A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: pagarden squirrel nest - May 26th, 2006 at 07:57 AM
we have a huge pine in our front yard with some wires running out the front of the yard that go past it. we usually have seen squirrels run by with a green pinecone in their mouth. lately we've been seeing them run towards the tree with leaves from the other tree. we looked around up in the pine tree and found a big nest almost to the top! we've been watching them for a while go back and forth bringing new leaves! cool! but i have a couple of questions--- do they build nests to have babies only or do they build nests to actually live in for good? will they disappear after the babies are old enough or are they our new neighbors?
Posted By: Squirrel Re: squirrel nest - May 26th, 2006 at 08:52 AM
I`m no expert, but I`ve watched them go back to the same nest time after time. I think that were the go at night. Babies or no babies. I think you have some new neighbors. Good for you. They are fun to watch! Enjoy. Sue
Posted By: Thornius Re: squirrel nest - May 26th, 2006 at 08:56 AM
Back when I was a squirrel hunter I often watched squirrels run into or come out of nests in the Winter, so I assume that they use them year round. You might check around the base of the tree for fragments of squirrel eggshells laugh

IN THE SPOTLIGHT
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wrennie Re: squirrel nest - May 26th, 2006 at 10:11 AM
The eastern gray squirrel dens year round. Welcome new neighbor!
heres more info
http://www.enature.com/flashcard/show_flash_card.asp?recordNumber=MA0118
Posted By: pagarden Re: squirrel nest - May 26th, 2006 at 02:46 PM
hey cool! i guess now i have a reason to get a squirrel feeder huh? oh i'm sure my husband will be thrilled as he already teases me about spending money on ther birds!

and thornius you confused me a bit. it's probably meant as a joke but what are squirrel eggshells???
Posted By: Mrs.Spud Re: squirrel nest - May 27th, 2006 at 08:00 AM
squirrel eggshells are a sure sign that a baby squirrel has just hatched.
Posted By: Squirrel Re: squirrel nest - May 27th, 2006 at 10:08 AM
Thanks for the web site on the eastern gray squirrel, Wrennie. Gives a lot of ingo! I just love watching the little guys. Now I know more about them. Sue
Posted By: pagarden Re: squirrel nest - May 27th, 2006 at 12:54 PM
umm..... i thought all mammals were born alive.
Posted By: Thornius Re: squirrel nest - May 27th, 2006 at 02:32 PM
Not squirrels. They are not true mammals but come from Eurypides, one of the small moons of Jupiter that is shaped like an acorn. The squirrels of Eurypides are hatched from eggs and have a technological civilization that is tens of thousands of years ahead of our own.
Posted By: Wrennie Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 12:16 AM
perpl
Posted By: porter57 Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 01:48 AM
and they taste like chicken!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 04:15 AM
frown frown not nice porter... this is for enjoying live squirrels... go to the recipe section if you want to talk about eating them...
Posted By: pagarden Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 09:40 AM
haha! have you all had 1 too many today or what???
Posted By: Thornius Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
One too many, What? sca (Thorn quickly wipes the squirrel hairs and grease from his mouth.)
Posted By: porter57 Re: squirrel nest - May 28th, 2006 at 04:54 PM
i thought this was for enjoying birds?
fricassee of young squirrel with vidalia onions
hmmm thats a treat. enjoying the very thought of it!
Posted By: ChillnPepper Re: squirrel nest - May 29th, 2006 at 03:26 AM
Here's what I can't figure...how do they swallow & eat soooo much UPSIDE DOWN?!?! I live in an older house (the screens are wooden framed with that 1 lil strip of wood across the center) and my squirrel (I now refer to her as MY squirrel! perpl ), Silly Squirrel, hangs upside down and eats....DAILY! Amazing. Like the Discovery Channel-Unplugged. Good newz! She hasn't destroyed the bird feeder as yet tho and it appears that she may have a few babes nursing. How many offspring do they have at a time n how often I wonder?

Thank goodness there are still things that make us go "Hmmmmmm...?...!" clp
Posted By: Thornius Re: squirrel nest - May 29th, 2006 at 09:55 AM
They probably have around 3-5 young at one time. I am not certain about that.
Posted By: ChillnPepper Re: squirrel nest - June 4th, 2006 at 09:34 AM
She had 2! She brought them over to play today! flw One is a lil' boy...they sure are cute rascals cool
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]