This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#101179 September 17th, 2004 at 08:34 PM
OP Offline
I just had to tell you, Weezie, that I love how generous you are towards all!!! I just read your post in response to the abundance of fruit that Sidheblooms posted, about sharing the excess with seniors. And other posts where you have suggested volunteering, helping others out, etc! I'm in awe of your ideas and caring for others - keep it up! The world could use many more Weezies!!! kissies

#101180 September 20th, 2004 at 06:15 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lynne,
I dont' know how many more Weezie's this world could handle, my hubby says "I'm one of a kind" shocked wink laugh Duh smile
Not sure how to take that from him sometimes grinnnn ....(Not sure if he wants to make that a compliment or find out who made my "mold" and beat the H#ll out of him for makin' me!! laugh )

But it is so true, I think of the seniors sitting in those places and some don't have families, etc. to come visit, or have the things they used to have, they love to talk and remember, although, I can't take them back to where they came, I always got a few minutes to talk and remember with them....I can't do much more for them other wise, but I always have an ear to listen and extra veggies in season!!!
I think of my self sitting in one some day (OOOH, Gosh forbid, I'd drive every one up the freakin' wall!!!) but, I'd like someone to take the time for me....

I have a couple of seniors that walk up and down the street to go get groceries.... I've offered to help one lady bring her stuff home, but she says she needs the excercise and she'll call me when she needs help, I always say the same thing...
Another one is a vet and he has a wheel chair and no legs, and he always stops when the kids have their kool~aid stand is out and buys a cup of Kool~aid from each and gives them each a buck....
So, I gave him some veggies to take home... Hey, he gave my kids a memory they'll never forget and at least I could do is send him home with some good home grown veggies..
Didn't have a bumper crop like some years but hey, I've always got some for people like that!!!

Same way with here, I like to help others' with questions/answers if I can, I remember what it was like for me starting out.. Never had the internet, and would have loved some helping hints..And I have made some great friends here,
and can't imagine my life with out them!!! cool

I wish there were alot that volunteered their time and just a small helping hand, (doesn't even have to be a big project, just a conversation with someone alone can mean the world to a person.....) The world would be such a nicer place, even if it's just one helpin' hand, it's like a domino effect, something nice happened to a person in need, and they in turned helped someone else and that good cheer is spread round the world.... literally now adays with the internet, it's more possible than ever!!!

But Thanks for the compliment, I can't take credit for the idea of it though, some one higher up than me thought of that concept first a long time ago!!!!

Weezie

#101181 September 20th, 2004 at 06:26 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
How IRONIC, this just came in my email from
one of the things I subscribe to,
*** plant a Row for the Hungry--PLEASE donate extra produce to your local
food bank. http://www.gardenwriters.org
I really love this idea......

Weezie

#101182 September 23rd, 2004 at 06:12 AM
Wild Woman
Wild Woman
I worked at the nursing home in our little town for years and my favorite time was when crops would come in. I would get people to bring their corn & beans in and let the seniors husk/work them. You cannot BELIEVE the memories and joy that would flood these people. We always got to keep a good mess for supper that night. I think sometimes we forget that they are still PEOPLE and still enjoy the same things we do and haven't been given the opportunity to continue to do them. We started a small "cooking" session for the women...you can only imagine the FUN these little ladies had beating cake batter...again...for the first time in a LONG time! Such simple things that bring such joy! flw

Link Copied to Clipboard