A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Dewey124 weed control in asparagus patch w/o chemicals - September 30th, 2006 at 02:48 AM
Does anyone have any advice on how to control weeds in an asparagus patch without using chemicals. I have heard that using salt works. Any advice??
Posted By: weezie13 Re: weed control in asparagus patch w/o chemicals - October 1st, 2006 at 12:00 AM
NO SALT!!
That will kill everything...

What kind of weeds are there, do you know?

And do you have sometype of landscaping fabric available to you?

Are there rows of this asparagus, or just one row?

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the bed?

You can use newspapers down around the base of the plants too.
Posted By: johnCT Re: weed control in asparagus patch w/o chemicals - October 1st, 2006 at 01:39 AM
Mulch!
Posted By: Longy Re: weed control in asparagus patch w/o chemicals - October 1st, 2006 at 07:23 PM
The asparagus will die off soon. Bury them in manures and mulch. The weeds will die and the asparagus will come back stronger in spring/summer
Posted By: obywan59 Re: weed control in asparagus patch w/o chemicals - October 2nd, 2006 at 12:37 PM
I use leaves to mulch mine once I stop harvesting, but I get asparagus beetles and one of the recommended controls is to rake off the mulch and cultivate the soil, so I don't leave the mulch on continuously. Next year I'm thinking about using Weed-Ban. It's non-chemical--made of corn gluten, and it kills germinating weed seeds. It also acts as a nitrogen fertilizer.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]