This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Active Threads · Active Posts · Unanswered Today · Since Yesterday · This Week
Gardening in 2007 Jump to new posts
The Forum Has Moved... afgreyparrot March 24th, 2007 at 12:58 PM
The forum has moved! grinnnn

Here is the link to the new Garden Helper Forum...

http://www.agardenersforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
0 215 Read More
1st butterfly obywan59 March 22nd, 2007 at 08:19 PM
I saw my first butterfly of the year today. I'm not sure what it was, but it appeared to be black with a white edge on the wings. It wasn't real close and I didn't get a chance to try to look it up either.
0 197 Read More
SPICES, VEGETABLES, PEPPERS: seeds available to trade. pati_caldeira March 22nd, 2007 at 06:36 PM
I prepared another list of trade and wish seeds. Please see below.

Patricia Caldeira de Almeida.
São Roque / Brazil.

1) SEEDS I HAVE AVAILABLE:

ORNAMENTAL:
Grama São Carlos (Grass) – green, resistant, large leaves

VEGETABLES:
Cabbage (green round type)
Florida straight mostarda (mustard)
Pepino conserva Híbrido pioneiro (cucumber)
Pepino Conserva Wisconsin Smr 18 (cucumber)
Pumpkin menina rajada (for candies)
Red Cabbage
Tomatoe estaca special for salads
Tomatoe Greeen Zebra
Tomatoe Italian for sauces
Tomatoe rasteiro rio grande

FRUITS:
Round large Watermellon
Watermellon Fairfax

SPICES:
Sweet pepper cambucí
Salvia (sage without flowers, only small green leaves for spices)

2) SEEDS I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE IN RETURN:

tree fern (cyatheales)
taxus (european yew)
umbrella pine (koyamaki - sciadopitys)
dacrydium cupressinum (rimu)
cedar (cedrus)
abies - fir
douglas fir
white pine or soft pine
spruce
larch (larix decidua)
taxodium (bald cypress)

Any other type of deciduous tree, shrub, vine, climber or flower.
0 160 Read More
Saving plants after fire Reedo_1071 March 21st, 2007 at 05:45 PM
My neighbors house recently caught fire. She had several house palnt which were obviously subjected to smoke and the some cold over night until we could rescue them. She has what she calls a grapefruit tree (approx. 4 feet tall). At first it appeared ok but now a week later the leaves are all curling. Any suggestions??
0 163 Read More
My new list of seeds available to trade: FLOWERS!! pati_caldeira March 21st, 2007 at 05:14 PM
Hello, group!!

Today we are starting autunm here in Brazil and I am very pleased to tell you that I already have that wonderfull autunm color in the deciduous leaves of plants which seeds I received from you guys. Thanks so much!!! I will have a wonderful autunm garden this year!!!

I updated my list: whish and trade. I hope someone will be interested in the seeds I have and will also be able to send me the seeds I whish in return.

Patricia Caldeira de Almeida.
São Roque / Brazil

1) TRADE LIST:

Ageratum Houstonianum (flossflower, bluemink)
Alyssum Saxatile Golden Yellow
Aster Single China Mixed
Calliopsis tall mixed
Canterbury Bells Double Mixed
Carnation Chabaud Double Mixed
Clarkia Doubled Flowered Mixed
Gailardia (blanket flower)
Godetia Dwarf Single Mixture (Godetia Amoena)
Hudbeckia Hirta Gloriosa Daisies Mixed (Rudbeckia)
Linaria Maroccana mixed (toad flax)
Nemesia Strumosa Triumph Mixed
Nigela sortida (live in a mist double mixed)
Phacelia Tanacetifolia (blue)
Pontetilla Miss Willmott Nepal Cinquefoil (Potentilha Nepalensis)
Portulaca mixed
Rock Cress Mixed (Aubretia Deltoides Veriada)
Sunflower (night sun)
Tagete tiger eyes dwarf

2) WISH LIST:

Abeto
Amelanchier (serviceberry, Saskatoon berry)
Arctostaphylon uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)
Aristolochia durior (dutch man"s pipe / pipevine)
Bignonia capreolata
Birch
Boston Ivy (Virginia creeper)
Campsis radicans (flava, judy, tagliabuara) guilfoylei
Clematis (blue rock, bellrue, fusca, hairy, western white)
Climbing hydrangea
Cornus sericea ssp. Stolonifera (red-osier dogwood)
English Ivy
Fir
Five leaf akebia
Japanese hydrangea vine
Japanese wisteria (floribunda)
Limnaea borealis (twinflower)
Lonicera hispidula (purple honeysuckle / hairy honeysuckle)
Mahonia [berberis] nervosa (cascade oregon grape)
Physocarpus capitatus (pacific ninebark)
Physocarpus malvaceus (mallow ninebark)
Rhododendron albiflorum (cascade azalea, white flowered rhododendron)
Rhus Glabra (smooth sumac)
Rhus Trilobata (Theree leaf sumac, skunk bush)
Schisandra chinensis (magnolia vine)
Sitka Mountain Ash
Sorbus Scopulina (dwarf montain ash)
Sorbus Sitchensis
Spirea Betulifolia var.lucida (birch leaf, shiny leaf spirea)
Viburnum Opulu var americanum (American cranberry bush – snowball)
Vitis Californica – western wild grape
0 204 Read More
New MOON! Now is a great time. GreenPhill March 20th, 2007 at 02:32 AM
Last night was the new moon. I got all my seedlings planted on St. Patty's day and yesterday. New moon gravity is supposed to have a balanced pull on both leaf and root growth. Remember that plants and groundwater ebb and swell like the ocean. I don't think moon planting is bologna and I am starting to pay attention to it whereas I didn't before.
If you plan on planting seeds, now would be the time, although yesterday was supposedly the best.
(Full moons I have read are best for root growth.)
Oh also, in biology class we grew plants and seedlings in lightless places for short periods to see if they would right themselves when turned on their sides. The plants did add more cells to the opposing side causing upward curvature and the determination was gravity.
So: moon affects gravity & gravity affects growth
There's more to it, but it's worth it to heed the old sage advice if you ask me.
0 167 Read More
Members to watch Anonymous March 20th, 2007 at 02:00 AM
We have had several unsolicited pm's by a "newer" member requesting trades. this member represented that they were just starting out and needed "help". it has come to our attention that the member was in fact an established trader on SEVERAL other forums, and was asking for seeds here to trade on other sites.

that member has had their pm privileges taken away and their name will be posted here if they persist.

if anyone feels taken advantage of, or receives unsolicited trade requests via pm, please notify an administrator immediately.
0 189 Read More
Oregano Cuttings tkhooper March 19th, 2007 at 05:31 PM
Well I tried to get some to root by putting them in water. It didn't work they all died. I guess I'll just keep pruning them until I can plant them outside. I know they will make little roots once they are outside and then I can separate them into their own little bunches and bring a mid-sized one inside.
0 166 Read More
Forum Life 2007 Jump to new posts
scrap booking again ladystressout March 19th, 2007 at 02:02 PM
Hello everybody from Ohio!! got another quesion?I seen a layout wish was different to me it had the pictures going diagonally now the question how do you do it?The first one is traingle shape then goes across diagonally I thought this was so cute but had no directions on how to cut the pictures for it so can anyone help me out here? Rita
0 160 Read More
Flowerpot peanut March 17th, 2007 at 07:56 PM
I saw a product that really interested me.

( a decorative cover for a flower pot )

It looks like a great idea, but I would like to know if someone else has tried one before I purchased one. I guess at only $5.00 each, it's not too expensive to take a chance on, but if someone already has one it would help. Thanks a lot!

-------------------------------------------------
sorry...no advertising links allowed. ~Cindy
-------------------------------------------------
0 152 Read More
Monarda 'Fantasy' alankhart March 16th, 2007 at 08:32 PM
Anyone grow it? I just received one I had ordered from Digging Dog Nursery...not real happy with what I got...kinda puny, but I'll see what happens when I plant it. Does it spread like other Monardas?
0 153 Read More
Wanted: Columbines, Pansy, Potentilla, clematis, poppys laughingfalls1 March 15th, 2007 at 01:40 AM
Any one out there have the following please PM me or E-mail me thank you.
0 147 Read More
Well I looked outside... Lady Blackchurch March 13th, 2007 at 02:10 PM
So the first thing I noticed when returning to the site is that there are 6 days 17 hours and 9 minutes before spring... Thanks for the countdowns, I love the countdowns, never get rid of them! wavey

Rebecca flw flw
0 145 Read More
Baby hedge lunafairy March 11th, 2007 at 10:32 PM
I thought one of my deciduous hedges had died because the others like it have leaves and it doesn't. I was going to dig it up, but noticed it had put a limb in the ground and from there, new lib have come up. There are 5 shoots about 6-7 inches tall. What do I do with the parent plant? Do I cut back all the branches but the parent so that the new shoots have room to grow? Any advice would be appreciated.
0 138 Read More
upside down gardens texashippie March 11th, 2007 at 01:52 AM
What else besides tomatoes and strawberries can be grown in the upside down containers?
0 155 Read More
plant& cutting exchange njoynit March 10th, 2007 at 03:20 PM
I'm hosting a plant/cutting exchange in the seed forum.A great way to thin some of your plants and try some great ones you don't have.We are trying to include EVERYone.Canada/Europe.Take a moment and check out the details.

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/8/1031.html?#000009 gab
0 180 Read More
Dahlia Happy Single Party ND farm girl March 9th, 2007 at 01:06 AM
White Flower Farm has this and shows it in a combination with a few others that I plan to put along my garage. Anyone have seeds for this Dahlia or is it maybe too new to have seeds for sale somewhere? Can't find seeds for it.
0 129 Read More
mac 2 -------------read from willy willy46 March 7th, 2007 at 07:48 PM
hi your stamps came today.did not under stand your hand writing on last name,can type it out send me please.had problem over a week to even get on this web site.send pvt pm message send them out ibn moring to you both offers. thanks willy46
0 137 Read More
Triops... Hadeda March 3rd, 2007 at 05:35 PM
Anyone tried them?
http://www.triops.com/
0 130 Read More
One last question... LandOfOz February 23rd, 2007 at 11:28 PM
I just bought one of those soil testers at walmart and was wondering when I should use it. My veggie garden currently has a green manure crop growing in it -- will this screw-up the test?
0 133 Read More
My latest publicaton at Defenestration ; . . Carly February 22nd, 2007 at 11:36 AM
0 157 Read More
What a difference tkhooper February 17th, 2007 at 05:40 PM
I left one sage plant outside when I brought the rest in and gave them away. The one outside is still as small as it was when I planted it. But the inside ones are nice 8 inch plants with lots of branches.

I'll definitely bring these in during the winter as long as I have space. The difference is amazing.
0 130 Read More
brighton strawberries arkiejohn February 17th, 2007 at 02:21 PM
I'm looking for brighton strawberry plants, please help
0 138 Read More
kaffir lime art February 12th, 2007 at 11:58 PM
i have a seedling that came up from nowhere,so i have
no idea of what it is.it bore fruit about the second or third year in a pot.i searched the internet and found a matching foto of the fruit.it looks exactly like the kaffir lime.but it does not have the double leaf.it tastes like a lemon with a slightly discernable sweet taste.the tree is about two and a half feet tall and has about 17 limes.can it be a kaffir lime?
0 132 Read More
Long White Cucumber... nmlAlba-dC15 February 12th, 2007 at 09:55 AM
Hi everyone..

wonder if anyone is familiar with this funny looking cucumber...emm n i wonder if it is a genetically modified plant..??

n i wonder if anyone can spare me some seeds.. i have some red okra seeds to exchange..not many tho... there r still 2 or 3 fruits maturing on da one plant i have still standing...come to think of it...itz funny that i almost always have only one plant of this n one plant of that surviving in my garden!!?

thanx millions...n have a nice day!
0 133 Read More
Page 1 of 35 1 2 3 34 35