A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Zenith My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 11th, 2006 at 08:00 PM
This is my Melocactus oreas flowering smile picture's not to good though, each flower only seems to last a day, bit of the fruit on it to.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if I could grow new Melocactus oreas from the seeds if I save them?? Duh
Posted By: Tonya Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 11th, 2006 at 08:28 PM
Very pretty!! If you can spare a few seeds... thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 11th, 2006 at 10:54 PM
I believe that they need another cacti of the same in order for the seed to be viable, in other words they need to be pollinated by another cacti of the same kind in order to produce seeds that will grow???? I could be wrong, but I really think this is the case.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 12th, 2006 at 01:22 AM
You can always try! Some cacti are self-fertile, some aren't. If it set seed, go ahead and plant 'em and tell us what happens!
Posted By: Zenith Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 12th, 2006 at 05:58 AM
It started growing the fruit on it before it set flower so would that mean it's self-fertile Duh
Thanks for the comments smile
Posted By: Zenith Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 28th, 2006 at 02:35 PM
Just a update, not the best shot.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - October 28th, 2006 at 08:50 PM
Very pretty!!! Love the color- it just "pops"! Keep us posted as to the seeds and all....
Posted By: Zenith Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - December 16th, 2006 at 02:49 PM
I did have a long reply but double posted and used the report feature to ask for the last post to be deleted well both posts were deleted flw
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - December 17th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
I can't see the pics. Where are you finding them, Tonya?
Posted By: Zenith Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - December 17th, 2006 at 10:44 AM
The links must of died frown
I will have to see if I still have the images stored and will post them latter if I do.
Posted By: Zenith Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - December 17th, 2006 at 01:42 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: My Melocactus oreas (flowering) - December 18th, 2006 at 04:42 AM
Ahhh, lovely!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]