in other words, you will always want to predrill before driving any nails to help insure that the twigs dont split. Actually i do this most of the time when nailing green to but definitely predrill dried wood.
also, when cutting the ends of your sticks leave atleast 1 1/2 inches past the nailed part so that they dont split from being cut too close to the end
oh yeah, and remember if goin to hammer more than one nail in the same area dont nail right next to eachother in a line offset eachother in more of a diagonal pattern to help avoid it from splitting.
oh brother i just seem to keep goin on and on and ............... well
will let ya go
if you have any questions let me know

blessings,
wendy

#101566 March 28th, 2004 at 10:45 PM
W
W
someone mentioned making twig baskets with all your willow here is a site that gives you some info on how to go about making a willow basket
how to make a willow basket
blessings,
wendy

#101567 March 28th, 2004 at 11:09 PM
W
W
Cindy,
I wanted to let you know I also posted a new topic called small bentwood projects which may be of interest to you if it is be sure to check it out
blessings,
wendy

#101568 March 28th, 2004 at 11:16 PM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
OOOH, OOOH, OOOH!!!!!!!!!!
I'll be back on here in a little while!!!
I'M GOING TO GO GET MY willow OUT OF THE CAR!!!
I'M EXCITED!!!

#101569 March 28th, 2004 at 11:19 PM
W
W
Cindy read your ooooh ooooh ooooh post.

YOU GO GIRL!!!! Let me know what you make
blessings,
wendy

#101570 March 29th, 2004 at 05:08 AM
Official Problem Child
OP Offline
Official Problem Child
laugh Call me basket-maker!!!
(I am laughing so hard right now I can't hardly type.)
When I'm done with this one you'll definitely get a photo! It is so lop-sided and just plain COOL!
I crack my own bad self up!

#101571 April 17th, 2004 at 10:41 PM
W
W
Cindy

what all did you decide to make out of the weeping willow branches?

wendy

#101572 May 5th, 2004 at 03:38 PM
M
M
Hi.

You can use the branches to make dreamcatchers. That's what I use to make my dreamcatchers. Just take one of the long thin branches and make it into a circle. Just keep wrapping it around onto itself. Makes a beautiful dreamcatcher and it's an authentic way of make dreamcatchers. Or send them to me! LOL. I always need willow branches for my dreamcatchers.

Dawn
thumbup

Link Copied to Clipboard