This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101448 February 3rd, 2004 at 01:11 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello everyone,

So I'm pretty much new to everything. Never really did the message board thing or joined something like this place (which is really nice, BTW). I'm also pretty new to gardening. My husband and I just bought our 1st house about an hour NW of Philadelphia. The previous owner was a wonderful gardener. The house has beds of wild flowers all around the house and periwinkle in the front growing down a pretty steep hill. We have a butterfly bush in the middle of the badkyard, a grape arbor over out patio, and a wonderfully old pump at the very back of the yard that has a cistern that holds about 300 gallons of water for the very hot and dry summers that we've been getting.

We recently received a catelog for a seed supplier and I decided to get vegetable seeds. We have an area of the yard that the previous owners used to grow potatoes. I let the potatoesd die off and will be digging everything up when the ground thaws. I will be starting the seeds shortly, depending on how long the seeds need to be started before I can transplant them. I started to keep a sort of journal for my plantings and such. I heard somewhere that it is a good thing to do. I'm going to need alot of help with things, as I come from a long line of people with a "thumb of death".

So here's to friends that I will make, and the flowers that I will grow! flw

#101449 February 3rd, 2004 at 01:58 AM
wavey Welcome Jennifer wavey

Pull up a chair and enjoy this great site!
You have a very nice homepage... by the way, I lived in Anchorage for a year. When were you there? I haven't been there since 1977 - I bet it's changed a whole lot since then!

You are in for a treat with the friendly people on these forums. Lots of good info about planting, and fun games to play while you wait for spring to arrive.

Enjoy!

#101450 February 3rd, 2004 at 03:07 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
We went for two weeks starting July 22, 2002. I loved it. My husband lived there until he was 10 and then they moved down to PA. He wants to eventually move back up there, buy land, and then build a house. I'm all for the plans. It was soo gorgeous there. We are planning on going back for a couple of weeks next January or February.

I looked at my site and realized that it needed to be updated. There are now pictures of our house and of the newest cat. We are thinking of making the deck larger...bringing it out as far as the patio and then another 8' to the right of where is is now. What do you think?

#101451 February 3rd, 2004 at 04:49 AM
Welcome, Jennifer! You have a cat named "Snot!" I LOVE it! Great website, & I love your yard; It's like a canvas ready to explode with wonderful art. You're gonna have fun here, guar-un-teed! thumbup

#101452 February 3rd, 2004 at 05:36 AM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
My husband named her. She was soo horrible looking when we first got her. She's much better now...but she's still a snot. She gets into everything! The other 2 weren't nearly as bad as she is.

The backyard has a butterfly bush right in the middle that is a wonderful purple. And there are some rose bushes that grow up against the garage back there. The little mound that is back there is a cistern that holds about 300 gallons of water and there is an old pump that still works for it. Behind the garage is a compost pile that I asked the previous owners to keep on the property.

This year I am planning on putting in a vegetable garden where there used to be a potato patch. I'm doing as much research as I possibly can. I want to surround the garden with a nice fence and where the gate will be, I want to put a trellis that you'll have to walk under and have pole beans grow up it. We have a lattice on one side of the front porch. There is a really weird vine that grows on it. I'm going to pull it out and put some Sweet Pea there. I've heard that it has a wonderful smell. Ever see it or use it before??

#101453 February 4th, 2004 at 03:43 PM
B
B
Jenn,

I'm another PA Gal! Welcome! Everyone here is so great and helpful....I am sure you'll have a lot of fun here! I'm rather new here too, and have learned so much!

I'm in Southeastern PA...so we're sorta neighbors, hmm? wavey

Hop in on the conversations around here and have fun!

#101454 February 4th, 2004 at 04:41 PM
hisgal2 Offline OP
OP Offline
Your welcome to visit anytime! The whole vegetable garden is going to be a total experiment for me...I can use all the help and advice that I can get!!!

#101455 February 7th, 2004 at 02:53 AM
B
B
LOL, maybe a visit...but I am not qualified to give gardening advice!! laugh frown laugh I'm a complete novice.

I bought an estate sale house, that needs a lot of TLC, inside and out. The outside was totally overgrown with vines, shrubs, etc. Last summer was spent raking leaves (years of leaves all around) pulling out ivy, poison and otherwise and pachysandra. Now, with most, but not all, of the lot cleared up, this will be my first real attempt at starting a garden from scratch. The outside facade of the house will get a facelift, and then I can begin tilling and gardening!!! YAHOO!

Link Copied to Clipboard