A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Spectator Question on Three Sisters garden - November 10th, 2006 at 11:40 AM
Has anyone tried this particular setup of the Corn-Bean-Squash garden: http://www.reneesgarden.com/articles/3sisters.html ?

I want to try this next year, and would like to know anything to watch out for.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 10th, 2006 at 01:07 PM
Not me, but thanks for an awesome new website !
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 13th, 2006 at 08:08 PM
Great article, thankyou for bringing it to my attention.
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 14th, 2006 at 12:02 AM
I had heard about this last spring and I then planted my cukes and corn together to see how well they did. The corn provided way too much shade for the cukes, plus the corn was planted very close (to ensure good pollination) and it was difficult to get to the few cukes I did have growing in there. If you do try this--don't plant the corn as close together as the package says! Make sure you've got room to get in there and get your cukes.
Posted By: Spectator Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 15th, 2006 at 06:40 AM
tkhooper, Deborah L. - glad you like it!
LandOfOz - massive thanks for that!
Posted By: kennyso Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 15th, 2006 at 10:52 AM
I learnt about the three sister crops back in grade six when we studied aboriginal peoples. I'm going to try the corn and bean thing, my mom grow enough squash so I think I'll skip that
Posted By: weezie13 Re: Question on Three Sisters garden - November 15th, 2006 at 11:14 AM
Spectator,
I did the sister's one year..
The patch of pumpkins under it,
was soooooooo wild and outta control..
The poor beans on the back side, didn't get
much sun, but the one's in front produced like craaazzzzzzzzzzzzy!!
Just couldn't get into the patch to pick anything.
It was sooooo over populated with "Greenery"

I have the raised beds now, so I don't have
room for doing it that way any more..

Butttttttt I do always plant peas at the base of my corn..
The peas don't do allllll that well, but the corn loves it..
*I sacrafice those peas to the corn for the corn to grow*
I plant peas in several other places to get my pea crop...
and I don't really plant the beans, cause no one here eats 'em and I couldn't see wasting growing them..
But I did grow three different colors that year, green, yellow, and purple beans and they all did fantastic...
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]