A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: comfrey Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 07:19 AM
Here are my California Wonder Bell Peppers, I picked a 3 gallon bucket full of red ones and another 3 gallon bucket full of green ones.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: johnCT Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 07:31 AM
Oh Man Comfrey! Those things are gorgeous! Nicely done! I ended up not planting any regular bell style. I have Jimmy Nardello and Carmen. Both are the long thin style sweet peppers.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 07:34 AM
Here is what i made out of the peppers today, I ended up with 9 pints of sweet pepper relish.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pagarden Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 08:14 AM
oh wow! how many plants do you have???? they look gorgeous- my mouth is watering.....
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 08:29 AM
I have 28 plants...I always grow more then I have this year, so I can make this relish. Everyone begs for a jar.
Posted By: Deborah L. Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 08:48 AM
Well done, Comfrey ! thumbup flw
What do you put the relish on?
Looks like it would be good in potato salad and baked beans too.
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 08:54 AM
Beautiful!!! Now my mouth is watering for a good batch of Stuffed Peppers. Hmmmmmmm...I may have to make a run to the grocery store and get all the "fixins." lol! I bet the relish is wonderful!
Posted By: peppereater Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 10:06 AM
Wow! If you notice any of those peppers or jars of relish missing, well let's just say, innocent until proven guilty! lala laugh
I'm still wiating for most of my peppers, but yesterday I ate 2 yellow banana peppers that were turning slightly red. Oh, what a treat! I was never much of a fan of banana peppers before, but now I'm hooked.
I've canned a variety of pickled peppers, and to my surprise, sliced bell peppers are possibly the best pickles. Try 'em on a burger or sandwich....yum.
Posted By: angelblossom Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
Oh Comfrey Those look sooooo GOOD!
MMMMMM I'll pm my address you can send as much as you can pack in the largest box you can find! lala laugh laugh laugh

HI Peppereater good to see you on!! AHHH The relish is on it 's way to me!!!! laugh laugh
Posted By: Triss Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 10:19 AM
Looks so good Comfrey. Beautiful peppers and good looking relish as well!!! Great harvest!
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 11:22 AM
Hi Comfrey

What a sight and you've got my mouth watering overtime. laugh laugh

Can you share the recipe with us? I'd sure love to have it. thumbup thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 01:03 PM
Sure...the recipe is in the ball blue book..except I don't add the red hot pepper to the spice bag. The relish is good on or in anything you want to use it on....It is great mixed with mac N cheese. My mom will eat it right out of the jar laugh laugh laugh but I can post the recipe if you want...Let me know. I'll post it in the recipe section if you don't have the ball blue book.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 11:47 PM
Holy Shmoley!! Beautiful looking peppers Comfrey. What variety is that? Mine never get all that big. Duh
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 5th, 2006 at 11:48 PM
Oh..I read back again..I see the name of them. nutz
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 12:24 AM
Wonderful job Comfrey.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 03:02 AM
Those look too perfect. I think Comfrey bought a bunch of those plastic ones you get at hobby stores! p laugh
Amazing.
Posted By: ChristinaC Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 03:19 AM
Yep..and she could of easily copied the relish pic off the internet. laugh p wink
Posted By: peppereater Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 03:25 AM
:rolleyes: smile laugh
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 03:55 AM
Those are some gorgeous peppers comfrey! I think a lot of us are turning green with envy. laugh

Sarah
Posted By: penny in ontario Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 03:59 AM
WOW....great job there!!!
Posted By: lakegran Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 12:30 PM
thumbup What a gorgeous sight your shelf of canned pepper relish is. What could be more satisfying than raising then putting up such yummy looking treats .. Looks like Blue Ribbon time at the county fair.
Posted By: Bestofour Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 12:58 PM
Beautiful peppers. I planted 1 little plant and have had a few green ones, but those red ones look sooo good.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could all have a meal together and bring our vegetables. Who needs meat when we've got such beautiful veges.

I need to figure out how to fix the next gift exchange because I want Comfrey to get my name and send canned peppers.
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 6th, 2006 at 02:45 PM
shocked Wow I don't know what to say...These peppers are so easy to grow and care for...they are no work at all. I start half of them and when they sprout...I start the other half of my row. Now I plant them all out at the sametime or a week apart. The first set of plants will get those green bell pepper...then the second set will get green, but the first set will start to turn red....So I get great red bell pepper ones with thick walls and very sweet and prime green bell peppers all at the same time, perfect for making my sweet pepper relish. And I had thought about taking it to the county fair...but that is alot of work...I already have a few blue ribbons from the county fair kissies
Posted By: Rosepetal Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 8th, 2006 at 09:44 AM
Comfrey please post the recipe. Many thanks ahead of time.
Posted By: peppereater Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 8th, 2006 at 12:54 PM
Originally posted by comfrey:
Anyway I appreciate all the compliments and the teasing kissies
Our pleasure! thumbup p laugh
Great job, though, seriously. I've never had a crop like that.
Posted By: Amigatec Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 8th, 2006 at 01:21 PM
Mine didn't do that good last year, this year I planted New Mex, Anchos, Sweet Banana, and some other variety, can't remember.

But those are good looking peppers, and would be GREAT stuffed!!!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 8th, 2006 at 01:28 PM
Yes they would be great stuffed...I still have a ton in the garden to do something with..I will dry some for later use..but will still have way more then I need.

I will post the recipe in the recipe section for those interested.
Posted By: chenno Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 9th, 2006 at 04:09 AM
thumbup wow...there are awesome!
Posted By: comfrey Re: Peppers for Your Viewing Pleasure - August 9th, 2006 at 06:16 AM
Ok the recipe for the relish is here
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]