A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Jimmy V Carrion Cactus - October 15th, 2006 at 12:24 PM
Here is a Carrion cactus bloom from Diane/Angelblossom.
Carrion cactus Bloom
Went to repot into a hanging basket wound up dividing it got two hanging baskets and still have one full pot left for my sister.
Hanging Basket 1
Hanging basket 2 .
I have given a lot away this sure grows fast. Thanks Daine
Posted By: comfrey Re: Carrion Cactus - October 15th, 2006 at 12:39 PM
Looks great Jimmy! thumbup Wow Diane is sure doing a great job spreading Carrion Flowers around the forum thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: Carrion Cactus - October 15th, 2006 at 07:45 PM
Comfrey I know she has shared a lot of it around the country. since she gave me my cutting I have devided it 3 times now and given a bunch away myself. Also have a bunch for my sister this stuff grows fast just stick it in the ground and forget it after awhile you will have more then you bargained for.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Carrion Cactus - October 15th, 2006 at 08:42 PM
clp It does grow fast, huh!! I got mine around the same time and it is multiplying like mad! Yours look great, Jimmy! Nice pics!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Carrion Cactus - October 16th, 2006 at 05:31 AM
how do you have your's growing so fast? mine just isn't.
Posted By: Tonya Re: Carrion Cactus - October 16th, 2006 at 06:45 AM
Is yours outside or in, Jiffy? I had mine on my porch steps in full sun in a unglazed, clay pot watering when dry and from the bottom. Duh I think it just happens to like the toads that "sleep" in the pot! laugh laugh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Carrion Cactus - October 16th, 2006 at 08:23 AM
Wow Tonya Well I just learned sometime from you!! I guess it depends what part of the country you live it I had mine in direct sun and it turned a pale green When I moved to the shady area( dappled sun) it becomes more green and healthy looking,, I believe Jimmys is Shaded mostly too except for AM sun!! Either way it goes I'm glad everyone is enjoying theirs..
Jiffy do you have it in cactus soil? I usually pot up in 1/2 cactus and 1/2 potting soil with a little extra sand in it.. I'll send you more in the spring with some fresh mixed soil to pot up in.. I won't forget ...!! thumbup thumbup

How's your doing Comfrey?
Posted By: comfrey Re: Carrion Cactus - October 16th, 2006 at 09:00 AM
Mine are still doing good, I have them indoors & will keep them in until spring, that is good to know about the shade or partial shade. I have mine under florescent lights, but maybe I should move them to a lower shelf that is not lighted????? I will watch the color of them and then move them if I see a change.
Posted By: njoynit Re: Carrion Cactus - October 18th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
I have mine on porch(till end of nov....)it gets some afternoon sun but rest of time is slightly shaded& have a 'blocker'plant.plumeria blocks some of the afternoon sun for a bit.It has grown some since I got mine from Diane too.SIL has not done a thing,but its not dead.It sits on kitchen table.

[Linked Image]

Those are 'mother of thousands' babies.they find their way into other pots than their own...even 4 ft away& UP.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Carrion Cactus - October 18th, 2006 at 08:14 AM
I just checked mine today and I have about 10 blooms Probably last run of blooms till spring, but it has bloomed off and on all summer.
Nice to share and see results!! thumbup clp clp
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Carrion Cactus - October 18th, 2006 at 09:24 AM
well, now that i know it can go outside, i'll put a piece or two in my "succulent trough". it is where i put things that are succulents that i don't know where i want, or i don't know how well it will do outside.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: Carrion Cactus - October 18th, 2006 at 10:09 AM
Diane - do your blooms have that stinky smell that I've always heard they get?
Posted By: Jimmy V Re: Carrion Cactus - October 19th, 2006 at 07:03 AM
Up till I transplanted these into hanging baskets They were also in unglazed clay pots I bottom water everything Only get early morning and late evening sun. The ones in the hanging baskets only gert morning sun they aere on my covered porch. I have habit when I change my bird water the old goe on my cactus and succulents have enough where none of them gets it more then once a week. This winter till bring them inside probably in November unless it cools off unexpectedly. Lynne my blooms did not have any smell I could detect at all and I did try and see what if any smell it might have.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Carrion Cactus - October 19th, 2006 at 08:03 AM
Originally posted by plants 'n pots:
Diane - do your blooms have that stinky smell that I've always heard they get?
I detected a faint odd smell but I can't say it was stinky.. and after reading you post I checked again as several of them have bloomed still just a faint aroma of odd but not stinky lala Sure am glad it's not
stinky! lala laugh
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Carrion Cactus - October 19th, 2006 at 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
well, now that i know it can go outside, i'll put a piece or two in my "succulent trough". it is where i put things that are succulents that i don't know where i want, or i don't know how well it will do outside.
Jiffy
It will be fine outside provided it doesn't get below 50 and stay there. thumbup
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Carrion Cactus - October 19th, 2006 at 09:06 AM
well, it will be ok until january then. jan & feb it will have to come in the house. but i kinda figured on that.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]