A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: tkhooper I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:57 AM
I had planted a bunch of cleome to close together so I tried moving some of them out of the container and around to the back of the building. It took them less than a half an hour to bend over and wilt. I guess they can't be transplanted can they?
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 12:59 AM
Don't be discouraged so quickly, Tammy!
I have moved them too, and they do pout and wilt for a while, but if they are not in direct hot sun, they should perk up in a day or two. If they are in direct sun, can you shield them a bit for a day or so?
Posted By: tkhooper Re: I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 01:07 AM
they are in a pretty shady location but I'll see what I can do to add a little more shade. Thankyou for the info. I thought I had done them in. They wilted so fast it was amazing.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 01:53 AM
Remember about some "transplanting juice"
one quick shot the day or so before you're going
to move it *if you know you are going to do it*
And when you transplant, make sure the area is watered once after transplanting, then water them with the liquid fert...and even do it one or two days after.. *doesn't have to be fullllll strength..* but just something...
Posted By: tkhooper Re: I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 01:59 AM
Thanks for the reminder Weezie. I fertilized on friday so I'll give them a shot maybe tomorrow?
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I killed the cleome I think - May 23rd, 2006 at 03:00 AM
That's helps alot with shock..
Kinda gives them a shot in the arm,
until those roots are ready again.....
Posted By: jbaby7162000 Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
hi can you get those plants in seeds,i think i have some seeds,are yours bulbs.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
Joanne, Cleome isn't a bulb plant. You can grow it from seeds and once it grows in your flowerbeds, it will self-seed profusely. wink

I've been hoping Tammy would post a picture or two of them now that they should be in full bloom.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 11:47 AM
is this cleome?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kennyso Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 11:51 AM
I think that might be a cleome
Posted By: Bestofour Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 11:54 AM
I think so too. TK, mine are very tall. What kind of container do you grow yours in? I'll bet they make a pretty container plant if you have a container that can hold them. And they do reseed - a lot.
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
Great picture Sheri!!!
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 26th, 2006 at 09:48 PM
Sheri, I really like that hot pink color...great picture! wink I have pink\white and lots of different lavender shades. This is one of my favorites...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bestofour Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 02:37 AM
so pretty Tula, do you want to trade seeds?
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 06:30 AM
Just sent you a PM, Sheri. wink
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 06:36 AM
Sheri - that is definitely a cleome - and what a beautiful color - I've never seen that color before!

Mine are shades of purple and lavendar mostly too, but I do have one plant the is white with pink in the centers - I've been trying to get a good picture, but they don't want to cooperate. Maybe later today if the rain stops.
Posted By: Triss Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 07:45 AM
I have white ones this year (first time growing them) and just LOVE them. I would really like more colors so if anyone wants to trade, PM me. I have oodles of seed pods right now that should be ready in a few weeks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 11:28 AM
I was able to get some shots on this cloudy day.
I started out with all purple a few years ago - don't know where this lighter pink one mutated from...

[Linked Image]

A purple baby that sprouted late this summer:
[Linked Image]

More purple that sprouted earlier this summer, next to my yellow dwarf cannas:
[Linked Image]

All these plants were volunteers from 2 years ago - I pulled all the volunteers out last year! So the seeds made it over 2 winters to sprout this summer!!!
Posted By: Triss Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 11:33 AM
Those are very pretty Lynne!
Posted By: weezie13 Re: I killed the cleome I think - August 27th, 2006 at 03:10 PM
Great color combo there Lynne!!! thumbup flw flw flw cool
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]