A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Useless Jes George Washington ??? - September 26th, 2006 at 05:00 AM
Did he take down my apple tree? I read you have to plant the whole apple to get a tree in about a year. Is it true? Tell me! thumbup
Posted By: johnCT Re: George Washington ??? - September 26th, 2006 at 07:21 PM
From what I understand, it's difficult to get apple trees to germinate and grow from seed. You're better off buying a grafted sapling that has combined the variety of apple you're looking for with a superior rootstock.

Of course, one of the great things about gardening is that it can't hurt to try! thumbup
Posted By: badplanter Re: George Washington ??? - September 27th, 2006 at 08:24 AM
Of course, one of the great things about gardening is that it can't hurt to try!
and that's the truth! thumbup laugh

I'm going to try to grow it from seed, just to see what happens...i'm not going to plant the whole apple though....i'm just eating th apples, and saving the seeds...
Posted By: stokes4show Re: George Washington ??? - September 30th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
Ive tried from seeds every year and nothing ever came up
Posted By: kennyso Re: George Washington ??? - September 30th, 2006 at 08:34 AM
We have a big ole useless apple tree with tons of rotting apples, none are edible but there are usually seedlings all around. I would say direct sow them in the fall or better yet, just toss the core in a hole and bury it.
Posted By: chrissy fair Re: George Washington ??? - October 1st, 2006 at 08:08 AM
I would suggest you plant the WHOLE apple not just the core. It will have a better chance of sprouting with all the flesh around it, it doesn't just rot, but feeds the seeds the stuff it needs.
my grandson likes to plant "things" mostly rock...weird but he IS only 3. anywho, he planted an apple his mama gave him, the WHOLE thing and it sprouted. They now have a 2 foot tree in the backyard and he calls it his Gabby food,(Gabby is his baby brother not even 7 months old) for when he gets older
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]