This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10126 August 6th, 2003 at 11:03 AM
A
OP Offline
A
Does anyone know where I can order it? I think it is such a beautiful plant even if it's considered invasive in many areas. None of the local garden centers here carry it and so far none of the catalogs I get have it listed.

#10127 August 6th, 2003 at 12:33 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Alan,
I guess why they don't sell it is because of the invasive list....
What happens is, people grow it and even though it is so pretty, that it gets away from them and takes over the swamps, wet lands, etc. of surround ing areas, and pushes out all of your native plants, ours it runs rampant over is the cattails, marsh marigolds, etc.
Drives them out of existance.
They have volunteer drives to go out into the lands and dig it out of the swamps.
We have it here and I'd say in a year or two you won't see the cattails anymore.
I guess if you do find some, keep it in the conditions that make it struggle the most and it has a hard time becoming rampant.
Like shade, and dry, dry, dry!!!!
Is there any rules about sending invasive plants through the mail????
Weezie

#10128 August 6th, 2003 at 01:15 PM
D
D
Holy Cow Alan !
I didn't know what Purple Loosestrife looked like so I went in search of it. It's about as popular as the bubonic plague laugh But it is pretty. Funny, I live in swamp area and we don't have it here, although on an infestation map the only state that seems to not have a problem with it is Florida. I think that's a bit odd with the everglades and all but then again...what do I know :p
Good Luck with your quest to get some, although by the looks of all the sites on control, it should be easy to find anywhere growing wild!

#10129 August 6th, 2003 at 01:23 PM
I have some of the yellow haven't grown the purple but do see on side of roads(over in Onalska on 190 for you TXns)
I'd have to find my xeroscape catalog but know it had the plants in them for 4.99 a gallon pot.is a seed catalog can't think of name right now but has medows in the name.they supply the interstate flower mixes.I've purchased the I-20 mix.plus they will sell seeds by the oz so thats a plus too as some are only 3-4$$$ for a lil ole oz.

Link Copied to Clipboard