This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#100472 July 31st, 2003 at 05:46 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
Greetings from the Southwest corner of Oregon (ory gun). Grew up in North Dakota, but have lived here for about 17 years. Nice bunch of folks here, pleasure to meet you all. smile

#100473 July 31st, 2003 at 06:23 PM
F
F
Welcome to the forum and glad u could join us!

One question... how much snow do u get in oregon? Seems like it rains there a lot!

#100474 July 31st, 2003 at 06:52 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Welcome aboard Lefse,
Oregon's a wonderful state, I just got email from two very nice people there today, One, my brother and two, my sister~in~law!!!
Wrote them both and both wrote back. Asked them if they'd ever been to the Oregon gardens before. Said no, but will make a pilgramage there when your hot weather cools down a bit and take pictures for me. Awesome place from the pictures from the HGTV show I saw. They live in Eugene, are you close?
We also have another gardener on this forum from there, Diagones, from Seaside, Oregon.
(I think there was one more gardener, but I'm in brain denial right now about who it was..... Darn brain!!)
Welcome aboard!! Glad to have you!!! Stick around, great bunch we have here!!
Weezie wink

#100475 July 31st, 2003 at 08:38 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
I live about 3 hours from Eugene, my daughter lives about 45 minutes from Eugene and is into gardening also. We get snow, but not much at this altitude. We are at about 1100 feet. The mountains around us get snow and we go up to play in the winter. Once in a while we get some down here on the valley floor, but it only lasts a few days. zone 8, dry in the summer, rainy in the winter.

#100476 August 1st, 2003 at 03:16 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Are you close to Diagones, in Seaside???
Weezie

Do you ski?

Somebody out there in Oregon?????????? Oh, there goes the brain again......... can't remember where, Has grown the Gunnera plant and it was on a website I visited, The plant is freakin' HUGE!!!!!!!!! I believe they call it the dinosaur plant.
But you can grow that in your zone!!
Lucky!!

Weezie

#100477 August 1st, 2003 at 05:27 AM
I
I
welcome!!! this is a really nice site lot of nice folks, and a lot of imformation. i think you will like it here, i know i do.

#100478 August 1st, 2003 at 08:34 AM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
I cross country ski, but not downhill. Wrecked my knees long ago playing 2 on 2 volleyball and skiing. Hey, that "dinosaur plant", does it have HUGE leaves? Looks like something from Jurassic Park? confused

#100479 August 1st, 2003 at 09:07 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
YES, it's HUGE, can grow 10ft I guess, in the proper growing conditions....As I understand it, it's genentics or what ever you wanna call it have been found in fossiles from the dinosaur age!!!!
Many people and places have this plant in your state??????
Have you seen one???
Weezie

#100480 August 1st, 2003 at 09:10 AM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
I think they are not for zone 8, but I believe I saw one at a nursery up by Eugene. Going back there this weekend. I'll look at it for the name again. Needs more water than in a standard garden setting I think. Kind of the pond or wet type setting?

#100481 August 1st, 2003 at 10:45 AM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Yes, bog gardening type!!
They can be fussy, but as I hear
people who become obsessed with them,
well worth the obsession!!!!!
Weezie
Yes, someone in Eugene has one, I've seen a picture of it, but I went looking for it and couldn't find it!!
I'll try to see if I can.......???????

#100482 August 1st, 2003 at 01:43 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
I'll take some pictures if we get to that nursery. What part of NY are you in? Have a brother up by Lake Placid. Not a gardener, but a carpenter. :rolleyes: I have a couple dinosaur tracks I got when I worked in the coal mines in Utah years ago. Would go good with that plant. laugh

#100483 August 1st, 2003 at 02:13 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
I am in what they call W.N.Y.
Western New York.
50 miles South of Buffalo and
90 minutes North of the Pa. border.
zone 5 (ish) I push the envelope
on a plant or two.
I believe that Lake Placid would be considered Upstate, N.Y.??????
That's way over on the East coast side going up towards the Canandian border.............
Oh, that plant would go really well with dinosaur tracks.... It is just massive in size. You really have to have it in it's own space. 10 or 12 ft wide of a span alone.

Maybe Bill can help us out with some pictures of one.....................??

They are an awesome plant.
It's in the Rhubarb family I guess......
Weezie

#100484 August 1st, 2003 at 08:56 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
Rhubarb... really. Love Rhubarb. Add a few Strawberries... Yes he is "Upstate" NY. Cold there in the winter. I live on the "river flats" in the valley here. Makes it frost here before the rest of the valley. Also makes the ground water table high enough to help with some plants tap roots.
Well, back after the weekend!

#100485 August 2nd, 2003 at 10:43 AM
D
D
Did someone call? Here I am Weezie, was a bit busy with giving hubby his goin away party. Three more days till he leaves :rolleyes: I'm about three hours from Eugene and I live on the coast so my climate is quite different, but I don't seem to have any problems growing anything, no matter what "zone" it's marked for. We don't get a lot of snow down here at the beach, but it has happend. Usually we don't even freeze. Temps even in the winter time stay around the mid 40's during the day and rarely go below 32 at nite. But it rains here A LOT. Infact, I have grown webs between my fingers and toes (which helps me dig in the dirt better too, no need for shovels now)The other nasty part of winter is the storms up here. Since Seaside is in a large cove, there's virtually no protection from the wind off the ocean and during high tide I have had to take a boat to the main road because it fills the river infront of our house and the swamp behind us. But it's so lush and green up here that I'd never move anywhere else. smile smile smile Howdy Lefse! Greetings from the tippy top of Oregon wink

#100486 August 2nd, 2003 at 07:28 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi Diagones,
I'm from Cave Junction. Between Grants Pass and the coast. Right now I'm at my daughter's in Cottage Grove buying plants up at Alvadore. Pleasure is all mine. I bought one of those "Dinosaur Food" plants (gallon size) to go with my dino footprint fossils. Getting the driveway island and front yard worked out slowly.
wink

#100487 August 2nd, 2003 at 08:45 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Lefse,
Did you get a Gunnera??????????????
Make sure you have plenty of room.

I would love to see pictures of it!!!

Weezie wink

#100488 August 2nd, 2003 at 09:52 PM
Lefse Offline OP
OP Offline
Bought a Gunnera with what I believe is four crowns. Going to have to change the pond plans to a much larger size. :rolleyes: I have an old 27 foot above ground pool where my ducks live. About 1/3 of it is pond. I'll start them there and split them later. May make a Jurasic park look alike. smile Hey, $10, whats to lose?

#100489 August 2nd, 2003 at 10:30 PM
D
D
I wonder if Gunnera would do well at the edge of my swamp. I cleared out a bunch of willow trees frown frown (they drive me nuts)and I'd like to put something there that will give the swamp line a new look. I've been cultivating salmon berries (10 lb harvest this year smile )but I want to do something on the opposite corner...let me know how it grows for you Lefse

#100490 August 8th, 2003 at 07:43 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
Hmpff!!!

I get to yakking on all the posts, NOOOOO!!!!!!
But I couldn't remember where I was when I was talking about the Gunnera, Geesh, I'm gonna start a post, "Hey, Weez, Where'd you go"? Duh!!! I can't believe it!!

DIAGONES,
Did you get the gunnera???

Lefse, You wrote you got one, did you plant it and I would love to see the pictures of it as it grows.....That would be an awesome site to see!!! The one picture I saw the plant was as high as a one story home......
Please, make sure you do some good reading up on it.... I've read alot of stories on them.

wink wink :rolleyes: cool wink
Weezie

#100491 August 10th, 2003 at 08:51 AM
D
D
Weezie,
I have not gotten the Gunnera yet, still debating and things have been so crazy around here that I haven't even been able to enjoy the sight of my red blaze climbing rose that suddenly burst into a wall of flowers... :rolleyes: but I think things are settling down a bit. I need to do some local research on Gunnera before I go for it, although my microclimate (I think) would be fitting for it.

Link Copied to Clipboard