A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: wuhu racoons digging up my lawn - September 14th, 2006 at 11:34 PM
I recently re-seeded my lawn and have been (until last week), enjoying a beautiful lush green landscape. In comes the problem! Racoons! They are digging up my lawn in various areas and totally ruining all of my hard work. I have heard of leaving a radio on and urine but I really would like to learn of other ways to get rid of these mean and destructive pests or at least stop them from visiting my lawn nightly!
Any suggestions PLEASE!
Posted By: The Plant Doc Re: racoons digging up my lawn - September 16th, 2006 at 03:42 AM
The coons are more then likely out there digging up grubs. It happens this time of the year, and again in the late spring. The best way to counter the coons is by eliminating the grubs from your lawn. This can be done with an application of grub preventer in the spring time. One application lasts the entire season if applied correctly.
Please see the other thread in the lawn care category concerning grubs for a lot more information.
At this point youwill need to put down a grub killer, not preventer. There are many on the market, just make sure you follow the directions on the label, and water it in very well!
The radio may keep them away for a little while, maybe a few hours at best, and the urine won't do a thing. It is a Madison Avenue gimick. It does nothing to scare the critters away. That is why hunters use it as a cover scent when hunting.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]