A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: MRS.D can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 1st, 2005 at 11:52 PM
Hi everyone..... grinnnn

I have 3 absolutely fabulous New Guinea Impatiens which i am going to try to 'over-winter' because they are so beautiful. I've cut them back, and put them in the green house (it is'nt heated although it is connected to the kitchen, so i open the door and it gets warm air in it).

My question is, does anyone know how to take cuttings from these, they are not th
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 1st, 2005 at 11:56 PM
they are not the patented ones, so i am allowed to do this apparently!!

wavey
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 2nd, 2005 at 12:00 AM
help
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 2nd, 2005 at 02:10 AM
rugby...

thanks very much for that.

i had actually seen that one on the net, but as a new gardener, i don't understand about mist beds or anything..that's why i asked if anyone knew how to take a cutting, and how to grow it...in simple terms!! lol

thank you very much anyway

Mrs.D.

wavey
Posted By: Steph321 Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 3rd, 2005 at 05:48 AM
I would cut at a node, the cutting should be about 2 inches long. Also remove any flowers as they take up enery. Put the cuttings about an inch into soil and keep moist, also will need alot of indirect light. After 2 or 3 weeks, the cutting should have taken. That is how I have rooted them. Good luck with your cuttings

Also, I would take as many cuttings as you can to increase the odds.

*****Steph wavey
Posted By: Steph321 Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 3rd, 2005 at 05:51 AM
Just in case you may not know, a node is at a joint of the plant.

Happy Gardening

*****Steph
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 4th, 2005 at 08:02 PM
STEPH

Thanks for the post

I will definately try that.

Just one thing, do you cut above, or below the node? wavey
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 4th, 2005 at 08:05 PM
sorry steph......

do you think it is worth putting rooting powder on the bottom of the cutting?
wavey
Posted By: Anonymous Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 5th, 2005 at 12:12 PM
cut below the node, so the roots can grow from the node. and i do belive in rooting powder even though i forget to use it...
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - November 15th, 2005 at 10:20 PM
JIFFYMOUSE AND STEPH 321

Many thanks for your help and advice smile

Am definately going to give it a go

wavey
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - December 3rd, 2005 at 04:33 PM
well......i tried....and i failed...miserably!! lol :p

tried to do everything right, but alas, no joy
eek

any suggestions? wavey
Posted By: tkhooper Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - December 4th, 2005 at 07:33 AM
I have better luck with cutting when I keep them in the shade during the rooting process. I use a rooting hormone that is a liquid. I have no idea if that would make a difference. Also I would add that the soil needs to be sterile and kept moist not wet throughout the rooting process until you see new growth starting up. But then I haven't tried doing impatients yet. I have my seeds to start them next year and look forward to having them but not yet.
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - January 25th, 2006 at 01:15 AM
hi hoop...thanks for the post

Unfortunately all of the cuttings have now died and the mother plants have died too. eek

I kept them in the greenhouse, but alas, i dont think they wanted to survive til next year!!

I tried really hard, but to no avail.

Well.never mind....i shall try again this year

wink wink

take care

Mrs.d.
wavey
Posted By: obywan59 Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - January 25th, 2006 at 04:14 AM
I've tried new guinea cuttings with rooting hormone in potting soil with rotten luck. (pun intended). I've since found, that for me at least, they root better in water.
Posted By: MRS.D Re: can anyone help with New Guinea Impatiens? - January 25th, 2006 at 10:34 PM
thanks for that wink
i will definately try them that way

take care

Mrs.d.
wavey
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]