This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10101 June 24th, 2003 at 03:00 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I am new to this forum.

I need some help with Astilbe. Should I trimback the flowers when they start to fade and will that promote new growth and flowers?

Slowly trying to get into gardening as a hobby. I am retired and recently widowed so this is one of my outlets now. The other is racing nascar online and attending Nascar races. Some of us old Rednecks like beauty to go with our "Thunder" on the track.

Thanks
Bill wink

#10102 June 24th, 2003 at 09:55 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
bcregger,
Welcome to the Gardener's Forum, and extend my heartfelt wishes that gardening become a passion for you that your wife would have loved to see you enjoy!!!!!!
I am not sure of another type of hobby you could have found that will guarentee you wonderful friends, conversation and helpfull information..........And a way to pass the time of day, so fast you won't believe it.
And information is the key to your gardening.
Do you like to read? Find some good gardening books, magazines, sites on the internet...... Write a list of your wish list flowers and work on those...
Find some "garden ornaments" that you like and have some fun with those.
I could give you a hundred ideas!!!
Point us in your directions........
Everyone here will be happy to get you into the hobby of gardening.!!!

Weezie

P.S. My mom moved into the house next door to me and my dad past away 2 years ago and she is missing my father but is also having the time of her life now gardening, and picking flowers and having a good time with the dirt. We grow veggies and flowers and donate veggies to the meals on wheels and to the volunteers.
P.S.S. They have some good nascar stuff on the QVC shopping channel too!!! (or is it HSN, my minds' gone, but I'm pretty sure it's the QVC.)
wink

#10103 June 24th, 2003 at 09:59 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Speaking of Astilbe,

As far as I know, they don't rebloom after deadheading!!!

Most (but not all) are one time bloomers!!!

Does that help??

Weezie wink smile

#10104 June 24th, 2003 at 11:13 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thank you for the reply. The plant is still pretty with no flowers. I also like the idea it will be back next year. I do like to read and am going to get more info as I go.

I do have 3 Tomatoe plants and plan to make a raised bed garden when I get my landscaping finished, is it ever finished.

Thanks
Bill

#10105 June 24th, 2003 at 11:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
BC,
I'll call you that so I don't get our other Bill (the headhoncho)confused with him.
My mom and I have 5 raised beds. And this year we put in only 6 varieties....but the kicker is we had over 100 tomato volunteers.
I've been planting and giving away tomato plants like you wouldn't believe.
I'm going to try some white and purple ones next year, I am really looking forward to seeing those!!!

How many other plants do you have right now?
(flowers that is)
Any other veggies?
What variety did you grow?

NO to your answer, is it ever finished, cause you always find another little project to do!!! But that's the fun of it!!!!!!!

Keep us posted!!!! wink
Weezie

#10106 June 24th, 2003 at 01:43 PM
U
U
Hey, bcregger.
My astilbes are like Weezies. One timers.
Welcome to the board.

I spent a lot of time in Virginia. Lived in Fairfax County between Alexandria and Springfield. During my slow times at my regular job, a musician, I worked for Bob Banks Construction there in Springfield. I'm sure he's passed on by now, this was back in the mid 1970s.
I liked it there, but I'm sure it's changed a lot since.

Again, welcome.

#10107 June 24th, 2003 at 06:40 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Just wanted to say hi....and welcome BCBill.....glad you found our site. I know you will find lots of helpful information, not to mention....lots of great people here. Once again.....

[img]http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/bae96e2d/bc/Mail+Attachments/Welcome.gif?bcd.Q..ALB6dWzHn[/img]

Barb
barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#10108 June 24th, 2003 at 06:44 PM
Forum Hostess
Forum Hostess
Astible is a shade garden favorite prized for both foliage and flowers. It grows well in dappled shade but will tolerate deep shade or sun. The plants perform well under deep-rooted trees where the colors are intensified by the shade. The lustrous, finely divided leaves have a fernlike appearance. Mounds of green-to-bronze foliage grow to 12 to 18 inches tall. The feathery plumes appear in mid-summer atop 2-3 foot stalks, and the blooms last for several weeks.

Astilbes can be used in flower borders, massed as a ground cover, or planted with spring bulbs to hide their fading foliage. Clumps of astilbe look good in a woodland border. They make excellent cut flowers and can be dried for winter arrangements.

Astilbes does well in zones 4-9. Prepare the soil by enriching it with organic matter. If the soil is moist and rich in phosphorous you'll have tough, brilliantly colored, and pest-free plants. Set plants 15 to 18 inches apart. You'll need to water frequently if the soil is light and sandy. Use a high-phosphorus fertilizer in the spring. plants multiply rapidly, and produce fewer flowers as they become overcrowded. Clumps should be divided in the spring or fall after two or three years of flowering. When dividing clumps, it's best to work more organic material into the soil.

Good luck
Barb
barbsblooms@shaw.ca

#10109 June 27th, 2003 at 06:21 AM
K
K
bcregger, I'm not familiar with Astilbe (must do research), but wanted to be sure and welcome you! I'm pretty new here myself, and this seems like a migthy nice place. smile

Katey

#10110 June 27th, 2003 at 06:28 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for all the replys. I have a few other places in my yard that are in the shade most of the day.

This plant is perfect for my needs.

smile I have more questions coming. I am doing this slowly so I don't get a hodge-podge of the wrong plants.

#10111 June 27th, 2003 at 08:38 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
BCBill,

Saturday on QVC
There's a special on NASCAR collectables/
It's on several times a day..
<Midnight, etc. check for times at least 4 or 5 times that day...>
FYI

Weezie

Link Copied to Clipboard