A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: sibyl my shade area needs help! - November 19th, 2006 at 12:10 PM
i have neglected my shade area this past year, it needs much work,
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

most of the soil washed out of around the pond. needs weeded badly.in the last pic you can kinda see the hedge roots, they needs all the dirt presherwashed out of the roots, [the hedge roots i got from work, they cut down, and took out there hedges and put in new, so i took the old ones home,] turned em upsidedown so the roots are up. it realy needs help, ideas would be great!
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 19th, 2006 at 12:33 PM
i think my lats two pics are too big!?
i should of said what kind of help i need, like what to put inbetween the logs/rocks around the pond so the soil dont wash out, i thought of concreat, but not shure what kind,
also bout he hedge roots, someone told me i should seal em, but im not shure how that would affect my plants, and i thought about puttin something around the bench for a vine,
the only thing i know for shure is fairy are goin by the pond, dragons by the hedgeroots, and gnomes by the gnome home [back of the 2pic],
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: my shade area needs help! - November 19th, 2006 at 10:14 PM
I put irish moss around my pond.. I just planted it last spring and was pretty amazed how fast it spread and grew!! This I love cause you can also walk on it without killing it!!

I will try to think of some kind of vine that is good in the shade!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 20th, 2006 at 03:00 PM
thanks Rita!
im puttin gotta get irish moss in my note book. wink
Posted By: cinta Re: my shade area needs help! - November 22nd, 2006 at 08:10 AM
What a great space to be creative. I would do the following....

1. Start digging the soil outside of the pond and use the soil to build it up around the pond. at that point you will have a trench outside the pond.

2. In the trench I would add some good compost or fill it with leaves and some garden soil now and let it sit for the winter. By Spring you will have a good medium to plant. Once you get some plants in there the soil will not wash away.

3. Plants I love Hostas, Ferns, some daylilies will grow in dappled shade. Just start going through the magazines and catalogs and finding plants that like shade that appeal to you.

4. For behind the bench....Some good shade vines Sweet Autumn Clematis and Honeysuckle I love Honeysuckle for the fragrance.

5. The reason people are telling you to seal the logs is so they do not rot. Put some plastic around them and seal them they will not hurt the plants. Or seal them before you plant.

I would use gravel, mulch leaves, stepping stones leading to the bench.

Where in Pa are you. I am in Pittsburgh.
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 22nd, 2006 at 01:57 PM
thanks Cinta,
got some good ideas,
i didnt know honeysuckles could grow in the shade, have a bunch by the garage! i'll have to make something for them to grow on,

i live by the border of west virgina, onlt 30-45 min to pittsburg,
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: my shade area needs help! - November 22nd, 2006 at 07:50 PM
sYou could also use some bleeding hearts...creeping phlox As for a vine you could use sooo many different ones.. I will find the link again... web page
Posted By: Anonymous Re: my shade area needs help! - November 23rd, 2006 at 05:34 AM
you could also put some ferns in that area - most of them like shady conditions.
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 28th, 2006 at 02:11 AM
diy trillis
found this site to make a trillis by the bench!
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 28th, 2006 at 02:31 AM
i have white bleedinghearts, pink are on my wish list for this spring, so is irish moss!
have hostas, and one little fern, and phlox.
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: my shade area needs help! - November 29th, 2006 at 05:51 AM
fern leaf bleeding hearts bloom all season..
you could plant anything you see in my PB account I only have shade in my yard!! laugh
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - November 29th, 2006 at 11:27 PM
you got ALOT! of nice pic in your albums!
i dont have that many in mine,,,,yet!
Posted By: SpringFever_dup1 Re: my shade area needs help! - December 1st, 2006 at 09:48 AM
laugh laugh laugh Hi I am rita and I am a picture a holic... I love to take pictures!! Anytime I have a camera in my hand!! But most of those flowers are grown in total shade...Even my button flower!! thumbup you can grow just about anything in the shade.. JUST not the super sunny flowers!!
Posted By: sibyl Re: my shade area needs help! - December 23rd, 2006 at 03:24 AM
laugh cant wait till spring! im gonna go pic crazy!
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]