A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: johnCT First Bluebird nesting this season - May 20th, 2006 at 12:58 AM
By far my favorite birds. My pair, Fred and Ethel, just hatched their four eggs yesterday. thumbup
Posted By: Wrennie Re: First Bluebird nesting this season - May 20th, 2006 at 04:30 AM
I had a man in yesterday to get mealies for his wife to give their bluebirds who also have recently had their clutch hatch. Do Fred & Ethel often have more than 1 brood?
Posted By: Thornius Re: First Bluebird nesting this season - May 20th, 2006 at 04:58 AM
It is not unusual for Bluebirds to have several broods each Spring/Summer season. All the young from each brood stay with their parents until the next Spring at which time they leave to find mates of their own and raise their own families. Each brood helps their parents to feed the next broods that are born during the season. Bluebirds learn to be parents from infancy.
Posted By: johnCT Re: First Bluebird nesting this season - May 20th, 2006 at 06:14 AM
Not unusual at all. Wrennie, last year they had two broods of five fledglings each. It was my first year with them.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: First Bluebird nesting this season - May 22nd, 2006 at 10:43 AM
I saw my first bluebird today. I don't know where he came from but it wanted to check out the balsam for some reason.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]