A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: Ronda Question about my Butterflly Bush - September 25th, 2006 at 12:09 AM
wavey
It is me AGAIN! I have another question. I just want to make sure everything is okay. Duh

I planted a Butterfly Bush this June. My butterfly Bush was leaning forward. It was almost laying on my sidewalk. The bush also looked "all over the place." I took 2 wooden stakes and some flower wire and wired the trunk part of the bush to the stakes so it was standing up better. Is this okay? I know once the first frost hits to cut the bush almost down to the ground ( I live in zone 5, WV). I have included some pictures.

Thanks AGAIN for the advice!

PS. It is a very rainy, cloudy, muddy day in WV. I hope everyone else is having better day.

Ronda
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Barb Illinois Zone 5 Re: Question about my Butterflly Bush - September 25th, 2006 at 05:10 AM
Hi, Rhonda!
What a great specimen of Buddleja - beautiful colors! If you have to give it support again, you may want to skip the wire (it could damage the branches) and use something softer like twine.
I use old pantyhose - fold them lengthwise and cut one inch strips across the legs. Gather up the resulting rings and cut them open - lots of cheap, soft, unobtrusive plant ties!
Also, you're right about cutting the shrub back for the winter but depending on the severity of your winters, you may want to spread some mulch around the base. Remember, even though its cut back, it still needs to get moisture until the ground freezes.
I'm wondering if the reason the plant grows out toward the sidewalk is that its seeking the sunlight? Many of the plants I have along the foundation on the East side of the house do that.
In fact, my peonies grow at a fortyfive degree angle until they're brought under control with stakes and twine!
Good luck!
Barb :-)
Posted By: Ronda Re: Question about my Butterflly Bush - September 25th, 2006 at 07:01 AM
Barb,
Great idea! I will do that next time! Also, thank you for the mulching tip. I will do that when I cut back my bush. I live in WV. You never know about the winters. Sometimes they are very mild and sometimes they are very harsh.

Thanks Again!

Ronda
Posted By: Ronda Re: Question about my Butterflly Bush - September 25th, 2006 at 07:09 AM
Barb,
PS Thank you for the compliment. I actually planted two. I planted one beside that Butterfly Bush, but for some reason it did not grow. I ordered them from Direct Gardening. Have you ever ordered from them before? Do you like there products?

Thanks again!
Ronda
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]