A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: chermoni Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 22nd, 2006 at 12:50 PM
I'm trying to get some ideas for a plant that I can put in a hanging pot in a corner of my living room. The corner where it will go faces southwest and gets a lot of sun. It's a corner between 2 joining windows. I'm having trouble trying to think of something that will look good in room that has 2 pothos and 2 philo's, but tolerates a lot of light.
Posted By: margaret e. pell Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 22nd, 2006 at 01:13 PM
Rhipsalis would like it and they have very different growth habits from the vines you currently have. Here's a place to look at them:
http://rhipsalis.com/index.html
This is the one I've seen in nurseries, as a very small plant. Mine grew quite quickly, though it hasn't flowered as prolifically as in the picture.
http://rhipsalis.com/species/cereuscula.htm
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 22nd, 2006 at 02:04 PM
I used to have an ice plant that did extremely well in the sun. Here is a link to some info on it...
Ice Plant

It is a succulant, so it has a really different look. The flowers have an almost metalic look to them. My flowers were purple colored like the one in the picture on the link...I don't know if they come in any other color.
Posted By: Patty S Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 23rd, 2006 at 02:53 AM
Ice Plant also stays in flower for a long time. (I hope the color won't clash with your living room!)

Jenn, what do you mean, you "used to have an ice plant"? Duh
Posted By: hisgal2 Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 23rd, 2006 at 08:21 AM
The ice plant had a run in with a furry feline friend and didn't recoop. I want another one horribly, but I'm afraid to get one before we move.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 27th, 2006 at 01:19 AM
i was thinking tradescantia (wandering jew) both zebrina and the plain green one. i have them mixed together in a hanging pot and they seem to love the sunny area!
Posted By: tkhooper Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - November 27th, 2006 at 03:33 AM
I have the purple passion plant and it is great in a sunny location. Although it will droop if it doesn't get enough water. And you have to make sure and pinch off the buds before it flowers. It's a fly polinator peeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuu lol.
Posted By: chermoni Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - December 4th, 2006 at 02:13 AM
I just bought a jade plant the other day. I couldn't resist it, I've always wanted one. I know they are supposed to be good in bright light but I've never seen one in a hanging pot. I think I may give it a try and see how it goes.
Posted By: flowerpower313 Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - December 5th, 2006 at 12:34 PM
I have 3 different varieties of Jade. They are very easy to take care of. My favorite is sometimes called "Pig's Ear".
Posted By: TomR Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - December 6th, 2006 at 08:50 AM
Lets not forget the holiday cactuses! Christmas, thanksgiving,easter!

Tom
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - December 6th, 2006 at 10:23 PM
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
i was thinking tradescantia (wandering jew) both zebrina and the plain green one. i have them mixed together in a hanging pot and they seem to love the sunny area!
Totally agree! I love my wandering jews...They are great hanging basket plants. thumbup And you can cut and root tons of them off one plant. muggs
Posted By: gomerp618 Re: Hanging house plant that likes sun? - December 8th, 2006 at 12:41 PM
I would say yes to the wandering jew too! I have my hoyas in full sun and they do well. I also have one of those arrow head plants in full sun and it's doing great (I have that one in a pot mixed with pothos and purple passion vine). I have an aloe in a hanging pot too in a sunny window, also a goldfish plant. How about an asparagus fern? Mine is in full light, but isn't doing so well for me right now because it's in a room I don't frequent that much and I keep letting it dry out, but when I remember it on a regular basis it does great in a sunny window.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]