A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 27th, 2006 at 09:50 AM
I have a bunch of Hot Peppers..They are all Green
Is there a way to rippen them off the vine?? Does it affect the flavor at all?? I plan on making hot sauce with them!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 27th, 2006 at 12:46 PM
It is only July..
I'd give 'em a wee~bit of time...

But if you have some that are like
one large one on each plant..
Pull that one particular one...
Then give it a wee~shot of a foliar
feed of a liquid fertilizer with a
high middle number...

That will send a couple messages to your plant..
One, the main big pepper is gone..*which
was on it's way of making seeeds to the plants' mind*
It will start producing more flowers and give energy into maiking and ripening the one's you have then...
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 12:04 AM
Thanks Weezie... I did Pull a few of the big ones off My Plants... The reason is I bought some from the Market that I wanted a bit more Ripe..

I strung them with thread and humg them in the sun... Hoping it will help some at least!!
My Peppers are doing really good this year! Many are very close to ripe right now clp
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 12:53 AM
Hi Rita wavey
Remember...letting them get red on the plant will bring the heat to the max...but even when they're green, they're still hot!! I'm so hasty when it comes to my hot peppers...I'm constantly picking them when they're green. I just use two green where I would use 1 red. thumbup

Christina
(Still sorry about usin' your dragonfly pic. shocked )
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
laugh laugh That is fine Christina I really did think it was FUNNY... I was laughing my butt off!!

Yeah Keith likes them REALLY hot ... He was bummed he could eat the habenaro just fine and not much burn... I guess I will have to wait on the hot sauce for some hotter peppers to ripen off our Plants!! eek
Thanks Christina
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 03:20 AM
Depending on what type of peppers they are. There should be some red on the peppers, if you are planning on drying them- if there still green, they may not turn red after picking, and may end up rotting. Maximum flavor and heat comes by letting it ripen on the plant. You can use green chiles to make a green chili sauce, but they should be used fresh- not dried. Thick walled peppers dont dry well such as Hungarian Wax or Jalapenos. You can cut them an dry them in a dehydrator though. Jalapenos can be smoked dried in a smoker (that is what Chipotle is!)Chipoltle is made when the Jalapenos are red though.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 04:33 AM
Thanks.. Makes a lot of sense!! I have the mother load of a drier too it is a Cabella Has 16 trays HUGE looks like a wine fridge thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 06:21 AM
Rita, I selectively pick mine so I can use them fresh. It is SO HARD to wait until they start changing colors. I am rally trying to be patient this year cuz I wanna make ristras. Will see if that actually happens or not.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 08:20 AM
ristras ???What is this triss??
Posted By: Triss Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 08:24 AM
[Linked Image]

This is a ristra. You hang them for decoration and once they are completely dried, you blend all the peppers for the spice cupboard.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
That is so vibrant,
I Love the colors on that!!!!

Did you make it???
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 09:47 AM
Wicked Cool Triss thanks for the Idea... thumbup
Posted By: Triss Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 28th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
No, I did not make that one. I have made them before but that was a gift from my SIL Carolyn.
Posted By: Tamara from Minnesota Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 31st, 2006 at 12:14 PM
That is so cool!!!
Posted By: DeepCreekLake Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 31st, 2006 at 01:24 PM
You can even make Ristras into wreathes like this:

[Linked Image]

Heres a link on Drying peppers, and making Ristras. It is from Fiery Foods.com, and is a page ran by Dave Dewitt. His books on hot peppers are great- lots of recipes, and uses for peppers, as well as history, and of course gardening!

Drying Chiles- Making Ristras
Posted By: Triss Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - July 31st, 2006 at 01:29 PM
That is a great site. Loads of information!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 1st, 2006 at 11:26 AM
Sorry to jump in here, but I'd like to know how soon I can pick off my peppers. I planted the stay-green ones and have some about 4 inches long.

They're looking so great on the vine I'm having a hard time deciding when to pick the first one.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 1st, 2006 at 12:07 PM
Hi Rosepetal wavey
Stay green ones? I've never heard of those. Are they a type of chili? What are they called?
You can pick a pepper at any time really. Just try picking one and eat it. If you like it..then I'd say they're ready for you.
Though, I would like to know the name of these peppers you're talking about.
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 10:13 AM
Hi Christina

The pepper I planted is called "staysgreen" and is "the world's first sweet pepper that stays green from August till October", or so the advertizement said in my catalog.

I'm doing my pictures now so in a few minutes I'll add a few pictures.
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 10:28 AM
Here are my pictures for the "Staysgreen" peppers I planted. Most of the plants have peppers on them. These pictures do them no justice, they are so pretty in real.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 10:39 AM
No justice?? Those are some gorgeous plants with some gorgeous peppers!! So green, so healthy looking!! I pick some of my peppers at the size you're showing, others I leave longer to grow larger and/or to turn red. I'd say pick one, eat it and enjoy!! thumbup

Christina
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 10:56 AM
I will !!!!!!!!! flw flw
Posted By: Triss Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 11:04 AM
Those look great!!!!!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 3rd, 2006 at 11:49 AM
Wow, on the plants
and a double Wow on the peppers..

And you did those in POTS/CONTAINERS??????

Great job!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 5th, 2006 at 11:51 AM
We've never had good luck with peppers outside with all our wind here, so I decided to give it a try in the greenhouse, did lots of other veggies too.

It's been a real pleasure working in this type of environment.

Some are doing well and others have been quite a challenge for me.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 6th, 2006 at 01:19 PM
Rosepetal, those are really gorgeous.
How are you going to prepare them?
I'd like to try those next year !
I'm a container gardener, so the fact that you got these beauties in containers gives me hope. wink
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Hot Pepper Question About rippening?? - August 8th, 2006 at 10:28 AM
I'm planning on making pepper jelli with my peppers.

And we will be eating them fresh from picking time, as well as putting a few in the freezer for stews and soups.

The catalog I use is "Stokes". I can pm you the address if you like.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]