A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Deborah L. Please Identify Butterfly - August 24th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
What is the name of a butterfly that has yellow/gold wings, a black bar at the bottom the of the wings, a bar of royal blue just above the black bar, and two "eyes" near/in the blue?
This butterfly is about 3 inches across.
The body part is large and thick, and striped with black.
I am super interested in finding out what she is.
I'm in southern California.
Thanks !
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 24th, 2006 at 10:40 PM
Deborah, from your description, it sounds like you spotted a female Eastern Tiger Swallowtail although they aren't common that far west.

[Linked Image]

There are so danged many to choose from, without a photo it would be almost impossible to make a positive ID.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 26th, 2006 at 06:35 PM
Thanks, Rosie.
This one is very close, but the one I saw has 2 "eyes" where the blue spots are on this one.
The "eyes" are in the larger blue spots toward the middle.
Maybe mine is a guy. laugh
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 26th, 2006 at 10:04 PM
Deborah, it may have been a male...you know they are always looking! laugh Hopefully, Thorny or Wrennie will see this post and come up with a better ID. I'm still learning all I can about butterflies and there are soooooooo many kinds, it is really difficult for my old brain. wink
Posted By: G~mom Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 26th, 2006 at 11:17 PM
Could it have been a Scarce Swallowtail?

[Linked Image]

They are not native to California,but could be a "transplant".

Hope this helps thumbup

G~Mom
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 26th, 2006 at 11:41 PM
Oh, that's a pretty one, G'mom but I think she said her's was yellow??? I'm still searching but my eyes are about burned out at this point. lol! I LOVE butterflies and looking at all the pretty pictures is a treat. wink
Posted By: G~mom Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 27th, 2006 at 12:01 AM
I love butterflies too thumbup I never get tired of looking at them grinnnn
Posted By: melcon6 Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 27th, 2006 at 12:08 AM
Try looking up Anise swallowtail which has the long tail or Indra swallowtail, which has a shorter tail. Both are seen west of the Rockies.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 27th, 2006 at 03:27 PM
Melcon, thanks !
She's a girl, Rosie, lol.
A female Anise swallowtail.
It's fun to know what she is.
She's here every day now.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 27th, 2006 at 10:26 PM
Mel, you did good! wink That's a gorgeous butterfly and maybe you'll be lucky, Deborah, and be grandma to a bunch little ones? Ya just never know!

This should help you know what to watch for now...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 28th, 2006 at 07:29 AM
Thanks, Rosie !
What's "instar"?
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 28th, 2006 at 09:05 AM
I guess it's the different stages they go through before becoming a beautiful butterfly. wink
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Please Identify Butterfly - August 28th, 2006 at 03:19 PM
That's what I thought.
Getting so lazy thought I'd ask here rather than Google it.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]