A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: floweringchild an acorn instead? - September 12th, 2006 at 12:16 AM
I mangaged to snag a few seeds from both my hotpink/red and light pink/blush dinnerplate hibiscus. Seems the blooms are over. ters

An acorn instead?

[Linked Image]

Okay ya'll, I'm new at this seed thing so give me a break! laugh Should I cut off the stem on these seeds?
Posted By: kennyso Re: an acorn instead? - September 12th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
I'd say peel or open up the acorn thing, it seems like the acron to either made up of differnt sections or the skin thingy is just like that. try searching on the seedsite.co/uk to find a pic of the seeds (sorry I'm just too lazy to do it, LOL :p )
Posted By: floweringchild Re: an acorn instead? - September 13th, 2006 at 12:41 AM
Hi Kennyso,
I was just kidding about the dinnerplate hibiscus seed looking like an acorn. laugh laugh These are actually seeds taken from my dinnerplate hibscus plant. idea
Posted By: kennyso Re: an acorn instead? - September 13th, 2006 at 03:19 AM
Thanks for letting me know, all I know is that hardy hibiscus seeds are small tiny insy round seeds, I honestly though for a moment that they were hiding inside! That does look big!
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: an acorn instead? - September 13th, 2006 at 05:22 AM
Stephanie, those are the seed pods...break them open to get out the seeds inside. wink There will be lots and lots of them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: an acorn instead? - September 14th, 2006 at 11:02 PM
Yep...You'll have probably around 30 to 50 seeds in each of those pods when you break them open. smile
Posted By: floweringchild Re: an acorn instead? - September 15th, 2006 at 10:28 AM
kennyso, hey! wavey
I think my hibiscus are perennials! wavey TulsaRose,
Hummm, seed pods. I took that pic on macro setting. They appear much larger than they really are. Should I cut open anyway?

tcmers, wavey
Hummm, best way to get them open?
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: an acorn instead? - September 15th, 2006 at 05:17 PM
Stephanie, perennial and Hardy Hibiscus are one in the same as opposed to the Tropical Hibiscus. wink As far as your seed pods go, they appear to be from a Hardy Hibiscus and all you have to do is give 'em a good squeeze to pop open the outer shell covering.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: an acorn instead? - September 16th, 2006 at 04:25 AM
flowering child,
I let mine split open on the plant and cut the pod off before the seeds fall out. I've never actually tried to open the pod.
Posted By: floweringchild Re: an acorn instead? - September 16th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
TulsaRose wavey
Ah! I'll try squeezing them. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks

wavey tcmers
That's interesting. Thanks for your input!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]