This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10089 December 1st, 2003 at 09:34 AM
OP Offline
My neighbor and I are feeding the squirrels this year. My neighbors leaves out bags of peanuts and I give them hazelnuts and walnuts from a local nut farm. You'd think that with all this food that they would leave my bird feeder alone but NO, here are soem pics I took today to show some of the positions they had to get into to get the birdfeeder. Made quite a mess but the birds cleaned up what was thrown to the ground. Had a blast watching them do this. Have to get more seed tommorrow. http://community.webshots.com/user/largelady

#10090 December 1st, 2003 at 03:57 PM
Oh, Large, your photos made me laugh out loud! What cuties....and acrobats. They're ingenious!
I've been buying "Critter Food" (all sorts of nuts and goodies) at the pet store for the squirrels, here, also in self-defense. The little guys had been running off with my marble top-dressing from my pots on the patio.
After Thanksgiving, I took the turkey carcass up on our hill & left it for the resident coyote who trots through the upper-yard every day. Three hours later, it was gone without a trace. I could almost hear him patting his tummy....

#10091 December 2nd, 2003 at 11:59 AM
OP Offline
LoL, Jillie. We certainly are suckers for our furried friends, aren't we. My son made up a a jar for the squirrels tonite, he filled it with nuts and then put a sign on it that says, "Please take one" can you imagine? The thing that is so funny is that he is 16!

#10092 December 2nd, 2003 at 02:17 PM
LARGE,JILLIE,
Better hide your squrille on here we have a squrille killer on here.. wink

#10093 December 2nd, 2003 at 02:40 PM
OOPS NOT sure what happen to the post above..
It didn't post all i said..

LARGE,JILLIE,
Better hide your squirrels on here we have a squirrel killer in here.. wink Last count he had shot about 40 something. wink Hes busy right now building.. Duh They might have a few more days to live..I love watching the squirrels to there so funny..We don't have trees in our yard so i have one that comes on my back patio to get somes nuts..I think he does this to get my jack russel/rat terria all excited.. Cause he goes nuts wanting to get out chase the squirrel. Run Squirrel Run..lol
Keep feeding the squirrels girls.. thumbup I hope we will have more soon so i can feed too.

#10094 December 2nd, 2003 at 03:18 PM
Large, I love your son's sense of humor. He sounds like a sweet kid. He could offer toothpicks and a towelette......... laugh

TxWild! shk
I'm sure we'd have squirrel-shooters in my neck of the woods if we were more rural and the little guys got out of hand. I'm grateful that I only lose a few marbles (bwahh, ha, ha) & they're more of an amusement than an object of damage-control. I understand both sides of the issue, but, I'm glad my little guys are "citified" & not destroyers. Safe-haven, here.... wink

#10095 December 3rd, 2003 at 01:32 AM
Heaven's Gardener
Heaven's Gardener
Years ago I took a trip with a friend to see her family in Michigan. The town they lived in was called Romeo (now renamed Roy) about 60 miles north of Detroit. It was a well known for apple orchards.

She took me to see her older brother, his wife and kids. Seems he was a squirrel killer too! He took us out to see their back yard (about a good arce of land that edged a forest). All of a sudden he was running all over the place tossing dead squirrel bodies over his back fence. He had forgotten to clean them up before we arrived. Being the L.A. city gal that I am, I was horrified. But, I started to laugh and just couldn't stop. He look so funny do that squirrel toss dance! laugh laugh laugh

jc2weho luv

#10096 December 3rd, 2003 at 03:02 AM
JC2,
Thats to funny... laugh

#10097 December 3rd, 2003 at 03:34 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, Floweraddict is an admitted squirrel killer!
40 something was the last count!!

I remember living in the country and you'd see them and on a few occasions the parents would make comments about them, because they ate the
birdseed, but never remember it being a major~major problem.....
I moved out to a home that was smack dab in the
middle of a ba~zillion oak trees.......
Every color of squirrel you could imagine.
In the begining I thought how cute!!!
But I couldn't feed the birds because one days' time the feeder would be cleaned!!!
If I didn't put it out fast enough, it was
used as a play around *beat the living sh*t out of it toy*, and if I found a new feeder that the
seed didn't come out as fast as they liked, they'd chew holes in the openings to open it for faster eating purposes!!! Like rats chew through stuff, is what it reminded me like......

So, I do enjoy those wonderful pictures, LLady!!
they are quite the little acrobats!!!!
And if you had a good time watching them, smile
and feeding them, cool then that's all that counts!!!! muggs

Weezie

#10098 December 3rd, 2003 at 04:45 AM
I've always lived in the country .. Still do ..City life not for me.. wink I love nature to much for the city lights and noise..
When my dad killed squirrels my granny always fry them up made home made biscuits and gravy..Boy ,Was that ever good eating..
We don't have many around our house because when they cleared the land to build my house they got rid all the trees.. frown But i have notice a few from across the road are coming over..So as my trees get bigger hoping they come and stay ..
Weezie, You sure Floweraddict still in SC? Dang maybe hes in Texas now killing all the squirrels here..Since i don't see to many..lol Poor Squirrels.. frown

#10099 December 3rd, 2003 at 10:03 AM
OP Offline
Thanks all for all the neat comments, my Mom is a squirrel killer too. She calls them "tree Rats". When we first moved here in 1985, there were no squirrels, now we have about ten. By the way, all the nuts in the jar were gone by this afternoon as well as the sign. Guess they took it to decorate the nest.

Link Copied to Clipboard