A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: badplanter share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 08:55 AM
I was wondering if anybody would want to post a pic of their aloe(s) here....just wanted to check everybodys out!

Mine is currently not worthy of posting.....

(I feel like i'm posting a question here, but i'm not! laugh )

Thanks!
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 09:19 AM
Here is a pic of my aloes when I moved then off the steps for the Tropical Storm a week or so ago. The little one on the left is the reason I found this place. It had rotted off at the root line and margaret e pell helped me save it! Now it is quite healthy!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 09:23 AM
This one was a rescue from a nursery. They were going to toss it because it got frosted on last fall. My neighbor took it and forgot all about it on top of her freezer in a dark room. I'll get an updated pic tomorrow...it is HUGE now!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 09:31 AM
Wow, thanks for sharing Tonya! thumbup

Very impressive!

My aloe is rather small, don't know how old it is though... not nearly half the size of the bigger aloe in your first pic...the color of mine is a light green...(not enough sun, probably)
It seems to droop as well, which makes it un-picture worthy... ( :rolleyes: )

Thanks again for sharing, Tonya! thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 09:45 AM
If it is droopy, are you overwatering? Here is what mine looked like when I came here... shocked

[Linked Image]

Downright pitiful!

My big one outside was a Wal-Mart special for either $1.99 or $2.99 thumbup Is your inside or outside? They love LOTS of sun.
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 09:49 AM
My big one outside was a Wal-Mart special for either $1.99 or $2.99
thumbup thumbup Wow!

Mine is inside, by a west-facing window...but only a few parts of mine droop...others are fine, and some, well, aren't...

Your little aloe had a great improvment! You "brought it back form the dead!" laugh
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 10:12 AM
You "brought it back form the dead!"
I give that credit to margaret...I just know how to follow directions! thumbup laugh laugh
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 10th, 2006 at 10:15 AM
laugh laugh thumbup
Well then...Way to go Margaret!!! laugh laugh thumbup
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 03:15 AM
shocked

I actually own a digital camera, I'm home from work early, and it's sunny. OK. Now I have to figure out how to use it and post the pics. I'll try...
Posted By: Kratz7 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 05:37 AM
Here's a digital photo of my aloe plants ....they are called C.J.'s Aloe as the main original plant belonged to my sister C.J..
I have had the Aloe plnt's babies for 10 years s, since she passed away. I love to give the babies away in her memory.

[Linked Image]

Let me know if you would like a baby aloe....to try...maybe we could swap for it

Kratz7
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 08:40 AM
I have 4-5 pots of aloe some look ok some not and some need repotted, but I'll get pictures in the morning and post them. badplanter...go ahead and post a picture of yours, maybe some one can help you make it healthier or happier.
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 08:43 AM
Thanks comfrey!

badplanter...go ahead and post a picture of yours, maybe some one can help you make it healthier or happier.
As soon as i find that camera.... :rolleyes: *sigh*

I know my aloe needs to be re-planted, i still have it in a plastic pot....
Posted By: LandOfOz Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 09:41 AM
Here is my photo of my cheap walmart aloe. I am getting ready to put it out in full sun soon, so it will turn a healthy red!
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 11th, 2006 at 09:59 PM
This is a recent pic of the second one I posted...BOY has it grown!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 12th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
Ok..here are mine, The middle one in the bottom row, I have had this pot going for 15 years and this old pot doesn't even have a drainage hole in the bottom, I have removed everything except one plant many times from it, but it is really a producer of babies and thrives even with neglect. The one on the bottom left doesn't get much light or water...And the bigger ones on the top row need to be repotted as does the single plant on the bottom right.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 12th, 2006 at 02:17 AM
NICE, Comfrey! Love your pots! thumbup
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 12th, 2006 at 08:58 AM
Thanks Tonya, as I said my aloe plants all need something or another, mostly just re potting would help mine. I collect flower pots from anywhere I can find them...I have so many and they are not all in the same place it is a chore just to find the right pot for each plant. Organizing all my flower pots into the same area is my winter project this year. I have a huge enclosed back porch with a wooden work bench across half of it, right now it is filled with this and that, boxes & jars. DH use to have a bunch of his stuff there, but recently gave the whole porch to me...It will be my plant/seed room. Its also my laundry room and its also home to a few plants that need protecting from the cats, the biggest Aloe are there, they use to be in the living room window until they were knocked out of the window by the cats and one pot got broken, so I relocated them to the porch...It has windows that all face south.
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 15th, 2006 at 06:35 AM
Well, i finally took a few pics of my aloe--well, not me, my lil' brother....but anyway, i nkow they aren't too good, but lets give this a shot....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 15th, 2006 at 07:23 PM
Cool, Mark! I would move this one to a window with more light if possible. It looks pretty healthy, but more light will cause it to stand up better.....
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 19th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
clp clp clp Thanks for posting your picture badplanter...yours doesn't look that bad.
Posted By: tkhooper Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 19th, 2006 at 04:13 AM
Hi everyone,

Mine looks like Kratz7's aloe except the leaves are much wider and mine lays down rather than standing upright. And of course right now it has a 2 foot flower stock on it. Wish I hadn't dropped the camera lol. It doesn't want to take pictures anymore for some reason. I'm such a clutz.
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 25th, 2006 at 06:23 AM
I just wanted to let ya'll know that i just repotted my aloe into a clay pot, with newer, hopefully better, cacti soil!
I'll get pics on as soon as i can, or if i happen to see a sudden improvement! thumbup

thank you all again for posting & sharing such great aloes!
Posted By: cinta Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 29th, 2006 at 08:46 AM
Well see them below. This one did not work
Posted By: cinta Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 29th, 2006 at 08:47 AM
Here are of mine LOL!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 29th, 2006 at 10:20 AM
Very nice Cinta! I love how you have all the succulents grouped together..It looks really nice.
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 29th, 2006 at 06:42 PM
Beautiful!! I love the grouping as well!! What types of aloe are those? I am a newbie to the cacti/succulent obsession! smile
Posted By: susang Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 30th, 2006 at 02:19 AM
Hello, I'm new here, but here's a pic of mine anyway. It's a little wilted from being re potted again, but now it's going baby crazy.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: angelblossom Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 30th, 2006 at 07:30 AM
good photos every one. Mine needs repotting but..., I guess I'll wait until next spring to do it :rolleyes: wink
[Linked Image]

wavey hello Susang and welcome to the garden helper!! Looking forward to more posts from you!
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 30th, 2006 at 10:21 AM
Angelblossom...Yours looks just like one of mine does. It is really great to see every ones Aloe's, so far I haven't seen a bad aloe plant, some us need to repot, but that is part of having plants...We have to always repot things and during the gardening (outdoor) season...repotting something just seems to get pushed to the back burner. A gardeners work is never finished!!! thumbup thumbup thumbup
Posted By: cinta Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - September 30th, 2006 at 10:24 AM
Hello susang. Nice pot of aloe you have there.

Thank you all for the compliments. Everyone have some beauties I have been admiring. The Succulents will have to come in soon it is getting cold. The summer sun really brings out the colors.

Tonya, the first one was identified as Aloe Green Gold. I do not know the name of the second one. I got that one in a trade as a NOID. It is bigger than any of the Aloes I have. I like you monster Aloe also.
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 4th, 2006 at 02:12 AM
I just got a new Aloe it is in a 2" pot and when I got it was so dry that you could lift soil and plant out all together...At least I know it wasn't over watered laugh Anyway it is called Tiger Aloe, notice the little bumps it has on the leaves, that's what got my attention, I hope it grows fast, it is suppose to bloom spikes of bell shaped orange flowers. I plan to repot it sometime in the future, to make sure it has good soil that will drain properly and also I want to put it into a clay pot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: badplanter Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 4th, 2006 at 04:12 AM
oh wow!

Thats one cool aloe! laugh
Absolutely amazing!
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 4th, 2006 at 05:17 AM
Comfrey - I had one of those a few years ago - I think mine was labeled Tigers Jaws - because of the spines that face inward like a mouth of sharp teeth. Unfortunately, mine got black spots all over it - never did find out what that was from.

I hope you have great success with yours - it's a very nice looking plant! thumbup
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 4th, 2006 at 09:34 AM
That is one cool looking aloe, Comfrey! I love the texture! Good find! I hope it does great for you!
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 12:42 AM
thought I would add mine. I have a few different kinds.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/gomerp618/000_0713.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/gomerp618/000_0712.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/gomerp618/000_0710.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/gomerp618/000_0708.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 04:48 AM
gomer, those are awesome! thanks for sharing
Posted By: myndful Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 07:01 AM
I really liked the third one, what kind was it?

Here are mine: [Linked Image]

The little one is tied to a chopstick...it was doing some really wierd curving growth thing, so I'm trying to encourage it to stand up straight.
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 09:25 AM
flw Gomer....Those are all nice looking Aloes!!!!! I love the third one also, do you
know the name of it??? I also noticed in your
photos all your plants look very nice. flw

flw myndful......Yours Look good also flw
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 10:50 AM
I don't know the name of the third one.. it was labeled 'aloe'.
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 12:00 PM
Originally posted by gomerp618:
I don't know the name of the third one.. it was labeled 'aloe'.
Does it make babies at sometime or do you know, I wondering about if you would be able to start a new one off if somehow. I'm going to search around, that is so interesting, And I know there are 100's (bunches anyway) of different Aloe varieities. And Thank You for sharing your Aloes!!!!!
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 10:06 PM
comfrey, yes it does make babies....there's one in the pot right next to it and if memory serves me correctly I had removed one once before and gave it to my mom.

I don't know what kind the second one is either, but that thing makes babies often too. There is one in the pot again right now, one in another pot I had removed before and I gave one to my mom.

I do love aloes, I just wish the stores were better at labeling them. Most of the time the label will just say aloe. The one store I usually buy from does the same thing with cactus. They just put cactus assorted on them too.
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 22nd, 2006 at 10:45 PM
I love your aloes gomer!! They are very nice....wish I could find some like that around here!
Posted By: mhuff Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 24th, 2006 at 03:30 AM
I think your third one is actually a type of haworthia...I can't remember the exact species right now, but hopefully it will come to me

Melinda
Posted By: myndful Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 24th, 2006 at 07:26 AM
I'd say you're right...

Haworthia

Looks like it to me! Oh goody, another plant to search for and get in trouble over...
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 24th, 2006 at 08:05 AM
woohoo! Looks like it finally has a name.. thanks!!!
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 24th, 2006 at 09:29 AM
Wow that is great that it has been identified: Here is a place where they have one simular for sale: Haworthia
Posted By: April07 Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 27th, 2006 at 06:11 AM
Want to share my new aleo but I don't know it name.
A friend of mine gave it to me on 25/10/06 and I am hoping it will grow big,big and big...... =)

Here is my aleo
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/april07_07/album/576460762332225351/photo/294928803472688583/0
Posted By: jbckwth Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 31st, 2006 at 12:54 PM
I need help with my aloe plant. It is 6 yrs old and getting very top heavy. I have to keep inside as live in Colorado. I am afraid am going to lose it. Please help my aloe. Can it be cut off and survive. The stem is very long and will not hold up the top.It is curving around.. I would show you a picture of it but do not know how. It used to look as good as the ones that seen here.
Posted By: myndful Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - October 31st, 2006 at 07:43 PM
When you say it is curving around, what exactly do you mean? Is it floppy, or still firm?

From personal experience, I would say repot, maybe a little deeper into the soil, and find better light. Go to page 3 of this topic to see what I did with my curvy aloe - it is looking much better since I posted that pic.

Good luck!
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 1st, 2006 at 10:54 AM
Jean...A picture would really help us help you...You can go Here to learn about how to post pictures using photo bucket, which a lot of people here use.

I would say repotting would help your Aloe, I would not cut it off, as it would probable kill your plant.
Posted By: jbckwth Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 1st, 2006 at 02:42 PM
Thank you for your help. Have 3 pix of my plant. photobucket photobucket

have heard that the roots are shallow so can not understand how repotting will work. It is just too top heavy.
Posted By: myndful Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 1st, 2006 at 07:54 PM
Yep, it's doing exactly what mine did. Mine started straightening out when I gave it more light and staked it. I would tie it loosely and gradually tighten it, if you stake it. Also, make sure the "back" side of the plant is facing the new light source.

That soil looks pretty wet as well. When/if you repot, let the plant sit out for a while to dry the roots, and don't water for a few days after repotting.

Hope this helps!
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 2nd, 2006 at 11:32 AM
Jean.....It look's simular to one of mine also...if you go back and look at my bigger ones, which I need to repot. What I would do is get a deeper/larger pot and pot it deeper, which should help and also pot the baby up in a new pot by itself.
Posted By: jbckwth Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 3rd, 2006 at 07:48 AM
Thanks for the tips.. Will try the repotting..Will try to bury it deeper in the pot. In order to put it in a bigger pot it will have to be on the floor and there is no direct light on the floor. Will try to move it in front of the window to get more sun since is winter now. It always moved away from the direct sun before. Have already seperated the baby out and it is doing great.
Posted By: Dixie Angel Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 3rd, 2006 at 09:48 AM
Here's my aloe:

[Linked Image]

Dianna
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 6th, 2006 at 03:10 AM
I think I finally figured out how to do this. If so, here are some of mine.

http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k97/mepcharm/
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 6th, 2006 at 08:27 AM
Dixie Angel, jbckwth, your aloes want more sun! Aloe Vera comes from the Canary Islands. Sun, lots of direct sun, and not much water. If they get enough, they may sun-tan. This is not a problem for the plant. IMHO this is not the prettiest aloe, just the most readily available. The more sun they get, the better they look.
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 04:16 AM
Wow Margaret....All your plants look great, I esp liked seeing the Fenestraria flower.

I recently moved a couple of Aloe's that didn't get much light or any real light under florescent lights, and at first I noticed that one started turning reddish looking....Now it is standing up proudly, greener with reddish tips and looks so good compared with how it did look.
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 04:24 AM
Margaret...what do you do with all of your plants in the winter, do you have a special place for them? Do you do any thing special to keep them going through the winter?
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 06:49 AM
I have big south and east facing windows and I have made long, narrow tables to go in front of them. I also have lights set up in the mud room. Even with the lights, A. Cameronii is only red outside in full south-facing sun.
Posted By: plants 'n pots Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 07:27 AM
Margaret - I'm so glad to see your plants up close and personal!
I didn't get a chance to see each one when I was at your house - they looked great as a group, but this is even better getting to see each one - thanks so much for the link to your album!
Posted By: 1978LespaulCustom Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 09:18 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p287/78lespaulcustom/Aloe/fuji039.jpg

Here is my big monster Aloe! Aloezilla!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 11:00 AM
That's a nice plant!
Posted By: 1978LespaulCustom Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 11:27 AM
I just hope I can keep it nice! We shall see! LOL!!
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 7th, 2006 at 09:15 PM
"Lots of sun and not much water in a fast draining soil" is the mantra of happy aloe growers!
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 8th, 2006 at 01:27 AM
Margaret- Your aloes are awesome!! I made a list of the ones I want to try! laugh laugh
Posted By: comfrey Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 8th, 2006 at 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Tonya:
Margaret- Your aloes are awesome!! I made a list of the ones I want to try! laugh laugh
laugh laugh laugh So did I Tonya...I have it on my desk right in front of me. Well I guess we know what to get each other, if want to ever exchange gifts...LOL
Posted By: Tonya Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 8th, 2006 at 02:18 AM
thumbup Yup!! laugh laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: share your aloe... ( ! ) - November 8th, 2006 at 01:04 PM
I can tell you where I got them, if you'd like.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]