A Gardeners Forum
Posted By: mazda Witchazel Jelena - January 12th, 2006 at 02:51 AM
I have only one witchazel, Jelena. It flowers twice a year, sparsly in August/September with yellow flowers and profusely in December/January with orange flowers. The two colours of flowers are all over the plant, not one colour localised in one part and the other elsewhere. I don't know if this is characteristic of Jelena as I know no-one else who grows it. I'd like to know what the cause is - temperature sensitive pigment, perhaps? Any information greatly appreciated.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Witchazel Jelena - January 12th, 2006 at 05:45 AM
maybe it is male + female flowers
Posted By: mazda Re: Witchazel Jelena - January 16th, 2006 at 10:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion RugbyHukr, but it isn't likely, as they appear some 8-12 weeks apart so couldn't fertilize each other. I have been in touch with one of the holders of the National Collections of witchazels, and she replied yesterday to say that it is a characteristic of some grafted varieties that they produce flowers the same colour as the stock plant at a different time of year to the ones expected, both colours appearing on the graft, but nobody seems to know why or how it happens. It is a great relief to have my observations confirmed, even if no one knows the science behind it.
Posted By: BFVISION Re: Witchazel Jelena - January 19th, 2006 at 07:14 PM
Hi Mazdz,
What zone are you in over there? I am in zone 6 and have never seen this tree, only heard about it.
Posted By: RugbyHukr Re: Witchazel Jelena - January 19th, 2006 at 11:22 PM
If you have any woodlands near you, you may be able to see witchhazel. Locals back east call them 'wild forsythia' due to early spring, yellow blooms in the woods.
© A Gardeners Forum [Archive]