This set of forums is an archive of our old CGI-Based forum platform (UBB.Classic) that was never imported to our current forum (UBB.threads); as such, no new postings or registrations are allowed here.

Please instead direct all questions and postings to the our current forum here.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#94634 March 15th, 2007 at 05:48 PM
OP Offline
What's the best way to mail bare roots? I had a trade with a person who mailed them to me (from a long distance)in a wet paper towel. Needless to say, the paper towel was no longer wet once I got it nor was the bare root.

I have never mailed any bare roots to anyone and this was my first time recieving any in the mail. How is this normally done? If I recieve a dead, dried out roots after I have mailed out viable seeds, how should this be handled?

I'm really disappointed. I wanted this plant sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
badly, but I want to be fair.

#94635 March 15th, 2007 at 06:27 PM
I use wet paper towels(And does depend on the brands also....Bounty& Brawny really do do great)I also enclose in newspaper or plastic or even both..I also like the press& seal wrap.It helps hold the moisture well.Also depends where shipped too and temps.

#94636 March 15th, 2007 at 06:32 PM
OP Offline
Thanks, Njoynit!

#94637 March 15th, 2007 at 08:52 PM
Shredded newspaper and a plastic bag, is the way my bare roots have come it.

I have ordered several and they have always been ok when i planted them.

#94638 March 15th, 2007 at 09:14 PM
I've recently bought LOADS of bare root from eBay UK (new garden).

The best stuff arrives wrapped in wet newspaper or kitchen paper) but then slid into a cardboard toilet roll tube or if they are bigger in a kitchen roll tube. Then in a plastic Polythene bag and then wrapped for shipping. Here we deal with 300 miles not 3,000 like in the US, but our postal service is now so bad it can take a week to arrive. So far so good. sca

#94639 March 15th, 2007 at 10:18 PM
OP Offline
Thanks Web and Ami

#94640 March 15th, 2007 at 10:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i use wet paper towels and then a piece of tin foil or plastic wrap wrapped around the wet paper towel.

and, like webwise said, something to protect the plant also. paper towel/toilet paper roll, piece of stiff cardboard, padded newspaper, etc.

#94641 March 16th, 2007 at 06:09 AM
Hi Mocha ...

m soo sorry that da fern has died... no problem ..i will resend to u... this is da first time i sent a fern...oops 2 different type of ferns actually...out this far...before this had been Hoya n Orchids... n these of course travel well n do not dry out s easily...

dont worry i will resend even if i have not received your package yet....

#94642 March 16th, 2007 at 02:38 PM
OP Offline
Thanks!

#94643 March 16th, 2007 at 06:48 PM
nml

Try putting paper towel ..wet wrapp it with plastic wrap or plastic baggie, and put a rubber band around the neck.. or a string.

It there is too much room in the bag or box it will toss to and fro......And loosen the root.
Fill the vacant part with news paper or any type of scrap paper.(Then she can read it).. Ha ha
joke.

If you have the bubble peanuts.. Ust that.
Did you ever get the seeds I sent to you on February 15?

barb

#94644 March 19th, 2007 at 05:15 AM
Woops dodge...

havent i already informed u n thanked u...??

oh wow sooo very bad of me!! sooooo sorry...yeap i did receive da seeds... TQ soo very much....

Mocha..i'll let u know when a second batch of da ferns r in da post...

#94645 March 22nd, 2007 at 08:00 PM
OP Offline
nmlAlba-dc15,

Don't worry about trying to send more ferns. I purchased 4 or 5 of them and will be planting as soon as I get them. I appreciate your effort. I am not giving up on the two you mailed to me just yet. Let me know when you get the BSP I mailed to you. I was going over our IM and noticed that you requested another type of seed as well. I will be putting those seeds in the mail in the next 7 days.

#94646 March 25th, 2007 at 07:10 AM
Hi Mocha...

i copied n pasted da post below...was posted in suzydaze's thread "looking for black plants.."

Hi Suzydaze....

i have purple sweet potato... dunno if this is da same s da black that u had... da shoots r dark colored... sent some cuttings to Texas once... a member of da forum..but havent seen her around for soo long... she received 'em o.k. ...n before we lost contact..said they were growing fine... if u r interested u can PMme your addy...

Hi Mocha...wrote u a PM just now...but failed to send...got da message that your box is full... i want to say that if da ferns fail to grow please let me know s i will resend unless da ones u bought r of da same kinds..would really love u to have my fern...think u'd really love it...very pretty...

BTW please u dont have to send me da Malva seeds..i already got some from another member of da forum... Woops almost forgot..i have just received your package yesterday...in fact have sown some of da seeds today!!

Suzydaze...sooo sorry for this hijacking... do send me your addy if u'd like my purple sweet potato...

Hope u'll b reading this... c u in da new forum...think i'll need to learn my way around in it....been very comfortable in this one....

#94647 March 25th, 2007 at 05:53 PM
Compost Queen!
Compost Queen!
We need all of you gardeners' to head on over to the NEW FORUM!!!

Click here to jump to new forum...
thumbup clp

Link Copied to Clipboard