A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Willowbug Starting new lawn on pitched ground. - September 17th, 2006 at 08:34 PM
We have been trying without success to start a new lawn. Our back yard is pitched just so much that when it rains or we even water the seed drains to the bottom of the yard. It looks great where the drainage ditch is, very full and green. We have tried placing hay over the seed, but it also floats down. We have dug up the ground, placed seed and covered it over with more dirt and it all (seed, dirt, hay) just runs down the back. We have tried to seed it 4 times so far and hope we will only have to do it once more. Any ideas?
Posted By: patches1414 Re: Starting new lawn on pitched ground. - September 18th, 2006 at 04:34 PM
Willowbug, I had exactly the same problem eek until I tried the Seed Germination Blanket. wink It is designed to help to control soil erosion and it also kept the birds from eating my grass seed. Duh
Posted By: Willowbug Re: Starting new lawn on pitched ground. - September 18th, 2006 at 07:13 PM
Thanks I'll check into it.
Posted By: Willowbug Re: Starting new lawn on pitched ground. - September 18th, 2006 at 08:54 PM
I found it but not sure if it will still be available as it's so late in the season. I will have to check. I found it on the Lowes website if anyone else is interested.
Posted By: myndful Re: Starting new lawn on pitched ground. - September 20th, 2006 at 12:13 AM
We saw an all-in-one grass starter at Home Depot last week. It's a fiber cloth-type thing with seed and fertilizer in between the layers. Apparently, the blanket-thing dissolves after the grass starts...

We had a problem with seed washing away as well. Did some research and found that sod will cost almost the same as all the seed, fertilizer and stuff.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]