A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: mrw rugosa roses - August 11th, 2006 at 07:32 AM
Is anyone familiar with rugosa roses? I have grown some from seeds(rose hips) and they are currently in the garden (nursery section) and are looking quite healthy about 4-5 inches tall, lots of leaves. I would like to separate them and move to another location within the next week. I wanted to know if they need special care for the winter, eg heavy mulch, or is there anything I can do to help the babies survive til spring? Thanks!
Posted By: digital flower Re: rugosa roses - August 23rd, 2006 at 11:22 AM
I have never grown the Rugosa Rose from seed. I have it in the garden and it is quite a bit of work keeping it under control. You had better get a good pair of gloves. wink I don't think they need any special protection to get going.
Posted By: CapeCod Re: rugosa roses - August 23rd, 2006 at 11:20 PM
In New England (Cape Cod especially), it grows wild. I don't think Mother Nature does much to protect it from the elements. I have never tried "borrowing" a few shoots from the sandy soil where it is usually found, but, now that you mention it....!!
Posted By: TulsaRose Re: rugosa roses - August 24th, 2006 at 12:47 AM
Is this the type of Rose you have? If so, be prepared for vicious thorns. laugh The various canes will jump out, grab you and wrap around you like snakes. lol! But the blooms are gorgeous and oh so fragrant...it makes it worthwhile. wink
[Linked Image]
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]