A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: roflol I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 15th, 2006 at 04:39 AM
And boy am I getting some funny looks (getting them from parking lots of stores I'm shopping at and the YMCAs I go to).

But am I taking them too early if they aren't dried and/or brown? They are nothing fancy, just some nice yellow ones that all the strip malls have planted around here, but all the pods are either blown and empty, or green. I have opened some of the green ones - some partially opened and some not open at all - and they all have shiny black seed inside.

Anybody know if it makes a difference in germination (after cold stratification) whether they were harvested from dried pod or green?

And are these swap-worthy, or no?

Thanks in advance for words of wisdom.

wink
Posted By: tkhooper Re: I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 15th, 2006 at 10:26 AM
I would try sprouting one to see if they are viable. Zinnia seeds look viable before they are so looks can be deceiving.
Posted By: roflol Re: I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 15th, 2006 at 10:46 AM
Okie doke - they need cold strat, so if they are good they'll have to wait until seed swap #2 if there is one. Thanks, Tammy!
Posted By: kennyso Re: I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 17th, 2006 at 12:33 AM
they do work fine! I colect my daylily seeds when the pods are still green and have started to crack at the top. If the seeds are black, they should be fine. when they're still green, not all the seeds have dveloped yet (hence those small black dots) but the good thing is, the plant has used most of its energy to make THESE seeds and their chance of sprouting is way higher.
Posted By: mrw Re: I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 26th, 2006 at 11:07 PM
I have quite a few of those black lily seeds too. How should I plant them, and when, start indoors, ? Thanks for any info.
Posted By: kennyso Re: I'm a daylily pod stalker! - October 27th, 2006 at 03:38 AM
I just sprinkle them in the ground in the fall right about now or winter sow them, I think they NEED the cold period but not too sure. Just direct some half and save a bit for other methods to try which works out best for you!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]