A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: patches1414 What's Blooming - May 26th, 2006 at 03:05 PM
Now that we finally have some sun and warmer temperatures here everything is popping out. My corner bed exploded with color last week-end and my Nearly Wild Rose, Columbine, Candytuff, Dianthus and Euonymus make a colorful display. I expect the Peonies to open in the next week or two with the Astilbe, Lilies and Shasta Daisies following right behind to add even more color. In the back of the bed (not visible from this angle) are several varieties of the smaller Hostas since that area is pretty much shaded by the tree after 11:00.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's Blooming - May 26th, 2006 at 03:10 PM
Very pretty and cheerful, Patti!
Also very pink, which I like very much! thumbup
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - May 26th, 2006 at 03:34 PM
Thanks Lynne, I guess I'm kinda partial to pink flowers too because it was my Mom's favorite color for flowers. flw She always liked the pink and white color combination in her pots and containers.
Posted By: jonni13 Re: What's Blooming - May 26th, 2006 at 03:57 PM
Realy pretty, Patti. Pink is not my favorite color but I can appreciate it. Thanks for sharing your 'corner' of the world.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: What's Blooming - May 26th, 2006 at 04:52 PM
I'd love to have a bed like that ! I like it !
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 01:24 AM
Look at all the bud you have on your peonies. I can't wait for the year mine are like that. Do yours produce seeds? Or do you deadhead or use the flowers for cut flower arrangements? I love peonies. I bet you can tell that right? I'm glad your garden is blooming so well.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 02:16 AM
What a great flower bed. It`s so pretty!! I love peonies. I have a deep pink one, but it only ever gets 1 or 2 flowers?? I thought it was going to get more this year as I could see tiny buds, but they haven`t developed. So I`ll be satisfied with my 2 flowers this year, too. lol I did move the plant so that might have something to do with it. Thanks for the pix. Sue
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 05:05 AM
Do yours produce seeds?
Oh geesh, I really don't know! Duh Being a teacher, I hate questions I can't answer, but I don't even have a clue on this one! Duh Sorry! frown

do you deadhead or use the flowers for cut flower arrangements?
I do deadhead the peonies when they start to get get tattered looking and are no longer attractive. I used to cut them and put them in flower arrangements, but I quit doing that two years ago. The paved area in the right of the picture is the driveway into the church and school parking lot so it gets a lot of car, bicycle, and foot traffic. Well, when I was out in the yard one day a car stopped and the driver asked what happened to the big pink flowers in that bed because she had brought two friends with her so they could see them. cool After that, I decided more people get to enjoy them if I just leave them there, so that's what I do! smile
Posted By: netwiz Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 05:48 AM
Your flowerbed looks wonderful! I'm still trying to decide what colors to use and pink is at the top of my list.

Joanne
Posted By: chenno Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 06:27 AM
So Pretty, looks like a great place to relax and enjoy the scenery:-)Love the colors!
Posted By: sad1199 Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 07:35 AM
I love your flowers. Very pretty and poetic with the bird bath.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - May 27th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
Joanne, if you're looking for pink flowers I've got a loooong list! laugh laugh laugh What zone are you in? Duh
Posted By: flower frenzy Re: What's Blooming - May 30th, 2006 at 11:12 PM
Is it true that when you first plant peonies it takes 3 years until you get flowers?????

I just bought 3 plants and all had buds. The 2 pink ones the buds died and the white one still has buds, which haven't opened yet.
Posted By: netwiz Re: What's Blooming - May 31st, 2006 at 01:45 AM
Hi Patches,

I'm in zone 6 and have a mix of full sun, partial shade and full shade. Hoping to find pinks for all three areas. Thanks!!

Joanne
Posted By: Stuspot Re: What's Blooming - June 1st, 2006 at 04:36 AM
What a pretty garden area, Patches. Very nice, good job with all the pinks. I'd love to see progression pics throughout the summer. flw
Posted By: Squirrel Re: What's Blooming - June 1st, 2006 at 05:07 AM
We were out taking close-up pictures of the flowers that are blooming. Roses, Peony (1), Purple Passion Vine. Clamatis (1) Poppies, a Sweet William that is so dark, it`s almost black, just beautiful! My hubby picked that one. Good taste. My Dead Nettle is blooming and my Coral Bells. Maroon leaf with white flowers. The contrast between the two looks nice. The Dead Nettle gets lavendar flowers. Must keep it cut back as it is a ground cover. My shasta daisies have buds and some of my coneflowers. Isn`t gardening wonderful smile smile I look forward each day to strolling around to see what`s new and I`m hardly ever disappointed. clp Wish I could share the pix with you all. Will have a dig. camera next year!! lala lol Sue
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 10:13 PM
Here is a picture of my Coreopis that is blooming.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: melcon6 Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 10:44 PM
Patches, those are GORGEOUS!!! thumbup flw
Posted By: tkhooper Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
Wonderful patches.

It's raining out right now but I agree walking outside to see what is blooming next is just one of the bennies of a garden. One of the sparkler ornamental onions bloomed a nice bright yellow and the one lone carnation bloomed too. It's a very vibrant salmon color. And the dusty millers are blooming. They take a long time to come to full bloom I was suprised. Then there are my Zinnias and delphia(sp). And my mini rose is just going crazy with blooms. And the double up impatiens has lots of blooms as well. And then there is the hosta. I'm loving my garden it is so cool.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 11:15 PM
That is such a nice, bright picture to wake up to, Patti - thanks for sharing it! I don't think I'm familiar with that one - do you know which one it is? The leaves resemble dianthus I think.

I'm trying to figure out the angle you took this picture in - are those windows, or glass on the ground?
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 11:23 PM
Thanks Mel! At least, I was finally able to post a picture of a flower that wasn't pink! laugh laugh

walking outside to see what is blooming next is just one of the bennies of a garden
Actually, I think that's one of the best rewards for all the hours and work you put into a garden. My miniature roses are pretty sad looking this year frown and I'm not sure they are going to make it. I can't imagine what the problem is because they have always been very nice before. I planted some inpatiens about four weeks ago and they are not really responding like they have in the past, frown but perhaps the strange weather we've had around here has something to do with it. Duh
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 12th, 2006 at 11:57 PM
I don't think I'm familiar with that one - do you know which one it is?
Geesh Lynne, if you are asking me for the genus, species and variety of Coreopis, I have no idea! Duh The mother of a friend of mine gave it to me and just told me it was a Coreopis.

The leaves resemble dianthus I think.
Actually, the leaves are larger than the leaves on a dianthus and spaced much further apart on the stem.

I'm trying to figure out the angle you took this picture in - are those windows, or glass on the ground?
The basements around here have little windows just below ground level to let the light in, so they have something called window wells. What you seeing here are plastic covers that go over the window well to help deflect water or rain from getting in the well and maybe leaking in the basement. frown
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's Blooming - June 13th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
Gotcha Patti - I was thinking that's what the windows were, but yours are sooooo clean!!! laugh thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What's Blooming - June 13th, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Patches gorgeous picture of the Coreopsis is probably Coreopsis grandiflora Sunfire or Sunny Day.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's Blooming - June 13th, 2006 at 01:00 AM
WOW, you're good Rosie!!!

Thanks for that! kissies
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 13th, 2006 at 06:01 AM
Thanks Rosie! kissies When I started my first perennial bed my neighbor's mom would bring me flowers from her gardens when she came down to visit. She usually only identified them by their common name so that's all knew.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 13th, 2006 at 07:49 PM
Well, I guess we're back to pink because here's a picture of my Dianthus! I love these luv because they have such a heavenly, sweet smell and the scent reminds me of Carnations.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's Blooming - June 14th, 2006 at 05:38 AM
i was given some dianthus this year. they do have an absolutely heavenly scent, don't they!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 14th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
Great flower bed patches. Nice to see a picture.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 14th, 2006 at 07:50 PM
i was given some dianthus this year. they do have an absolutely heavenly scent, don't they!
Yes, they do and I love it, thumbup

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: What's Blooming - June 14th, 2006 at 10:04 PM
Patti you have some of the prettiest flowers I have ever seen.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: What's Blooming - June 14th, 2006 at 10:35 PM
Very pretty indeed!!!

I don't think I've ever smelled my dianthus!
I'm going to have to get down there and give them a whiff! thumbup
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 15th, 2006 at 04:28 AM
OHHHHHHH.... patches one prettier then the next.

I'm glad you can post these. We're having so much rain in our area that our plants can hardly grow let alone flower, so seeing yours made my day, thanks again.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 15th, 2006 at 07:04 AM
Thanks Jimmy, Lynne and Rosepetal! Duh

We're having so much rain in our area that our plants can hardly grow let alone flower
I know what you mean about the rain. We had so much rain and cloudy, sunless days that I didn't know if I would even have a garden this year. ters
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 15th, 2006 at 02:38 PM
Don't forget to post a picture of your stargazer. That is one lily I just love. Can't wait to see yours. flw flw
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 15th, 2006 at 07:46 PM
Rosepetal, I've got other lilies ready to bloom so I was outside today looking for my Stargazer Lilies in the spot where I thought they were last year. Duh I'm not seeing anything coming up from the ground that looks like it could be them. frown I don't know if I've lost them from all the rain we had or if it's too early. Duh Of course, maybe I've got the wrong spot. Duh

Anyway, here a picture of one of my Stargazer Lilies from last year and I'm really hoping I will have some to post from this year.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 16th, 2006 at 03:21 AM
Hey patches, cool

Thanks a million, what a beauty, Flower Shop ones don't compare. MMMMMMM....I can smell it all the way up here. kissies

Thanks for posting this. flw
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 16th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
Rosepetal, don't you just love Duh

I try to plant flowers that have some scent to them because it's so enjoyable to go out in the yard take in all the wonderful scents. smile I guess that's why I love my lavender and honeysuckle so much. luv They have all these air freshners you can buy but none can compare frown to the natural aroma you get from flowers.
Posted By: connickfan Re: What's Blooming - June 16th, 2006 at 06:32 AM
What beautiful flowers, Patti! smile
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 16th, 2006 at 09:32 AM
I agree Patti.
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 18th, 2006 at 05:31 PM
Well, it seems a lot of my lilies have been are opening these past couple of days, but there's still no sign of my Stargazer. frown Here a picture of some of the lilies which just have opened since the other day. smile I hope they're still there tomorrow because we got some really strong winds and heavy, gutter-gushing rain tonight, sca so I'm sure all my flowers took a beating. frown

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Patty S Re: What's Blooming - June 18th, 2006 at 06:41 PM
Gorgeous, Patti! I only have 2 Lilies in bloom right now, in my Lily garden. (Everything is so slow this year, with the cooler weather we've had this summer.) frown
It looks like we have some of the same kinds...
[Linked Image]

Do you know what their names are?

[Linked Image]

(BTW, I always remove the pollen-laden stamins, so the blossoms last longer. I see that you don't do that.)
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 18th, 2006 at 07:13 PM
Patty, I don't think your yellow one is the same as mine because yours is huge and it seems to be on a shorter stem. What a stunning lily! Duh

I always remove the pollen-laden stamins, so the blossoms last longer. I see that you don't do that.
No, I don't! frown I also don't have a lily bed. I have lilies planted in all my beds and never think to do it. frown
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What's Blooming - June 19th, 2006 at 01:03 AM
Patti, in regard to your Stargazer Lilies, has anyone ever mentioned their tendency to revert to plain ol' hot orange\red after a few years? I thought I was losing my mind the first year this happened to mine and I was not a happy camper. All of my other old Lilies have done the same thing so now I have lots of pretty lilies that all look the same. lol!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 19th, 2006 at 04:36 AM
NO, I've never heard heard of this! Duh I'll let you know what I find out!
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 19th, 2006 at 05:45 PM
Rosie, this is what I found out today about the Stargazer Lily. She said that they belong to the genus Lilium which are the true lily plants and Liliums don't change color! She also said they should bloom for me in July or August.

Well, this gives me some comfort knowing they will not turn out to be red or orange and also that maybe I haven't lost them. Duh
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What's Blooming - June 19th, 2006 at 11:44 PM
Thanks for the info, Patti. I wonder if cross pollination from all the bees could be the reason I no longer have white, yellow, etc??? ALL of them are now the same color. Too weird! lol!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: What's Blooming - June 20th, 2006 at 10:03 AM
Thanks Patti and Patty kissies kissies
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 22nd, 2006 at 09:39 PM
Boy, it's really been blistering hot here the last few days but it's good for my flowers! thumbup Everything is beginning to bloom and it's so nice to see all the flowers again. flw Of course, I think a lot of things are running behind schedule because of all the cloudy and cool weather we had this spring. frown

Here is a picture of part of the perennial bed I have planted along the fence.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JV Re: What's Blooming - June 22nd, 2006 at 09:57 PM
Very pretty flowers Patti thumbup
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What's Blooming - June 22nd, 2006 at 11:24 PM
Nice picture, Patti...your flowers sure look happy there. Everything here has been ahead of normal growing\blooming times due to the drought conditions during the fall and winter, I guess.

Found this yesterday when watering some containers. Could this be a "Toad Lily" in the pot with some Persian Shield cuttings? laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: honeybee50_1955 Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 12:26 AM
what pretty flowers i used to have a whole bed of daises outside my kitchen door where i used to live ..i sure miss seeing them...thanks for sharing.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 04:30 AM
Oh Rosie, that is so cute! Duh because I've heard of them but never seen one. I just saw one in my garden on Monday and I don't remember seeing any at all last year. Thanks for putting a smile on my face. kissies

Maybe you should post this in 'Mystery Plants'. laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 07:34 AM
Patti, he must be trying to put down roots because he is back in the pot today. What is so weird about it...that 12" pot is sitting on an 8" chunk of concrete and I can't find his ladder anywhere. laugh Hmmmm...you don't suppose he is a she and may be laying eggs?
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 09:14 AM
Geesh, that is strange. Duh I know they can hop but this one must be an olympic jumper! laugh laugh
Posted By: Squirrel Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 10:20 AM
Rosie, you had me so excited because I got 2 toad lillies this year and I can't wait to see them. As I was scrolling down I saw the purple flowers and said to myself,"Well, that can't be it." And lo and behold, I saw him/her. LOL laugh laugh laugh laugh I just had to sit here and look at the screen. Couldn't believe my eyes. Duh clp Actually, I think it is pretty cool. cool Sue
Posted By: Squirrel Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 10:25 AM
Thanks Everyone for the pix. I love lillies. And the Stargazer is my fav. I got one this year and am going to plant it in the ground and hope it comes back next year. I wish I had room for a whole bed. thumbup smile Sue
Posted By: dodge Re: What's Blooming - June 23rd, 2006 at 01:49 PM
Patches ,

I love your welcoming committee........Flowers.

Well done..

dodge parte
Posted By: patches1414 Re: What's Blooming - July 17th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
Here's some of the flowers blooming in one of my perennial beds, but I don't know how low long they are going to last with the temperatures we've been getting here this past week. We're under an excessive heat warning for the next 5 days and I'm afraid it's going to take a toll on a lot of my plants. sca

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Karrie Re: What's Blooming - July 17th, 2006 at 11:31 AM
Look at these lovelies -

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Forgot to post pics of these till Triss and I started talking bout orange flowers. I gotta figure out a way to winter these. Anyone have any info on that. Their tropical but I dont want to lose them. Can I just keep them in the garage, or do I need to let them have rest period?
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]