This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10150 August 8th, 2003 at 06:23 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Out here in western WI, we have been experiencing a drought since the 4th of July.
Along with the drought, we have had higher then normal temps, and extremely high humidity. Anyway, we have been having a plague of lawn diseases. Most fungal in nature. What is weird is the fact that Mother Nature is not following any rules. We are seeing fusarium patch (pink snow mold),Typhula (gray snow mold), rust, fairy rings, red thread, smuts & necrotic ring spot. ( all cooler weather diseases). All along, and mixed with the normal summer diseases such as leaf spot, dollar spot, anthracnose, brown patch ect... Slime molds are growing at a unbelievable rate, and turning into some really interesting works of nature.
Not only are cool and warm season fungi mixed together in the same lawns, but so are diseases that are nitrogen loving, and nitrogen intolerant. Which makes it really hard to treat.
I know this has been a pretty weird summer weather wise across the country. Some experiencing drought, some flood. I was wondering if anyone else has been having similar problems with lawns however, no matter what the circumstances.
Or if anyone has seen this many different diseases hit all at once before.

Thanks in advance

Mike

#10151 August 8th, 2003 at 07:30 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
plant Doc.,
I personally am not into my lawn, if it all disappeared tomorrow, I'd be having a party and selling the weed whacker, push bagger mower and the riding lawn mower!!
I like to kill lawn, by covering it!!
Pools, sheds, more sheds, raised beds, flower beds, kennels, I like to drive over it as many times as I can!! LOL!
I have two homes side by side (mine and mom's) I am the lawn maintenence crew and it's a pain!!!

But I do have alot of mushrooms growing about! We've been really, really wet and then really, really bone, cracked dry?
It's really wierd!
Weezie
Did I mention I don't like lawns???
*BIG SMILE*
Weezie
wink

#10152 August 8th, 2003 at 08:58 PM
The Cheetah!
The Cheetah!
Fescue is doing great smile Burmuda I am sorry to say is doing even better frown . So far no problems here in Southern Calif. but we are DRY. Water is REAL EXPENSIVE in San Diego county. Has to be shipped in.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is there a way to kill the darn Burmuda and keep the Fescue?????

I bet all that fungus would be neat to look at under a microscope!!!!!!!!!!!!
What can I say I loved microbiology.

Catlover

Link Copied to Clipboard